Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite garden photos/Lavender_Lass

Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 23:07

Per LL's request, here's lots of photos! Only some are new to GW, though. These are taken in different years, but for a few of the beds, I've shown what they look like at different times of the year.

Because this is coastal Northern CA, tropicals have to be well protected, but many plants that are annual or deciduous elsewhere, are evergreen here. Enjoy!

Front yard in April:
Photobucket

Front yard in July:
Photobucket

Front yard in November:
Photobucket

Standing at front door steps, looking out at the front yard:
Photobucket

Sunny south side, March:
Photobucket

Same, in July:
Photobucket

Our back yard from my neighbor's back door - must be early December, the grill is covered and the maple is losing its leaves:
Photobucket

Shady north side:
Photobucket

And now...flowers! Lots and lots of 'em. First, purple Tibuouchina urvilleana and my variegated sweetgum in its fall foliage, so this must be around mid- to late November:
Photobucket

The striking variegated rhamnus leaves and tiny flowers, over an orange clivia:
Photobucket

A surprisingly good combo of Strobilanthes and "Mrs. Pollack" variegated pelargonium, but it didn't last. Strobilanthes hates our cold wet winters:
Photobucket

Tibouchina heteromalla has much more beautiful leaves than T. urvilleana, but the flowers are smaller and only show up once a year. But as a foliage plant, it's exquisite:
Photobucket

My "Joseph's Coat" climber RARELY does this - four colors on a single spray of blooms. It's happened only three times in the ten years I've owned it:
Photobucket

Bright red sage and vivid orange CA poppies:
Photobucket

A silver maple on top, a sun/moon plaque on an old shed wall, and a white calla to accent both:
Photobucket

Pink cestrum is beloved of hummers, but also black scale. It's managed to survive some bad attacks, and it's a flower powerhouse. It has been in bloom, on average, 50 weeks a year in the eleven years since it was planted:
Photobucket

I love foliage - this is a "Zulu Wonder" plectranthus fighting with "Copper Sunset" oxalis siliquosa:
Photobucket

Osteospermums reseed wildly when happy, and hybridize with abandon. White, pink, and purple merged into softly shaded pastels on this plant:
Photobucket

We have three Meyer lemon trees (actually, it's a bush that is usually grafted on dwarf rootstock). The scent of the tiny flowers is amazing:
Photobucket

I don't often put art in my beds, but I'm fond of Celtic crosses:
Photobucket

This beautiful combo didn't last - "Johnson's Blue" geranium and chartreuse feverfew. Deciduous plants have a hard time competing against all the evergreen plants I have:
Photobucket

You have to look fast to see the flowers of a "Sango Kaku" Japanese maple:
Photobucket

A friend gave me this unnamed Japanese maple, which has lovely emerging leaves in the spring, like little fans:
Photobucket

Our cold weather comes and goes; it can be 55 one day and 75 two days later. I timed this just right - the unknown Japanese maple is showing four brilliant leaf colors all at once:
Photobucket

More mixed foliage - there's variegated dianella, evergreen bearded iris, chartreuse plectranthus, scarlet iresine, and dark green hellebore:
Photobucket

I love this dark purple bearded iris with its evergreen foliage. Here it contrasts with "Copper Sunset" oxalis siliquosa and "Gold Dust" variegated aucuba:
Photobucket

I also have a deciduous bearded iris with light blue flowers and a perfume like Juicyfruit gum. The stalks are very tall and striking, with the flowers of a pink heuchera falling over it, and a chartreuse Lavatera olba shrub behind it:
Photobucket

Here's another clump of that deciduous iris, this time in bloom:
Photobucket

Cytisus (Scotch Broom) is a pest in CA, but this is surrounded by concrete. An "Atropurpurea" New Zealand flax (phormium) makes a contrasting backdrop:
Photobucket

It's hard to take a bad photo of a rose, but this "Gingersnap" is in the perfect spot. The sun backlights it almost all day long and the flowers simply glow. Even as they fade, the backlighting still makes it look beautiful:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite garden photos/Lavender_Lass

Wow!

Wonderful combinations of color, size and texture.
I like the way the sunlight plays in the garden. Every season has its uniqueness.

I miss the ocean and the mountains.

o

When I bought this house, I had visions of doing my garden like your's. Turns out it faces north and I have too much shade. But I can't have shade loving plants, as the west sun fries everything in the late afternoon in the summer.
This year I want to plant things along that side of the yard. I may have the ash juniper tree cut down. One of my neighbor's did that and it looks better. In my opinion they are good only if they are the only tree one has. Also big water "hogs".

o

Hello! I'm new to the garden web...Well actually I was a lurker for 5 years. I couldnt resist lavender lass's request. The garden is 3 years old and not finished yet.

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 8:59

So inspiring, Jkom51. I have seen pictures of your gardens before but I never tire of looking at them. So many wonderful shades, colors and textures and all winding together for perfect affect. I don't have a garden at the moment due to moving and much remodeling currently going on. I'm so glad you've shared your beautiful pictures to give me a taste of what is hopefully to come. Have a great spring/summer!

MeMo

o

Jkom51, you have absolutely created heaven on earth. Please don't stop posting pictures.
Pat (so envious in SE Michigan)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here