Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Corkscrew vine

gldno1
14 years ago

I first saw, actually smelled it first, at a local garden in town. It was on the end of an arbor in the Master Gardeners'

Display Garden. I finally chased down what it was: Vigna Caracalla or corkscrew vine. It was grown at Monticello by Thomas Jefferson. I had a heck of a time finding the seeds so I was very late getting it planted. I didn't know if it would have time to bloom or not. There have been a few clusters of buds on it forever. I was standing on the end of the porch this morning and smelled the single bloom before I saw it! I have about a month or more before frost, but I don't know how it will respond to our cooler weather. I am hoping for a few seeds.

{{gwi:630062}}

{{gwi:630064}}

I will try to winter it over in the milk parlor to get a jumpstart on next season.

It is extremely fragrant. I am just thrilled with it.

Comments (9)

• Annie
    14 years ago

That is lovely!
    I got a huge box of seed packets from a "neighbor" several years ago. I was thrilled. All kinds of flowers, some I had never heard of. I was ecstatic! The box was filled with packets of Livingston Seeds, not a brand they sell in this region of the country, but I was very familiar with the company. However, for some reason, nearly every packet has failed to sprout. Thousands of seeds of all kinds of flowers and few have sprouted and fewer still have grown to adulthood, sad to say.

In the box are two packets of the Corkscrew vine seeds. I had not tried to grow them, so thanks for the heads up on the fragrance. Maybe some of them will sprout for me next spring. I hope so.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

I had one several years ago. It froze that winter.
    The scent is wonderful.

K

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One of the blooms has taken on the yellow shade. I took this picture this morning. I am sitting at the computer and the window is open. The vine is right at the end of the porch and I can smell it inside. My desk is next to the window.

Here is a picture to give some idea of where I am in relation to the vine.

{{gwi:630066}}

and the new bloom showing the yellow now:

{{gwi:630068}}

Hopefully, I will have some seeds to share.

glenda

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

The yellow bloom will drop off in a few days. Hopefully it will set a seed pod.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Another scented must have :o). Is it an annual or could I winter it in the greenhouse? Must search for a source that will send to Canada. I think I saw one somewhere just have to remember where.

Annette

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

Isn't that the cutest plant ever!

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

I am so glad you had success with this. This is on my wish list also. I love scented bloomers and that flower is so pretty and unusual.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

• janroze
    14 years ago

It is so sweet. gramma jan

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    8 years ago

Late to this party. I just planted some seeds. They are just now sprouting. I don't expect it to grow much this year with cooler weather coming. So, it will work on setting roots and be ready to grow next year. It appears that it will climb on it's own vs some other plants that I have to work with.

Can anyone tell me how long it will be before I can expect to see a bloom (so I can collect some seeds) next year? In zone 8, I'm expecting it to die back every year and come back the following Spring. I hope that sounds reasonable.

Would anyone have some extra seeds that I could trade for?

Sponsored