Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant to look for in 2011

Posted by mosswitch 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 9, 11 at 8:29

The plant I'm looking for in spring is melinus, Ruby grass, or red Savannah grass. I saw this at a demonstration garden at a nursery last fall, too late in the season to plant, and they were out of them anyway. But it is on the top of my list this spring! It's an annual but a must have for me!.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Grass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant to look for in 2011

SO pretty! I don't have any grasses at this point, so if I can figure out a way to work it in, I will definitely try this one! Thanks!

o

That is pretty - I wonder if it would survive here...20F would be about -10C - probably not!! Oh well, pretty to look at.

Nancy.

o

It's an annual, just save seed and replant in the spring. Like petunias and marigolds.

o

Now you have made me want it. Just like a kid wanting every new toy.

o

More roses!

o

In the picture it looks pink more than red. You saw it in person. What color would you call it? I love it.

o

It was definitely pink when I saw it, late in the season. I love it too!

Sandy

o

Wow, that really is a very pretty grass. Hope I can find it up my way.

Annette

o

I agree, it's very pretty. Would make a great accent plant scattered about the garden, I'll have to check for it this Spring also.

o

I have to agree, its soooo pretty. Is that an online site the picture is from? It kinda looks like Annies Annuals so I will go check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if it comes in purple?? Thanks again, Judy

o

Yes, it is Annie's Annuals, wonderful site for west coast gardens and a really great nursery if you are near Richmond, Ca. She does have lots of plants that will grow in the rest of the US too. And a great print catalog too!

You can get the seeds or plants from a lot of sources, just google melinus, Ruby Grass or Savannah grass.

o

I have seeds of ruby grass for trade or SASE. Email me if interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here