Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting my flower seeds

Posted by wyndrose 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 8:54

Morning all
It is close to February and I an getting ready to start my flower seeds I am planning on starting them in small pastic cups then covering them with cling wrap and misting them once a week. Does anyone else start their seeds in side and if so how do u start them?
Frances

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting my flower seeds

I would love to but lack the space and enough sunlight. What seeds have you chosen?

o

I've started flowers and veggies. The hardier cole crops, lettuce, and perennial seeds are wintersown outside on the picnic table. I've got a whole table full of seeds sown in plastic cups and containers with plastic lids in the basement under grow lights and a homemade heat mat.

o

Hi
Right now I have sweet William, four o clocks and morning glory. Will be getting more just not sure what else yet.
Frances

o

I ordered some annual seeds last week and am excited to get some of them going when they arrive. Several kinds of Petunias & Geraniums, Lobelia, Impatiens, Rudbekia, Pansies and Asters. THere aren't many things that I start this early, since I can't plant out until mid May. But I am planning on starting Geraniums and Pansies in February.

I have shelves in my workroom with fluorescent lights for getting seedlings going. I start everything in 3oz plastic cups and then pot them up to 9oz cups when needed. Last year I started close to 1000 vegetable and annuls. (I gave a lot of them away)

o

I'm getting ready to plant few things. bee balm,kiss me over garden gate and lupines. Maybe Shasta daisy . Making place cat can not play with peat pots.

o

I've always had trouble with cling wrap. The first time a single drop of water gets on it, it sticks to itself and becomes such a hassle to take on and off. I like painter's plastic myself. I just cut a piece so that it drapes over the whole shelf...easy on, easy off.

Really any container will work, so long as there is a drainage hole punched in the bottom. One thing I found about using the plastic cups tho, is they are easy to knock over since they are smaller on the bottom and wider at the top...especially once the plant starts growing and it becomes top-heavy. If you have them all nestled up against each other in a tray, that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here