Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koszta_kid

How is your weather?

koszta_kid
12 years ago

Yesterday hit record high. I worked in flower bed. Where last year at same time had snow drift 5 -10 feet high. So far we had had 1 inch. Got rain last week. But guys out playing golf. And I washed Jeep. Wouldn't have done that last year.

Comments (35)

• valree3
    12 years ago

No. Nevada is bone dry. We should have a couple of feet of snow and temps. down to -30 by now. Not missing the really cold weather but we need moisture! Hope this doesn't mean that we may get winter in June, July and Aug!

• teakettle2
    12 years ago

Here in the San Joaquin Valley in California we have not had any rain. No rain for the entire month of December. Weather is 60+ everyday. I have to water- never had to do that in winter before.
    Last year we had record amounts of rain. We need rain badly.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

No snow here either and the 5-day forecast calls for upper 40's. The mild, sunny conditions are welcome after last year's multiple weather-related disasters here in the northeast.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

It has been very mild here too, but am glad it has been raining hard, then sun, then downpour again...the rivers have healthy brimming sides. It sure makes me wonder what the spring/summer/fall will look like!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

It's expected to get to 70 in Dallas today, but colder weather coming...I've been working on cleanup in the yard for a couple of days now, am eagerly awaiting spring!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh boy! Never thought the talk about weather could be so interesting. But, never had such weird weather here in the frozen north! It was +6C here yesterday and that is 20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year. The whole year has been like this. Pretty much no snow or rain to speak of and that has been since about August!!! So sad. Many businesses are not going to make it around here. We are a snow province as much as a farming one. I, for one, don't like it and am feeling a bit concerned about what we are up for in the spring and summer. The last couple of years have been really "off". Hmmmmm..... Not a doomsdayer but it sure makes a person think.

Ginny

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I'm live close to Calamity, after last year, the mild (so far) winter we're experiencing right now is much appreciated. I believe on a couple of days we've even broke the record high for this time of year. What worries me is if/when the temps do drop I'm going to lose a lot of things :(.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Strange here too. On the news they said we have had 14 inches less than normal of snow. Plus it has been incredibly warm here, in the 40's! Not that I mind having so little snow. The ski resorts around here probably mind though, lol!
    CMK

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    12 years ago

Utah had the driest December on record.

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been watering some of my plants. So when it does get cold will not kill them. But had rain right before Christmas. Not only ground but rivers also. Said would have big Fish Kill. And had such a wet spring. Was lot of fear of repeat of 08 flooding.Friend in Minn. 8 inches of snow so far. Last year 88 inches

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

No snow, but that is not too unusual here in early January. However, I have doors and windows open today. It is in the 60s. Very odd, but enjoyable.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

It's weird here too in Pittsburgh! We have had a couple lucious days in the 50s, which gave me time to check out the plants and try to visualize some expansions for spring. I also was able to spend some time on my garden swing. Ahhhh! It was like heaven . I'm sure winter will be back tho.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Sixty degrees, clear blue sky & gentle breeze here at the moment. I have windows open. Weird but very nice. I've been outside most of the day, swept the garage floor, filled the seed & suet feeders, raked leaves out of one flowerbed--figured I might as well get a jump on a few spring chores. I leave most of them where they fall as winter mulch but tidied up around a shrub or two. I'm sure the cold will return but it's nice to get out in the fresh air all the same.

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weather Dude said it is to get colder Sunday. But 20 degree warmer then normal. But rain helped before Christmas helped Soil from blowing in high winds we had. Helps on heating bills. And state Snow removal bill.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

We were in the upper 50's a few days ago, and close to it again today. The rest of the week is supposed to be well above normal as well. No snow. Last year we had several feet of snow on the ground. I have a pile of leaves waiting to put around the rose bushes for protection but it has been so warm that I have not put them around yet. Normally in January we get down to -20's so this is very unusual. Worry that spring and summer are going to be really different....

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

Incredibly mild (over 10*C) and dry, dry, dry here in southern Manitoba. I think we must be on the verge of a deep drought. Driving past some ditches and farmer's fields yesterday, we saw lots of emerging green! The temperature is supposed to drop today closer to normal values but little snow in the sight.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

I took the afternoon off and spread that huge pile of leaves I mentioned earlier. All roses are now tucked in for the winter. Really sounds weird saying that in mid-January! Many years we have spring in March, wonder what this year will bring?

We are supposed to get 5-7 inches of snow over the next 24 hours and temps dropping to single digits. Also winds up to 35 mph. Guess it is January after all!

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad I worked in flower beds Tuesday. Put many loads in compost pile.Today 30 degrees colder. And up to 40 MPH winds. And just small amount of snow-but it is blowing . Waiting until get lighter to take dogs out. will dress warm.

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Talk about cold. And glad we have snow fence.Not that much snow 5 inches but drifts are chest high. And my plants got covered.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Just come in from a sunny but chilly afternoon at the allotment. We have finally had a couple of frosts at night but I still had to cut the grass paths. It just hasn't stopped growing. And it's supposed to get milder again next week - back up to 40 - 50F. One big difference I find reading about some of your weather is that we don't get the wide variation between day and night that some of you report. Only a few degrees difference. So the garden is not subjected to wild swings in conditions. Not a single snow flake here yet and none forecast.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Supposed to be 72 tomorrow in Dallas, but we do get some really neat days early in the year, usually followed by ice and snow. I plan to take advantage of any warm weather to continue cleanup, my yard sure needs it!

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

Record low and record high on the same day here in Sonoma Co! I think it was 28* and 68*.
    Yeah I know, I know, nothing compared to some of you in the snowy areas, but we're in the coastal foggy area that makes the cold get right into your bones!
    Went flying today and was bummed at how brown the hills look this time of year!
    Rain is expected for the next week! I'm hoping for a good downpour! Nancy

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Very weird weather all over; "skeery", isn't it, just don't know what to expect. We've had some rain in Texas but not nearly enough to make up for our drought...

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very cold last night. Glad Dh took snow blower and put snow on flower beds. But to lot more snow Friday. Nothing compared to years past. But got spoiled. And glad we have plenty of fire wood in basement. Next year putting up even more snow fences.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Well, we are havin' a heatwave! The last 5 days have produced record lows here with -35C with w/c at -49C and today we are at a balmy -22C w/c at -33C. I think I'm gonna slip into my sandals! Lol!

A week ago we were experiencing highs of +8C. Mother Nature must be going through "the change"!

Ginny

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

It has been a wonderfully mild winter. Just got the heating bill and it was HALF this year what it was last!

Normally Buffalo would have had 45 inches of snow by last week. They had 5!

I've never gotten so much done outside in winter before, but looking for some snow to go skiing etc.

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No church today. Just enough freezing rain.And our church on gravel road-old time country church.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

77 Degrees here today, we need some cold weather, and more, more, more rain! Not good...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Sunny and mild today, almost springlike and, it looks like the next few days are going to be the same, we've had lots of rain and more on the way or so they say, wish I could send some your way ogrose.
    So far it sure has been a different kind of winter here, we seem to be missing all the storms. Yesterday the south end of the island had a terrific wind storm, many without power and the Malahat was closed for 4? hours due to downed trees.

Annette

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Last Friday we got 7 inches of snow, then yesterday afternoon/early evening it was freezing rain and then late last night we got another 2 inches of snow on top of the sleet/rain. Took me over 2 hours tonight after work to clean it all up. Really a mess as the new snow was extremely difficult to move/heavy due to the weight of the sleet/rain at the bottom. Everything that wasn't cleaned up today is now frozen solid. What was cleaned up today is now a sheet of ice! I almost fell several times while shoveling/snow blowing. Yuck!

• scully931
    12 years ago

Oh, boy! 61 degrees here in Pittsburgh today! :-)

• echoes_or
    12 years ago

Hey Connie Lee. Until this month we had mild and mostly dry conditions. VERY unusual for us. Should have snow and lots of it... This month we have been having snow then rain. The ground is frozen so the rain isjust sitting on top of the ground... Today it's nice and sunny.

Have today I'm not unhappy it's sunny.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

All right, we got some rain, about 4"!! This will help, but they keep telling us we're still in drought. If we can just get some more, who knows, maybe we can make it out of this. :)

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gal sent me a church sign said Who Ever is Praying for snow Please Quit .Not sure where this was at.I got Yak-traks shoes. Going to wear where there is ice. Seen gal wearing Spike heels -trying to look sexy.Didn't look like that sprawled in Yuk in parking lot.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Way too warm. I worked in the garden for a few hours this afternoon and it was very pleasant. But felt downright creepy, knowing this is only January. If I wanted to have violas and hellebores blooming in January, I'd have moved to North Carolina, LOL!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm