Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

San Antonio River pic

plantmaven
14 years ago

I was searching for some history item and found this picture.

This is the Arneson River Theater, built about 1930.

I thought you might enjoy seeing my home town.

{{gwi:630997}}

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I love seeing pictures of different places, especially when it helps us place people we know in their surroundings.

How clean the river looks!

glenda

• frogview00
    14 years ago

I would love to see more......

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

"I would love to see more" me too. I love seeing pictures of the areas where my cottage friends live. Being I will never get to meet you all in person, it's the next best thing.
    Love the picture Kathy, very spanish looking. The building on the left, those small open bits in the wall of the upper story, tell me what that is?

Annette

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here you go. It is very spanish. The spanish missions were the first to settle the area.
    In the year 1718 the presidio of San Antonio de Béjar was established on the San Antonio river. During that same year, the mission of San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) was moved from the Rio Grande to the vicinity of the presidio. What is know as the Alamo, today, is the original chapel of the mission San Antonio de Valero.

{{gwi:631001}}

King William District History
    The location of the King William neighborhood was once crop land irrigated by the San Antonio River and farmed by the residents of the Alamo. After the Alamo and other Spanish Missions were secularized, the land was no longer needed as farmland and was divided among the residents of the Alamo or sold. In the mid 1800's the area was divided into the streets presently there and became a central settling point for German immigrants. One of the first settlers in this district was Carl Guenther who started the Pioneer Flour Mill which is one of San Antonio's oldest continually operating businesses. The restaurant at Pioneer Flour Mills, the Guenther House is named for him. The true value of the King William area's historical significance is solidified by law...San Antonio's King William district was the first neighborhood to be designated by the Texas Legislature as an historical neighborhood.
    My great grandmother's sister lived in this area, but know one alive to day knows which house, as they had no children.
    {{gwi:631005}}

{{gwi:631009}}

{{gwi:631012}}

{{gwi:631014}}
    {{gwi:631016}}

More of the river walk. It is magical at Christmas.

{{gwi:631018}}

{{gwi:631020}}

{{gwi:631022}}
    {{gwi:631024}}

{{gwi:631026}}

City skyline. Looking at this picture, it is hard to visualize that San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the U.S.

{{gwi:631028}}

I live about 6 miles to the left of this pic.

{{gwi:631030}}

Boots at a mall. They were built in about 1975.
    {{gwi:631032}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tour Kathy, loved it. Spectacular old homes and oh my, those verandas be still my heart :o) and... all those lights at night along the water, lucky you to live in a place with so much history.

Annette

• frogview00
    14 years ago

Great photos. It seems so European. A new place I would love to visit.
    The houses and the 'painted lady' victorian was fabulous!

• mora
    14 years ago

Dust off the spare room Kathy, I'm moving in!Love it all!, Martha

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am glad y'all enjoyed the pics. This is the best time of year, weather wise.

Annette, in the old south verandas were called gallerys. They are wonderful in our hot summers.

Frog, if you ever want to visit, I will be glad to play tour guide for you.

Mora, I would have to take a machete to the spare/guest room. But I have to do that this week as I have two different sets of guests due soon.
    I have been bad about storing things in there.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus