Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Some Sept Beauties

The hibiscus and giant chinese grass are 2 of my favorites this time of year.

{{gwi:630456}}

The bugbane has a sweet smell just like sweet autumn clematis.

{{gwi:630457}}

{{gwi:630458}}

I'm still not sure who likes the anemone more, me or the bees! (somehow there are none in this photo!)

{{gwi:630459}}

I can't wait for the chocolate joe-pye to pop!

{{gwi:630460}}

Autumn Joy Sedum, Hayes Starburst Hydrangea and I can't remember the name of the Solomon's Seal.

{{gwi:630461}}

This Echinacea is usually a thug in my garden but I chopped it way back in early summer and it is a manageable plant this year.

{{gwi:630462}}

Crymson Pygmy Barberry, Fairy Rose and Golden Fleece Goldenrod. All 3 are staples in my garden.

{{gwi:630463}}

I love Carpet Roses too. These and The Fairy bloom until they are covered in ice.

{{gwi:630465}}

I cut the asters back 2X this year so they are a little later which I'm happy about. They're just about to get poppin'. This pic also shows one of the yellow blooms of Hypericum Hidcote which has been blooming non-stop!

{{gwi:630467}}

There is still so much to look forward to in the fall. I hope the japanese maples have a good turn. Some years they are spectacular, and some they are duds. I'll post pictures if they are good this year!!

Cheers!

Susan

Comments (10)

• User
    14 years ago

wow Susan. Your garden is always so stunning. I wish I had that sun in the right places. Love to look at yours .c

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I wish I had some of that Bug Bane. Everything else looks great too, nice combination of colors and textures. Jealous of your asters, they always got eaten by rabbits or froze out over winter; so I stopped planting them.

My Chocolate Joe Pye is blooming and creates a bit of white in the right spot, but is not as full as yours.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Wow! These are some beauties.

I like that combo of the grass and hibiscus too. I have the same anemone that has been blooming for maybe two or three weeks now.

Your yellow flower makes me think of my Herbstonne rudbeckia. I swear each year to lob it off mid-season and fail and it gets 8 feet tall before flopping over. I did it again this year too.

Looks like a beautiful fall at your place. Hope the Japanese maples do outstanding this year and you post pictures. That's something I don't have.

glenda

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone. The garden loved all the rain we got this spring.

Glenda, thank you! Yes, that is Herbstonne. I couldn't remember the name. I always forgot to wack it down and it would be soooo tall and flop all over just how you describe. This year I figured I would cut it back to see what it would do. It was fantastic. It probably only got to about 5-6' this year. Hope I remember to cut it back again next year!

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

What lovely bloomers you have in your gardens. I love the anemones.

FlowerLady

• treelover
    14 years ago

Very nice! I just love that bugbane.

• thinman
    14 years ago

Wow, Susan! You just converted me. Giant Chinese grass and hibiscus are now two of my favorites too. Zowie, how tall is that grass? If you can grow those in NH, they should be able to take Michigan winters, I'm thinking.

The bugbane is very cool too.

OK, three things on my list - have to start looking for sources.

All your beautiful plants look so good. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

ThinMan

• MollyDog
    14 years ago

Gorgeous pictures. I especially like the one with Autumn Joy and the hydrangea...fantastic composition.

• dahli22
    14 years ago

wow. really like the anemone. does it stand up to rain?

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dahli22, yes the anemone does great in rain. I'm pretty sure it's the old standby A. tomentosa 'Robustissima'. It spreads a bit but is very easy to keep in check.

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County