Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahli22

More Juneau garden photos later in the season

dahli22
14 years ago

Thanks gldn01..will try posting directly in this window.
{{gwi:631085}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in Juneau, Alaska (2009)

I see there are some Limelight fans in this forum...ours finally bloomed this year and they were worth the wait! This photo was taken Sept. 1
{{gwi:631088}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in Juneau, Alaska (2009)

Lilies!
{{gwi:631091}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in Juneau, Alaska (2009)

Dahlias still going strong in mid September.
{{gwi:631095}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in Juneau, Alaska (2009)

More dahlias with Limelight.
{{gwi:631098}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in Juneau, Alaska (2009)

Dahlia Rip City with Limelight hydrangea. Rip City took seven months to bloom from the time I planted it in March.
{{gwi:631103}}From Kathy and Brad's garden in Juneau, Alaska (2009)

This is either Double Trouble or Bumble Rumble dahlia.

Comments (12)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

You do a LOT of work if you have to lift all those dahlias every year! WOW.
    One thing we noticed when we were in Alaska two years ago was how many folks had greenhouses. It was great. And the gardens - everyone had some garden of some kind. Really lovely. Yours is just stunning! We didn't see anything quite like yours when we were in Juneau!

• dahli22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

girlgroupgirl: if you come through Juneau again, we're on north douglas highway....and it's visible from the road. I think the explosion of greenhouses may have something to do with Costco -- they had some good deals on them a couple of years ago. thanks for the comments!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I was on a cruise ship so we were mainly downtown, although went along some side roads in the town area to stop and snoop at gardens. A boy on a bicycle told us there were nicer ones up ahead, but mom was afraid to walk that far and not get back in time. They didn't give us near enough time to snoop in Juneau!!

• fl_gypsy
    14 years ago

OK, now I am a blinding green color. Wow, I've heard that things really grow big and beautiful in Alaska due to the short growing time but your garden is past beautiful.

• dahli22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you fl_gypsy!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

WOWZER! So beautiful! That limelight hydrangea is amazing, I especially in that one picture paired with the purple dahlia; what a great color combo.

The rest of your garden is so colorful too! And your lawn is so lush and green. Love the view from your yard. Must be so relaxing to sit amongst your beautiful flowers and look out over the water...
    CMK

• echoes_or
    14 years ago

Oh how beautiful. What gardening zone are you?I planted a limelight this year so have high hopes for it next summer. My nursery friend gave it to me because she wasn't sure what to do with it, a salesperson had dropped it off to her. She hadn't had time to do any research so it was potted up and sat on her porch all summer. Kinda looked rough when she gave it to me.... Would love for mine to look like yours... Planted it in a part bright shady area but hopes it does good there...

Please show more pictures.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting. Your photos are beautiful.
    It has been 27 years since I visited my sister in Eagle River. She was gracious and drove me to lots of towns/villages (in their motorhome).
    The plants I remember most were fuchsias. I had never seen fuchsia. We can't grow them in central TX and I was fascinated by them.

Kathy

• dahli22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the comments cmk!

Echoes: i've tried other hydrangeos but limelight is the first one to thrive. it grows about 18 inches a year! we trim it back a bit though and lop off the spent flowers. I think it helps to grow things in raised bed too (especially here where the soil is horrible. basically clay).

thanks plantmaven! i've never been to eagle river, but i know they have some amazing gardens in that area, especially anchorage and the mat-su valley. one of them was featured in Country Gardens magazine and it blew me away. i hang fuchsia baskets in spring..will post photos in may.

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

Gorgeous.

Mental Note: Now I want a Limelight.

Edna

• memo3
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love the Lime Light planted with the dahlias and astilbe.

Note to Echoes: In zone three plant your limelight in full sun. I have one planted in morning shade and late afternoon sun and it has not bloomed in the 4-5 years I've had it. Those planted this past spring, in full sun, both bloomed this past fall.

MeMo

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Just had to return and look at your garden again on this cold rainy day.

Sigh. What a garden, and what a view!

Renee

Sponsored