Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph'

{{gwi:630497}}

Salvia coccinea - variety unknown

{{gwi:630498}}

Salvia farinacea 'Blue Bedder'

{{gwi:630500}}

Salvia longispicata X farinacea 'Mystic Spires'

{{gwi:630502}}

I need a white and a dark purple. My May Night did not do so well this year. I have one I think is called Evelyn's Sage, but it hasn't bloomed. I think it is pink and about 4' tall. Maybe next year.

What's your favorite salvia? Post pictures.

Comments (23)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Are those all perennial for you in NC? Very pretty, all of them!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

You have some lovely Salvias Tom I especially like your pink one, I can't pick a favorite yet as I have just planted Cardonna, East Friesland and Blue Hill, they are now in my holding bed until I decide where I want to put them. One I'm still looking for is Salvia azurea var. grandiflora it's supposed to be a true blue. A pink and a white would be nice too.

Annette

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Annette, I planted a bunch of East Friesland years ago and they were fantastic. Then I saw them paired up next to Blue Hill in pots at my local nursery and I loved the comination of the blues. So I bought a bunch of Blue Hill and planted them next to the East Friesland in the garden. The Blue Hill ATE the East Friesland. LOL! They completely took over to the point that I can barely see my EF anymore and will have to dig them out and move them. I'd be curious to see if the BH is a much more robust plant than EF in your zone as well.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yvonne's, subrotunda, and coccinea are annuals. The rest should be perennial, I think. This is my first year growing some of them. The Mystic Spires did not come back this spring, but that was my fault. I got an itch to rework that bed in the middle of winter and...well, let's just say I know better now.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Salvia coccinea, the regular old red, I forget the name -- is it Lady in Red? -- is starting to come up and bloom in spots. I didn't get a pic yet.

Saliva leucantha, or Mexican Bush Sage has buds and will be a 'reelly beeg shew' everywhere pretty soon. I have the solid purple and a bit of the purple with white.
    {{gwi:630503}}

One of my favs is S. farinacea, not very prominent here, but easy enough from seed and blooms all summer.
    {{gwi:630505}}

Salvia elegans, Pineapple Sage is just coming into bloom, too. It's planted this year in with pentas. The leaves are similar, so it keeps the Pineapple sage from looking as if there's nothing there all summer, when the pentas are blooming. There will be some color clashes, but some of the begonias were already clashing beautifully.
    {{gwi:630507}}
    {{gwi:630509}}

Nell

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I am growing more than I realized when I began checking. Of course my garden is winding down and the flowers are not in their prime. We are about 6 weeks from a frost here.

The largest may be salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue':

{{gwi:630511}}

I grow salvia farinacea, Victoria and Blue Bedder. All not looking so good now. They come up from seeds and have probably crossed to now they are all pretty much the same height. I have had some white ones pop up too.

I took this during poppy season:

{{gwi:630513}}

I grow the following nemerosas: Blue Hill, Snow Hill, Marcus, Plumosa, East Freisland, Caradonna. I have moved them so much I am not sure which is which except for plumosa which is a pink/burgundy one and the white.
    I am getting some rebloom on them now, but no pics.

Here is an old one of Marcus:

{{gwi:630515}}

I also grow one most people shun, but I love, salvias scalrea var. Turkestanica, or Clary Sage. It self seeds like crazy but blooms early and the leaves smell like grapefruit. It has huge hairy, silver leaves. I have it in an area out front so it can self seed all it wants.

Then another one that self seeds like crazy that I think is salvia 'Blue Spires'. This was taken earlier too.

{{gwi:630519}}

I grow Yvonne's red salvia which I have already posted. Another red spendens that is from seeds originally from Park's Whopper Lighthouse. It is a taller red one, about 24 inches and has done extremely well this year:

{{gwi:630522}}

and I am not really sure what this one is:

{{gwi:630526}}
    I think Lady in Red???

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda, I left out several too. I had completely forgotten about the black and blue I just purchased, at the same time as the salvia greggii. It looks awful since it was a clearance rack plant. I can't recall now, but I seem to remember a couple others I had forgotten about as well.

I tried growing Snow Nymph twice this year. None of the plants took. They all just up and died long before they got any size to them.

14 years ago

Glenda I just bought Clary Sage when out at the herb farm last week, I've seen it in bloom and loved it but I've never grown it. I don't know if I should keep it in the greenhouse for the winter or plant it out. I didn't check to see if it's perennial or annual. How does it grow for you?

Annette

• gldno1
    14 years ago

It is a perennial, hardy zones 4-10.
    Be warned it self seeds like crazy.
    I had it at the end of the garden and it was almost hedge-like. Mine gets about 36 inches tall and about 24 inches around, with basal large leaves and the bloom stalk rises up from them. Once you get it, I think you will have it forever.

I just realized the Blue Spires is another variety of transylvanica. No wonder it has such different leaves. Mystery solved. I have now listed all my varieties so I won't have to wonder again what they are.

Glenda

• treelover
    14 years ago

This is my only remaining Augusta Duelberg (aka Mrs. Henry Duelberg) that was about 30"x30" before I cut it back a couple of months ago. (After which she rebloomed, and is still blooming!) I lost 2 of her this summer. Some self-sown seedlings dried up, too. I need to take some cuttings.
    {{gwi:630528}}

I've also got a white salvia that looks like a greggii, might be 'Alba.'

My favorite, S. leucantha, is due to bloom in the next month or so. All this purple is a group of 3 of them, photo taken last year or the year before. They put on quite a show every autumn:
    {{gwi:630531}}

Tom, your 'Coral Nymph' sure is pretty.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Coral Nymph came from Carrie. She gave me a couple plants from her reseeds. You want seeds? I have already collected some.

• treelover
    14 years ago

I'd love to try them if you have some to spare. I'll send you an email.

Thanks!

14 years ago

I just reread the label, what I bought was Salvia argentea, Silver Clary Sage not Salvia sclarea. I think the flowers are more whitish than pink on this one. It's grown for it's large felted leaves. Anyone growing this short lived perennial? I'll keep looking for S.s.

Annette

• gldno1
    14 years ago

The clary sage I have has more papery bracts than flowers and the overall effect is white more than a color. I think they pinch off the bloom stalk on the argentea so it doesn't detract from the felted leaves.

• msmisk
    14 years ago

{{gwi:630534}}
    Pineapple Sage

{{gwi:630536}}
    salvia guaranitica Black & Blue

{{gwi:630540}}
    salvia farinacea Henry Duelberg

{{gwi:630543}}
    salvia oresbia

{{gwi:630545}}
    salvia azurea (picherii)

I'm glad you started this thread, token. I'm a huge salvia lover, and I have some that I don't have photos of - Hot lips, Augusta Duelberg, Argentine Skies. Salvias seem hard to photograph to me - I'll see this gorgeous mass of color, in person, but then in the photograph it loses its impact.

Carol

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Carol, those are some beautiful salvias....lots I can't grow here except as annuals. Do they all self seed?

I agree, photos, just don't do justice to the blues. I have two different Black and Blues and one has much more intense color, but the camera just doesn't show it. I finally gave up trying to capture the difference.

My Yvonne's are still growing! They have finally totally covered the unsightly gas tank. {{gwi:630547}}

• msmisk
    14 years ago

Glenda, they don't self-seed. They do spread around and I can dig up babies and propagate them that way. I collected seeds from azurea last fall and started them, and now they're nice little blooming plants that I'm taking to a plant swap soon.

Your Yvonnes are spectacular ! I got seeds in last year's swap and started them and planted them out, then the rabbits ate every last one. I was so sad. I'm going to ask for more this year.

Carol

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Thanks Carol.

I will have tons of Yvonne's seeds when they finally dry and mature. It is hard to catch them before they fall. This is my first year for them so I don't know if they will self seed after some of our cold winters. I also have a red medium height one, about 36 inches tall that I like; looks just like Yvonne's but shorter.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:435238}}

Pineapple sage. I found seeds today. I've read they're sterile. I will still take cuttings to overwinter in the basement.

I love the salvia oresbia.

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Token, that salvia subrotunda is awesome!

• frogview00
    14 years ago

Hey Token......got any spare seeds of that lavender salvia coccinea (variety unkown)?

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They'll be in the mail on Tuesday.

• newbiehavinfun
    14 years ago

gldno1,

I love the black and blue, especially the large, bright green leaves.

What is the white flower in the background of your fourth picture? Perhaps some kind of Joe Pye weed?

Megan

Sponsored