Early July

{{gwi:629512}}

Late July

{{gwi:629514}}

Early July

{{gwi:628347}}

Late July

{{gwi:629518}}

The daylilies did great this year with all the rain we had up here.

{{gwi:629521}}

I unfortunately don't have any "before" pictures from June, but this area was overgrown with brush and was extremely uneven land. We had someone come in to give me a new "blank slate". The whole area for the garden (I had to give my DH some lawn!) is about 150'X30' or so. I already have a bunch of trees and shrubs lines up to go in this fall and next spring, and then I'll work on getting the perennials in. I am sure the deer are most excited about what goodies I will be planting for them!

{{gwi:629524}}

It always amazes me how much a garden can change its appearance in such a short period of time. And sometimes with the help of heavy machinery!

Comments (14)

• gldno1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is just amazing! It looks wonderful. How I love the backdrop of a picket fence....wait that has to be painted doesn't it.....I know why I don't have any.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

A month makes an amazing difference in warm weather. Your daylilies are beautiful.

I was disoriented at first. Your current garden in the photos is that next to the front of the house, enclosed by a picket fence?

The area that was pictured cleaned off is 150 x 30 feet, located at the back of the house, and you are adding trees and shrubs and perennials to it? There is lawn between the new garden and the deck? Do stone steps lead up from the front to the back?

You must have tremendous views out your front windows.

Nell

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

Gorgeous in July and August !!! What a beautiful job you did with combining plants for long bloom. I can't wait for your blank slate to be filled in - anxiously awaiting pics this fall. You have an outstanding property, be so proud !!
    Amy

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nell, yes I think you have your bearings correct! The front of the house has the farmers porch and the picket fence garden. Then there is the slope down to the road. There is a set of brick steps that leads into the front of the cottage garden.
    {{gwi:629527}}

If you walk up the driveway from the street we have a couple sets of brick steps/paths leading up to the arbor to take you into the cottage garden.
    First set of steps
    {{gwi:629529}}

Continuing on to the next set of steps
    {{gwi:629530}}

If you continue straight down the driveway you come to the stone steps that lead up into the backyard through the split-rail fence. You can see the opening in the back-yard photo in the first set of photos in the OP.
    {{gwi:267307}}

As you move across the "new" lawn (yes that is hydroseed) and backyard area to the other side of the house it brings you back into the cottage garden area...
    {{gwi:628353}}

...to a place for relaxing by a chiminea. This is a view from the side of the front porch.
    {{gwi:629533}}

I'm fortunate that we have a good-sized yet manageable piece of property. The area to the right of the driveway is the next phase after I work on the backyard for a few years. I ran out of room around the house and on the slope which is why this year I bit the bullet and spent some money to get the backyard ready. A lot of the plant material is coming from what is growing already against the split-rail fence and the back deck. They have been in a sense my "holding" areas.

Views out the front windows are of the cul-de-sac and woods so it's not bad. A little too much asphalt for my liking but it's nice and quiet up here so I'll take it.

Gldno, I had to laugh at your comment about the picket fence. It needed a paint-job something awful this spring. We have a very good painter-friend. When we asked him about it he said "get VINYL"! We really struggled with the decision to paint or get a new fence, but we just can't do vinyl anything. We absolutely love everything wood even though there is more maintenance. So...we had him paint the fence. It had held up fairly well for about 8 years so I can't complain. There's so much of it and my DH and I can never seem to find the time for that kind of upkeep so we just pay to have someone else do it. I love that garden so much I'm willing to shell out the money every 7 or 8 years for paint. Who knows maybe in another decade the vinyl fences will look exactly like wood. A girl can dream, can't she?!?!

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Gezz, these pictures and your yard is amazing. I would love to just wander around in your garden. I just can't get over how beautiful everything is. Great, great, job.

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Breathtaking! I could look at your pics for a loooong while. : ) Your shrub/perennial borders are perfection. You really have a knack for mixing textures. And the cottage garden - be still my heart! Love it!

Your blank slate looks like it will be a perfect place for more trees and shrubs, and of course some bloomers. Hope the critters don't use it as a salad bar. ; )

Beautiful home, beautiful gardens! Magazine worthy! TFS!
    Diana

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The late summer/fall plants are starting their show now.
    {{gwi:629536}}

I'm a big fan of Chocolate Joe Pye Weed. Can't wait for it to start blooming.
    {{gwi:629539}}

And NY Ironweed.
    {{gwi:629541}}

{{gwi:629545}}

I really enjoy to watch the garden go through its many changes as the seasons progress.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Wowzer! That is great. I love the little stone paths that take you differnt directions in your picket fence garden. I would still kill for those stone steps! I like the ferns spilling over and growing in the cracks. Really softens it and makes it naturalistic.
    I love that Ironweed. I need to get me one of those...
    Thank you for sharing thyme2dig!
    CMK

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love Hibiscus. What a statement they make in the garden.

{{gwi:629549}}

{{gwi:629553}}

One of my favorite golednrods is 'Golden Fleece'. This patch is about ready to explode.

{{gwi:629556}}

Everything is picking up the yellow/golden tones now. I always look forward to this time of year in anticipation of the flaming orange colors! The Fairy and carpet roses should be in full bloom again shortly on the slope.

{{gwi:629559}}

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

Now we're talking, that is truly a cottage garden .... magnificent!!! My goodness, the evolution is incredible and it will continue to evolve over the years. Great job!

Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

• janroze
    14 years ago

digger, what a gorgeous propert, home and gardens. Thanks for showing them.
    glad, you are sooo funny.
    gramma jan

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Ahhhhhh.

I can't wait to see what you have done with that huge swath of land you have cleared. Hurry up, spring!

Renee

• memo3
    14 years ago

This is the first time I have seen pictures of your garden. What a gorgeous house and property. Your garden is just stunning! All of your efforts have been rewarded. It's very very nice. Thank you for sharing your pics with us.

MeMo

• floweryearth
    14 years ago

Thyme,

It is a garden like yours that makes me want to save every bit I have and move way up north. I am willing to take on the winters if I can have the cottage garden of my dreams!

Magnificent.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz