Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saffron

Posted by token28001 zone7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 12:52

These pop up here and there in the perennial bed. Down the street, the front yard of a rental house has huge clumps. I'd love to sneak down there one night and help disperse them. ;)

Course I never would, without permission.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saffron

Those are wonderful Tom. I really need to get some of those. I do have a fall blooming crocus, but I don't think they are the same. I wonder how one would go about gathering the saffron? I think it is the anther part isn't it? I know it takes quite a lot of plants to get the spice though.

Yours are so pretty, thanks for sharing.
CMK

o

Yep. You have to take off the stamen to get the saffron. It would take a lot of them to get just a little bit of the spice. I'm not 100% sure these are saffron crocuses. They could just be plain ol Autumn bloomers.

o

Very pretty. I don't have any fall blooming bulbs so I love to see what others have now.

glenda

o

These are very pretty, but they aren't saffron crocus. Saffron crocus have red stigmas and these don't.

o

I guess they're just the plain ol Autumn crocuses then. Oh well, they're still pretty. :)

o

Lol! Guess it was a good thing you didn't pick them to sprinkle on your rice then! He he.

I sure wish mine would become a bigger patch like yours though! Maybe I will just have to buy more.
CMK

o

There used to be a lot more of them, before I mulched and planted things around them. These came up this year in the new path where I cleared out some privet seedlings and tossed out grass seed. I think they like dry summers, and the mulch was keeping them too wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here