Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Sun Flowers for Sept.

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

Some Shaggy Sunflowers that were suppose to be a single, orange citrus color! Oh, well, they are cute:

{{gwi:24015}}

A table set for the birds - a big sunflower seed head I bought from a friend selling pumpkins,gourds and all manner of dried flowers and weeds at a craft show recently, I just tied it on the fence like I do my others:

{{gwi:630083}}

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

When I grew sunflowers one year, they ate the head almost before I realized the seeds had matured. I didn't do any this year and wish I had.

The birds will love it.

glenda

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Later in the day after I posted, a bright red cardinal was sitting on the big sunflower having a snack. I crept away to get my camera, but he must have seen my movement in the window and flew off.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was hoping to gather seed from this Shaggy, but so far I do not see a single seed. I wrapped some of the flower heads in row cover cloth thinking I'd keep the birds off at least ; but no need as there seems to nothing there. When I part the spent bloom, I see the tips of the dead petals but only with white or very light brown what seem to be immature seeds. When I squish them there doesn't seem to be anything substantial in there. I should think by now I'd see small black sunflower seed. That's what I remember planting, flat dark seed.

Has anyone else harvested seed from Shaggy Sunflower? Maybe it's just still too early? I did find one round dark seed deep in one flower head but soon realized that a bird must have hidden some bird seed in there! ha.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Christine,

Some of the hybrid sunflowers are sterile, I have discovered. Bummer. I grew Teddy Bears last year. I loved them. Cute fuzzy and so bright, their fuzzy yellow faces peeking out of my vegetable garden where delightful.

I love your idea of tying them onto the fence for the birds to access. A real treat for the eyes and the birds.

Your photos and gardens are always a treat for my eyes.

~Annie

• thinman
    14 years ago

Your sunflowers look a lot like some Double Quick Orange that I grow each summer. I don't know what the deal is with the seeds, but I can't remember ever seeing seeds in any of the double flowered varieties that I've grown. I guess that doesn't really mean too much though, as most of mine are cut before they get a chance to produce seeds. Still, some always get away from me and it seems like I would have seen at least a few. I'd love to go out and look, but they are all history at this point. I'll have to pay more attention next year. Can you wait?

ThinMan

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure, I'll wait ThinMan. I had promised some seed to a fellow Cottager but I don't think I'll be able to share any - esp. from THIS Shaggy.

Annie, it could very well be true about this variety - being sterile.

• dahli22
    14 years ago

great flowers! looks like you have an awesome limelight hydrangea too. thanks for sharing.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks dahli22. Limelight hydrangea? No, pretty sure it's not that variety. You're seeing the flower heads after they have finished blooming. The hydrangea was here when I moved in 31yrs. ago and I'm betting it was here many years before that. It's gets huge if I don't keep it in check. The flower heads are white.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022