Summer 2009:

{{gwi:630860}}

{{gwi:630863}}

{{gwi:630864}}

{{gwi:630867}}

Comments (9)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

That is just beautiful shropshire lad! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your waterfall! Does it spill into a swimming pool? I like the way you have it surrounded by plants, it really softens the hard features of the rocks. Do you happen to know the name of the pink double hollyhock? Such a nice color combo. You know, I think I like seeing pics most in the fall/winter, they are such a welcome treat! Thank you for sharing these, they certainly brightened my day.
    CMK

• shropshire_lad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, CMK! Yes, the waterfall spills into a pool! The stone really complements the plants and vice versa. I hate the way most people landscape their pool waterfalls. They just pour small stone around the sides and stick a few small, generic plants in there. Boring! At the end of summer when the plants are really leggy, they start to lean over the stone and some leaves and flower actually go into the water and it looks beautiful! Oh, and that pink double hollyhock is even better than it looks in that pic! It is not a true double, but rather semi-double with wavy petals. I don't know the name of it because it grew from a seed mix that a bought on eBay. Two grew from 12 seeds that germinated (I didn't have anywhere to plant the other 10 so they died). The second hollyhock didn't come out looking like the semi-double one, but is still a pretty pink. If you want, I can give you the name of the seller and you can order her seed and maybe one like this might pop up in the bunch for you! If not, I can collect seed from this one if it comes back next year (I didn't save any seed this year).

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Thanks for a bright spot in my day. It has been cloudy and raining off and on for two days....nothing so pretty here now.

I am sure glad we have some younger eyes on the forum. Thank you CMK for pointing out the waterfall! I had totally missed it. It looks very natural and lovely.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Very pretty!

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Your color combos are beautiful.

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Such delicate hibiscus flowers, pretty in pink. You've got some great combinations in your garden. There are really a lot of different plants in that small space by the pool.

• MollyDog
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures...and fantastic combinations.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Thanks shropshire lad for the seed offer. If your plant comes back next year and sets seed you can keep me in mind. I will have lots more on my seed trade list by then and maybe you will see something you like so we can do a trade.

I have seen only a few people that plant things next to their swimming pool. I think it is so wonderful when they do, it would be like swimming in a flower bed! I just love being surrounded by plants. So lovely...
    CMK

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

That picture made my rainy weekend. thank you.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services