Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

The puppy who went to live with the irises

Just thought I would update for anyone who is curious. This is the latest picture of Gairden's Johnny Cash aka Casey who went to live with Ann and Bob at Trail's End Iris Garden in Ontario Canada and his very own kitty, the lovely Miss Lucy. He is now just over 6 months old and is looking really good! Apparently they just love him! That warms my heart so much and is the very reason I breed these very intelligent and beautiful dogs!

{{gwi:630421}}

Comments (10)

• Annie
    12 years ago

Oh, he is so beautiful!

I had a mixed breed of Border Collie and Chow Chow. His name was Mike. He was the best dog I ever had. Smart, protective (Saved me from snakes many times). He was great with the kitty cats and my grandbabies too. He loved going places with me. He was never aggressive towards anything or anybody, and got along with all dogs. I took him with me just about everywhere I went. Never needed a leash. He loved riding in the truck with me. He loved everybody and they loved him. He NEVER left the property. I did not have to fence him in. He protected my chickens and watched over the chicks and ducklings and kept them safe. I have so many cute pictures of Mike babysitting the chicks. I miss him so very much and still cry over him sometimes.

Beautiful, beautiful pup!
    I'd like a dog of his size. Not too small and not too big. Small enough I can lift him if need be. Collies of all breeds are the greatest dogs.

My English Shepherd is registered with the National English Shepherd Rescue Assoc. He is like the old time breed. Probably weighs 80 lbs or so. He had been abused, so still has some issues, but he has overcome so much, and overall, he is a great dog. I think he is beautiful. He has the softest wavy fur and big sappy light brown eyes. Always smiling. He is quiet and has a very gentle and sweet disposition.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Must post pics Annie! I would have to say my favorites are the herding breeds followed by the northern breeds. But I kinda like dogs in general......or just to clarify things, I am a certified animal nut! ;)

Dogs with Wayne earlier in the year in a post below this one entitled Finally stopped raining.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here.

Shelties are one of my favorite breeds.
    I always wanted a shelty. When I bought mine the lady said her dogs never get to any more than 18 lbs.
    Wonder which half of Fancy is 18 lbs
    Like most shelties, she is so sweet. And not shy like some I have seen.

Fancy. This is my favorite pic of her.

{{gwi:596939}}

Fancy
    {{gwi:621026}}

I, too, have gone to smaller breeds

Maeve is a toy fox terrier and weighs 6 1/2 lbs.
    She is the smartest dog I have ever had.

{{gwi:630424}}

Here she is doing her darnedest to get Diane's chicken.

{{gwi:630425}}

And BeBe the wonder dog.

He has to be hand fed due to megaesophagus

{{gwi:630426}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pics of your beloved pets. I see a lot of cats on here and I love to look at them too but it is nice to see dogs. I have been loved by many different breeds over my lifetime and all have been special to me.

Plantmaven ~ Not one of my shelties matures under 18 lbs! And they are registered, show quality shelties. It is a constant challenge to breed shelties that stay within the size standards but I don't worry much about that. I breed for temperment and intelligence. They just happen to be beautiful too! Fancy is one of those beautiful ones! They are all intelligent, including the toy breeds like your little fox terrier and poodle. TFS!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

When I got fancy I had a groomer that came to the house to pick up my cocker. This lady was a sheltie judge here in TX. She said she knew breeders that would kill for a coat like Fancy's. BTW she is registered as "Miz Fancypants". I had to have here spayed because she had dermodectic mange. I could not in good conscience take the chance of passing on genetic predisposition.

The breeder I bought her from said, "my dogs don't have mange!!!"

Fancy is a wonderful girl and would have been a good mommy. She takes any puppy that comes here under her "wing".

My best friend is also a widow and shares my home has a pomaranian. Between us we have 4 dogs and 1 cat. It can get lively around here.

Original Author
    12 years ago

My first sheltie had so much coat I called her a musk ox. She is no longer with us and the line I have now are not super heavy coaters. I had many issues with my first girl from breeders who bred to get coat like that and ended up with a whole lot of other recessive genes like DM. One of my Angel's relatives was named Fancy pants as well and had coat to die for. Unfortunately, she also died from DM. Do you still have Fancy?

Angel's father is a US bred dog going way back to original lines brought into the US. I have been very lucky so far that nothing serious has shown up in my dogs.....yet....my oldest being 8 1/2 yrs and full of life!

Angel taken August 2011 ungroomed candid pic
    {{gwi:615688}}

Gairden's Paint Bi Number aka Painter Angel's son @ 7 years
    (Casey's dad)
    {{gwi:630427}}

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Angel and Painter are beautiful!

Yes, I still have her and she turned 9 years this month.
    If I knew how to work the camera on my laptop, I would show you. haha

She does have back/disc proplems, as I do. Which is why I have gone to toy breeds. Even with hooks, screws and rods in my spine, I have a hard time lifting her into the car.

There is a shot that she gets once a month that is working to some extent. If I remember correctly the shot can be given more often. She can run, but getting up, walking and standing are hard on her.
    I feel obligated to stay in the bathroom longer if she has just laid down.

I have had so many breeds over my 68 years. My grandparents raised collies. So that is the first dog I remember.
    I took a dobie puppy that was going to the pound. Bigest chicken. She was very sweet and my oldest grandson learned to walk holding her tail. He was 3 1/2 when they moved to CA. He told people he had a dog, but she lived with grandma. Reba was born in April and Logan was born the next Oct. So we always said they were puppies together.

I can't imagine not having at least one dog.

Kathy

Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy

The DM will eventually affect their muscles and nerves. That's why it is so deadly. Shame on Fancy's breeder if she knew there was DM in her line. Sometimes it just shows up tho.....I grew up with a collie lab cross who was definately more collie looking and the sheltie across the back lane. My neighbour is still a sheltie owner and I am back in the house I grew up in. She is 80 yrs old and does sheep herding with her Border Collie as well. Many dogs in this neighbourhood and I love it being such an animal lover.

This is Gairden's Blackjack aka Jack looking all majestic like. He was watching a rabbit I think. My last puppy from Angel-now almost 3
    {{gwi:630428}}

And Jack's sister Gairden's Angel Of The Morning aka Graci whom I puppy sit every summer
    {{gwi:630429}}

I'll have to get a couple of pics of my other 2 girls now that Chloe is in coat again.
    I can't ever imagine being without a dog either! They are not my whole life but they make my life whole! :)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Oh, my, you bring back such memories. I had a Border Collie, Heelalong Ruffian Ben, who I showed in obedience for years; they are so smart, but keep you humble. He needed to be worked every day in order to be happy, and loved it, and so did I! He died when he was 16, and I felt like a little of me died with him. What a dog!!

Original Author
    12 years ago

I almost forgot that I had posted on here in the summer. Been spending a bit of time over on the pets forum since my garden is frozen up here in the north.

Ogrose ~ I used to breed BC's when my daughter was little and no one knew what they were. They are just too much dog for me now so the shelties are my companions. Of course, as you can see, I am still partial to black and white. Apparently they are the "in" color for shelties lately. Good thing for me as my line is mostly bi black and bi blue.

BC's are the BEST!!!! Most amazing dogs and I would love to have another. When I had them, they did not have a standard and could not be shown in conformation. Only working trials and obedience, I think. My foundation dogs came from Wales, world champion working lines. I've had shelties now for about 10 years; after I lost my last BC at 14. She was my daughters little sister! :)

Glad you have good memories of your BC. Dogs are just the best!

Ginny

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?