Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Tomatoes waiting......

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

.....to be made into tomato sauce!

{{gwi:629960}}

Will someone come wash my window, please?

Comments (9)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

They look luscious! I can't find a place outside to lay my tomatoes; something keeps robbing me. I used to lay them out on the picnic table under an apple tree.....Now I need to build a mesh tent to keep them safe.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Brandwines are very meaty and tasty but I got alot of "cat faces" this year and other strange deformities. I pick them when they are just getting pink, they ripen pretty quickly; best be cooking the ones of the windowsill asap. Never thought of the mesh tent idea, I have one of those but I'd have to weight it down so it wouldn't blow away.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Yum!
    I love Brandywines...any old way you slice 'em! I love to eat them fresh off the vine. So sweet and good. They make the very best spaghetti sauce you could ever lap your lips on!

How come you guys don't let them vine ripen? I do.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I let some vine-ripen, it's just that if I see others getting buggy or splitting I'll pick them before they get too bad. Know what you mean about Brandywines, I can cut up a big one, put a little salt on and that's my lunch.

• Annie
    14 years ago

They look so good!
    I didn't grow any this year. Spring was rotten with all the late deep freezes and snows so I didn't get all my usual tomatoes started, and then it has been such a BAD year for veggies of all kinds in my garden this summer. No squash made fruit, no green beans and very few okra or tomatoes. Slim pickins! Pitiful in fact.
    So, they probably would have been a big let down anyway. And the insects have been just HORRIBLE this year! Jeez!

But NEXT year...I am growing my Brandywines again.
    You and me both Christine...right off the vine with a little salt. Scrump!

• janroze
    14 years ago

They are beautiful. I got early wilt this year-in my brand new bed, so what do I do in the spring?
    gramma jan

• natal
    14 years ago

Why do you leave them outside?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gnats will sometimes gather around them if I leave them on my windowsill inside the house. They don't stay out there long, just until they ripen.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

MMMMMMMMMMM, those will make such sweet sauce! I've had only yellow Brandywines this year, but have been making sauces out of some black tomatoes, romas, Juliettes (by the score. These are PRODUCERS) and then some of the sungolds. My sauces won't be anywhere near as rich and complex as yours will be though, Brandywines are the bomb!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz