Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

A bit of fall color at our place

Pink Dogwood (Cornus florida var rubra)

Closeup of foliage

Virginia Creeper and Russian Lace Vine my wanna be stone wall, once the boards don't show who's to know LOL.

Porcelain Vine doing it's thing

Annette

Comments (15)

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Your V.Creeper is so red! Mine doesn't seem to do that anymore. And I never knew a pink dogwood tree's leaves put on such a show in the fall. JB's got the berries on my Porcelain Vine when the berries were just forming. :(

I wonder if you could get some of that real stone veneer and stack it up the wooden fence? or stick it on somehow? I suppose the wood of the fence wouldn't be strong enough to support it, I probably would give it a try with just a few to see how it works. Or is that too tacky?

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Annette, those colors are just beautiful!

At least you have a nice, solid enclosure. Does it go around the whole back yard?

I like the yellow of the porcelain vine too. I am not familiar with that one.

• thinman
    14 years ago

Wow, Annette! First Glenda's dogwood and now yours. Is yours always such a bright red in the fall? I'm going to have to do some research on dogwoods to see if they will survive here. We have lots of sugar maples here, but they generally turn yellow and orange in the fall. Red is not very common.

The Virginia creeper is a beauty too. That definitely grows up here. Is it invasive at all?

Thanks for the great photos.

ThinMan

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda, yes we have a 6 foot stockade types fence around all of the back yard, after we had it built I found out we could have built it 7 foot, oh well.
    This picture was taken from my neighbors side of the fence. My Virginia Creeper goes along the fence for quite away but the piece of it showing in the picture is actually in my neighbors yard, we let it grow over a frame work she built to enclose a small sitting area out of the sun.
    I took this pic to show how covering a fence can mimic a wall, that is if you have a good imagination. The ivy creeps along the fence between the two yards for quite away. A nice view for my neighbor from her bedroom window, on our side it softens the look of the area where we have the oil tank and 5 compost bins.
    Further up the fence we have a Tangutica clemie which drapes over both sides of the fence all summer long with it's yellow flowers and silver seed heads.
    I gave my neighbor a rooted cutting of Actinidia kolomikta, the variegated kiwi vine to plant on her side of the fence, it's now big enough that it now is hanging over on my side so I get to enjoy it's pink and white foliage on this side of the yard too.
    On the other side of the yard in my little courtyard the fence is completely covered with a mix of English Ivy, the same Actinidia, Clematis 'Bluebird' and a summer flowering dutch Honeysuckle. I was concerned about the Ivy creeping over my neighbor's side but he loves it, he keeps it trimmed with a hedge trimmer and it looks like a well manicured hedge not a fence on his side. Further up this fence I have a rose, clemies, and this neighbor's honeysuckle spilling over it.
    Every time I get concerned about my plants and vines creeping over onto my neighbor's side of our fence I'm told we'll look after it on our side of the fence, don't you dare cut them down :o).
    I've tried three times to grow the evergreen clemie on the fence that forms the back wall of my garden room with no luck, every second or third year we have a freeze in late winter that does it in so this fall I planted a variegated Akebia vine, the one with the silver variegation to see if I can cover the fence with this, fingers crossed.

Annette

Original Author
    14 years ago

TM, yes our dogwood puts this show on every year, we don't have much red in the natural landscape here either, you have to head out Nancy's way to see the reds.
    The Virginia Creeper we have gets a bit of a haircut in the late summer that's the only thing we do to it. The clumps of blue berries it forms are an added bonus.

Annette

• frogview00
    14 years ago

My Dogwoods have NEVER looked like that. Gorgeous!!!

Jim

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

That is such a great idea to cover the fence with climbers. It looks great, especially with the color of the virginia creeper.

• User
    14 years ago

Really beautiful. Frog is right...the Southen Dogwoods don't look that red. Our color is still SLOW...will post something when/if we get some. c

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

I have one word .... WOW

• newbiehavinfun
    14 years ago

Stunning color! I wish dogwoods grew like that around here--we've been hit with a dogwood blight and they just look pitiful, poor things. I must say, when I saw the porcelain vine I just about had an attack. That stuff is superinvasive here and so difficult to get rid of. Be careful that it doesn't take over!

Original Author
    14 years ago

newbie, I've had the porcelain vine for about 12-15 years it behaves itself quite nicely where I have it planted. My neighbor lets it cover the roof of his carport in the summer which in turn keeps his carport cool.
    We thought we had lost it from the very cold winter we had, it took forever to come back. I prune it back severely every spring, no problems yet.

Annette

• mora
    14 years ago

Annette, you have some impressive vines going on! Beautiful! Martha

• fl_gypsy
    14 years ago

Oh, all you people who live where the seasons change are making me sooooo jealous. I can't get over how beautiful that pink dogwood is.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! - Now send those rains down here to CA, we need 'em badly, LOL.

• memo3
    14 years ago

Lovely!

MeMo

Sponsored