Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndrose_gw

New to this board

wyndrose
10 years ago

Hello I am new to this board but am enjoying reading the posts and pics. I have only been working with flower beds a couple of years and just this month was told the names for what I have. This will be the first year I plan a bed. Everything I have now was given to me. I am trying to find a place to post pictures and pretty much just talk about my flowers. I live in South Carolina.
Thank for ur time.
Frances

Comments (9)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

Hi Frances ! I think you'll meet a lot of wonderful people here . I've visited South Carolina and thought it was just beautiful ! Please post pics and ask away ! You won't find a nicer group than here , I'm sure.
    Jen ( Tennessee )

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my canna lily. I posted on one of the other boards and they told me what it was.

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amaryllis. I have a few of these I have a few more flowers that I don't know the names for but don't have pics of them on this phone. My boys order me
    Gladiolus for Christmas this year I should get them in march. Just need to figure out where to put them
    Frances

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

How pretty ! Do amaryllis come back year after year for you?

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lilyfinch, yes they come up every year. This year I need to move them I think they are doubling I have 2 come up in some places last summer. I am thinking of putting the gladiolus across the front of the trailer since I don't know what color they will be and move all the others to a bed in the front yard.
    Frances

• louisianagal
    10 years ago

Hi wyndrose, I'm glad you came over to the cottage forum! There are large, tall gladioli and small ones. They are so pretty, but the problem I find with them is they fall over easily and need to be staked, and I don't find staking them to be too easy. So consider that when you place them. A good thing to do is to put them behind a small shrub or perennial which can act as a prop or hide the staking material that you will have to use. They don't look very good just lined in a row, so think about putting them in clumps or clusters and you can use jute string or peony rings made of metal to hold the clumps up.

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi gal I have 4 or 5 that I tied to the lattis around the trailer I just have to worry about the rain coming off the roof. I was going to put in a row this year so after they bloom I can mark the bulbs by color and move them next year. The boys order a mix that Michigan bulbs had on sale. It was 50 glads and 10 gladiolus . I may put them in clumps if I can figure out a way to know which bulb is which. Thanks for the idea. I rent and I have to watch where I put things so if I move I have to pull everything up.

• sann777
    10 years ago

Hi, I live in Zone 7. I have planted a lot of plants over the years (I am 67) but I have been planting daylilies the last few years. Daylilies don't have many diseases and grow really well in this area. There is a Daylily forum you can go to. Also there are some beautiful Daylily Gardens you can visit in May, June, and July to admire and buy them. Checkout the site called Lily Auction. I have bought a few from these growers and have been pleasantly surprised. After a few years Daylilies can be divided. I have over 250 different ones. I keep their names, etc. in a spreadsheet and I put tags with each to show which ones I have. Keep their names - you will be glad you did. Have fun.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Welcome to Cottage wyndrose, you'll meet lots of avid gardeners here. I'm one of the older members if not the oldest (76). I've been gardening all my life it seems, well at least since I was knee high to a grasshopper :). For all you Glad growers, a tip I picked up from a man who literally grew hundreds of them each year, plant them deep (6") and you won't have to stake them. This man won a lot of blue ribbons with his glads a lot of which he hybridized himself.

Annette

Sponsored