Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Dueling fall color photos

gldno1
14 years ago

Here are some of mine. Thing are much brighter and more intense this year.

{{gwi:630807}}

{{gwi:630808}}

I post this one just to show my two pitiful little Burgundy Glows....course they are just a year or so old, but notice the color. They are in full sun too. I think I am really going to like 'Grace' smoke tree.

{{gwi:630809}}

Comments (11)

• natal
    14 years ago

Glenda, gorgeous colors!

Saw your post on the CF. How did the baguettes turn out?

• token28001
    14 years ago

The smoke trees are supposed to have beautiful fall color. You might have to wait a couple more years to get lots of it. I love dogwoods in spring and fall.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They were a total flop. I don't know what I did wrong...maybe the type of flour. I will not try again. I really want to concentrate on a healthy, whole grain type bread. I also have a recipe for 'french bread' that we really like. DH doesn't like hard, chewy crusts anyway. Don't know why I tried this one.

Glenda

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Oh, so pretty!!! The Golden Vicary looks like it's going to take on a plum color? Does it turn more and more towards plum as it gets colder? It looks very interesting with the multi-color foliage.

• natal
    14 years ago

Teresa_nc or Annie1992 may have some healthier recipes to share. My dh loves bread, but that usually means French or Italian. I bake occasionally, but find it's just as easy to pick up a boule at Whole Foods or keep a bag of frozen La Brea demi baquettes in the freezer.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Glenda, so gorgeous, love the way the colors play off each other in the first pic. I planted a small barberry last year, can hardly wait until it puts on some growth so it can be a show off too, it's still so small I have to watch it doesn't get stepped on it.

Annette

• thinman
    14 years ago

Great bright colors, Glenda. I didn't realize that dogwoods could be so pretty in the fall, and I wonder if they will survive up here. They are beautiful. The burning bushes do well here, but rabbits usually get them. I'm glad I get to see yours.

ThinMan

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

natal, I began the bread making after DH has his heart attack and we took the requisite course on nutrition. I couldn't find a good tasting whole wheat bread so I began.

I must say I love doing it. I am currently re-reading Tricia's Bread Making Course 101 on CF. I think I will order a good bread making book soon.

Thinman, usually my dogwoods are a more dark burgundy. I think this year's unusual weather is responsible for the brighter colors.

The vicaryi will get a very dark burgundy as the season goes on. I will try to remember to take a picture of it.

I have been watching fall color in the woods on the farm and around our area. Most colors are deep yellows and browns. We don't have that glorious red of the sugar maples that the East coast has. My neighbor does have two in her front yard, but they haven't changed yet.

I love this time of year.

Glenda

• natal
    14 years ago

Glenda, I was happy to see Tricia's info shared on the FAQ page. It's more technical knowledge than my brain can absorb, but it's nice that's it available. Btw, Tricia's been through a bit of a hard time the past few months. Imagine she'd love to hear you're reading her 101!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tricia

• natal
    14 years ago

Glenda, don't know if you're familiar with the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, but the authors have a new book that came out today titled Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The basic recipe is in the link below.

When I originally tried the bread (from the first book) I used the full amount of yeast and thought it was too yeasty tasting. I plan on trying it again next week reducing the yeast by half. I'm hoping for a better flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

Wow! Had to put on my sunglasses ;-) Really beautiful.

Edna

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz