Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

What DH and I did on my birthday

A couple of pics of where DH was and what he was doing.

The bigger fish is a 9lb. 2oz. Cutthroat, DH beat son's record of a 8lb. something.

{{gwi:630133}}

The next 3 were taken in front of the cabin.

{{gwi:630135}}

{{gwi:630138}}

{{gwi:630141}}

The new bigger cabin, the roof is on, door in, but windows have yet to be framed in, the bedrooms will be on the second floor.

{{gwi:630145}}

AND... this is some of what I did, somehow this seems a little out of balance.

{{gwi:630147}}

Well maybe not, my birthday present was a new flat screen TV :o)

Annette

Comments (12)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Annette, that cabin is in a picture perfect spot. I could live there! Just beautiful.

Be sure to show us when it is all finished. Will you be able to stay there during the coldest months?

Glenda

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda, I have yet to go up there, it's a 6 hour drive from where we live, add another 2 hours on to that for DS2, they have 10 acres just outside of Victoria.
    Our son and his wife spend as much time there as possible, they built a smaller cabin for starters and when our DIL retires they will be spending even more time there. They have a generator and most of the comforts of home. They do go up there in the winter and sometimes spend Christmas there. I hear the plan is to get me up there next summer :o). I think our son deep fried a turkey there last christmas, pretty fancy but then he's quite the chef.

DS2 built this cabin by himself in three weeks, having to cart all the materials by hand in a 12 foot boat. Mind you he had his supervisor (wife) handy if he needed a hand :o). The end wall will have windows overlooking the lake.

Annette

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

What a beautiful place to have a cabin, away from this crazy world we live in. The views are beautiful!

A flat screen TV sounds nice. Enjoy.

FlowerLady

• User
    14 years ago

WOW the drive wouldn't be a problem as I would only make it the one time LOL. Up there and that would be that. Very similar area to my uncle's place on Oak Island in Lake of the Woods MN. He had the resort for years and years. His son took it over and then finally sold it. I have talked to the owners in the past year or two. Would never recognize the area now. It is FULL of resorts and they have updated all. None of the old cabins are even there anymore.

Your place looks wonderful. I don't know how you stay away. c

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Wow, Annette, that IS the cabin! I love the surroundings, exactly where I'd love to be.

Xuan

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Annette, I forgot to mention the work you did. I count mine by pickup loads too! I am impressed.

Congrats on the flat screen TV. What I love about them most is that you can pick them up and move them so easily. In fact they are so light weight the one in the LR came with anchors to fasten it down to the stand.

BTW, I got a new pressure canner.

Glenda

• plantlady999
    14 years ago

Annette, Jim has a nice catch there. Did they eat them or is Scott going to mount the big one for Jim. That would be hanging on my wall in the living room... LOL
    Also nice looking lake. You should go, if not I will...

Sue

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue, there's lots of big ones in that lake, it's just a matter of catching them, not easy. No it's not going to be mounted it's in the freezer in pieces. Asking Scott to mount it would be like rubbing salt into the wound LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    14 years ago

That lake is stunningly beautiful. I would love to canoe around in it all day long and try to catch some of those outstanding fish. What a dream place for a cabin.

On the other hand, you got some serious gardening done, and it's hard to beat that. But ooooh, that lake is so purty. :-)

I can hardly believe that your son got all the materials in using a 12 foot boat. Where there's a will, there's a way. And he built it in 3 weeks? Wow. I think it would take me a week just to shingle the roof.

Fun pictures, Annette.

ThinMan

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

What a picturesque birthday you had -- and a new TV!

Nell

Original Author
    14 years ago

TM, the lumber was dropped off roadside, then carried down to the boat, then a short run to the property which the kids lease from the government. The foundation was poured in the spring so that had already been done, he had to haul the gravel in for that too.

Nell I don't know how picturesque looking at the prunings and weeds is, but it was a very satisfying feeling once I'd loaded them all in the truck :o). DH is the one who had the picturesque view.

Annette

• mora
    14 years ago

I love it!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor