Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

I really was up there to clean the gutters.

token28001
14 years ago

{{gwi:631199}}

Sorry for the large picture, but I really did want you to see it. I can see now what I need to work on next year. I've got a lot of growing to do. :)

Comments (13)

• natal
    14 years ago

Great view, lol! What are the wood-framed boxes and tee pee frames? Is that part of your kitchen garden?

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The wood boxes are new raised beds I built this fall. They'll hold my veggies next year. The tripods are just pieces of metal left over from a friend's garage remodel. I've scattered seeds of morning glory and cardinal climber around the base for next year. They sit in the middle of my new meadow garden.

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

That's a great photo - wonderful perspective. The view of my garden when I stand on the garage roof is pretty neat,too; but I'm too scared to climb up there again. Maybe I can bribe a neighbor.

Now you need to take a photo when everything is growing and blooming.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The gutters have to be cleaned spring and fall. The oak tree in the front yard has the catkins every spring. They fall by the millions into the gutters and clog everything. I'll see if I can remember to get a spring photo.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Tom, GREAT pic and what a luscious backdrop you have framing your garden, love to see another pic of your garden in all it's glory next spring summer too from the same angle.

Annette

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful overall view. I love it. You have space and I'm sure it won't take you long to fill it up at all. Love your fall colors.

Next spring/summer you'll have to get up in the same location for a view of your flower bursting gardens.

FlowerLady

• blueberryhills
    14 years ago

That's a great picture and gives a really nice perspective!
    My knees tremble just thinking about being up that high! LOL! makes me glad we don't have gutters.

Did you use treated lumber for your raised beds?
    I've been wanting to move our vegetable garden - but the area is sloped - and everything just washes away when it rains. Raised beds seem to be the best solution.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Great picture!

There is not enough money to pay me to get on the roof.

k

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, it's pressure treated landscape timbers from Lowe's. In case you're curious... Treated landscape timbers.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

blueberry, here's a ground level shot of the back yard taken that morning. You can see the largest of the raised beds. It's on a slope too. I tried just mulching well this summer, but it didn't work out too well. Between the largest bed and the two side by side, there's a drop of about 6' in elevation. Almost 30' from one side of the property to the other, although 1/3 of that is "gully".

{{gwi:631201}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Another great picture Tom, love that fall color.

BBH, raised beds work really well in sloped areas, my tomato bed is cut into a bit of a slope. The front of the bed is almost waist high, no bending. The back side is ground level. It also has a fiberglas roof to keep the rain off the tomatoes to prevent late blight. The roof being about 8 foot up I string netting on the back side and grow pole beans on it, has worked really well for me.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

That is steeeeeeep! I certainly wouldn't have been able to get up to that height!

Beautiful pic Tom, it is so clear and vibrant. Love the way you arranged the raised beds. The wooded areas are beautiful! Is this around the area that huge oak fell?
    CMK

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's not as steep as it looks. I do the crab walk to get to the pitch though. Then I throw one leg over, then the other. I hate heights, but the gutters have to be cleaned twice a year or else the basement floods.

The huge oak is in the backyard. We've cut some of it for firewood, but the trunk is still there. It's about 4' in diameter at the base. Still sitting on the edge of the stump, it's way above my head right at the base. Here's a picture of the one that fell last winter during a snow storm. It's on the left, the twisted one. All that canopy is now blue sky for the backyard.

{{gwi:631202}}

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert