Courtyard garden in September

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 15:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Courtyard garden in September

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 18:02

Very nice! Wish my garden looked like that this time of year. We're having a heatwave---it is supposed to reach into the triple digits next week! Becky

o

So so pretty. I don't know what any of the blooms are . Can you name some of them? A really enchanting area. You have so much space to work with I just love it. c

o

Second photo (same blooms that can be seen in first photo): bush clover (rose-pink), wild ageratum (blue), lobelia (dark blue), an annual bedding geranium (bright pink).
Third photo (same blooms in 1st): phlox (pink,lavendar) and Honorine Jobert anenome (white). And if you look way back you can see my new little Blue Moss Cypress tree (inside the sun halo the camera made).

Fourth photo: Nasturtiums and allysum surround the bird bath, can not remember the name of the variety of nast. thought I'd kept the seed packet but I just looked and nope it's not there. Someone else posted a pic of the same nasturtium today, maybe they know.

o

Schoolhouse, your garden is absolutely lovely!

o

Thank you schoolhouse. My problem of course is not much full sun areas to plant. I can do allysum and I am going to move the lobelia as it is struggling in the shadeed area in back. I plan on more phlox and am going to do candytuft.

Really pretty. c

o

WOW! So beautiful. The stones are perfect and I love that little sitting area in your 2nd picture. Are you in the process of doing a topiary on the hedge in the first picture? And is that your teapot topiary in the first picture? I remember someone had a great post about the teapot. Was that yours? Everything looks wonderful!

o

Thanks everyone.

thyme2dig, yes I'm trying to turn the one end of the old juniper hedge (on the right)into a three-tier topiary. The hedge is pretty old and lopsided to begin with, so getting the layers to stand out and be somewhat even is a challenge. I should have trimmed it again before now, definitely will try to take the scissors to it before cold weather sets in for good.

That is the teapot topiary, and the little shrub to the left in front of it will be the teacup eventually. I just started that this Summer.

o

I just love your gardening style! You have everything looking just perfect.

o

trailrunner,

Have you tried lobelia vedriansis? I have mine in full shade and it's performing beautifully. This is its first year and it has grown to almost three feet tall and flowered literally all summer. It's still blooming now! One caveat: it spreads through runners, so you need to be careful where you plant it.

Megan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here