Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

Spring is on the way!

flora_uk
14 years ago

Every year I watch a particular square in town which always has the first snowdrops. Today I walked past (lugging a new vacuum cleaner in my arms as mine has just died) and there they were! They always cheer me up.

Comments (13)

• scully931
    14 years ago

Oh, that IS good news!

(Of course, it was better when I thought you were in my zone, but I guess I'm getting a little ahead of things. haha.)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

The Hellebores are showing buds and my Winter Jasmine is in full bloom. I have several different varieties of Snowdrops in the bud stage, not quite open yet. What scares me is some of my Tulips are starting to show, it's too early for them. If we get our usual week or so of freezing weather in February it's going to do a number on them.

Annette

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I noticed some of my snow drops were up and blooming today as well. Of course, after two days with temps in the low 60's it also felt like spring.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Annette, if you can find snow anywhere, try to cover up your beds with that snow to help insulate it.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

You know Flora, I know that in my zone, I am dreaming in Technicolour, but you can hear spring-like noises from the birds!! OK, it's very mild right now, with much of the snow melting. We still have lots of snow, but it is melting. Icy, though. Oh well, 2 1/2 months to Spring!!

Nancy.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Congratulations on the first signs of spring! Nice to know it is happening somewhere in the world. We were shoveling snow today, but I have enough patience for awhile longer. Next month, I'll be chaffing at the bit. [g] Flora if you have a camera instead of a vacuum the next time, would love to see those snowdrops! :-)

pm2

14 years ago

Ianna, no snow here. Today was so mild people were walking around in their shirtsleeves. The tulips are in a raised planter so I'll cover them with burlap at night if needed.

Our winters are so unpredictable, so far we've only had one bit of snow a couple of months ago, it was gone by noon the next day. Last year we had snow, snow and more snow. These pictures were taken about the same time both last year and this.

The next two pictures were taken about midnight just before I knocked the snow off the dogwood the first time, sigh!!!
    {{gwi:632441}}

{{gwi:632442}}

It was raining when I took this pic of my winter jasmine a couple of days ago, you can see it covered in snow in the pic above.
    {{gwi:632444}}

Annette

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Annette, what a shame to get snow after your plants start blooming! So sorry! Your jasmine is quite a specimen. :-) I can just imagine the fragrance!

14 years ago

prairiemoon, unfortunately there's no fragrance on this one, winter jasmine can bloom anywhere from november to march around here. Last year the snow and freezing temperatures did the flowers in just as it was coming into full bloom. This year it looks like I actually get to enjoy it for awhile :o).

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Mother Nature must be having a hot flash- we are getting the same abnormally mild temps here too. A few days ago it was 51 degrees F! Hardy any snow this year (what a contrast to last winter!).

I went out yesterday and walked around the garden. Guess what I saw? Bluebells popping nearly half an inch out of the ground, an early rising hosta had a white tip showing, the hops vine showing a few reddish tendrils, AND one of my peonies is pushing up!!! The folks over on the perennial forum said it wasn't something to worry about (like that is going to stop me, lol!). I can't help but freak out, this is January in zone 5! We still can get some killer frosts and low temps yet. Yipes.
    CMK

• memo3
    14 years ago

I'm always so pleased when you warm zone gardeners start talking about seeing signs of spring. That means that us cold zone gardeners will be seeing fresh lovely pictures of your flowers very soon ;)

Spring doesn't normally begin here until the first of June, although last year was a total freak weather wise and Spring began in March. I held off planting until June just in case. I would love a replay! The Rancher saw a honey bee the other day when the temps climbed up to the 50's. I have poppies and Nepeta that remained green under all of the snow. Now that it's melting a bit I can see them. Not to last though, at least not yet, we have another ice/snow storm moving in and school has closed early today. Oh well, it will get here when it gets here. Everyone else...enjoy!

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last year I had a vacuum but no camera. This year I was walking my daughter back to the station after a visit and rememberd to take my camera with me. So here's a picture for you. It's amazing that the snowdrops are out almost to the day.

{{gwi:32670}}

• rockin_zappy
    13 years ago

That is a beautiful picture, and it has me anxious for spring! Things don't really start budding and blooming here until early March or later. I am determined to plant as many bulbs as I can this fall so that I WILL have tulips and daffs next spring! I hope my flowering dogwood actually starts blooming this year.

Sponsored