Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

Plants to cascade over stone wall?

lisa33
14 years ago

In the midst of an Arctic air blast, I am busying myself with thoughts of spring. One thing that is on my list for this season is to get some plants established that will cascade over the stone retaining walls in front of my house. Any suggestions for my zone?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Comments (25)

• lisa33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops..should have said that the area is in full sun. Flowers preferred, but not essential.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Lucky you with full sun. I need the same for shade!

Cynthia

• scully931
    14 years ago

Carpet roses and the low growing campaula are good choices for sun.

• ginny12
    14 years ago

Basket of gold is stunning in this situation. And if it's happy, it will self-seed in the nooks and crannies of the wall. There's a wall like that near me and it stops traffic. Latin is Aurinia saxatilis. Needs full sun and blooms in early spring.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I agree with GGG about the perennial Candytuft (Iberis), and ginny about the Aurinia. If you were to go to the Seattle area in spring you would see the typical rock walls just covered with those two plants, along with others of course.

I would also add Origanum rotundifolium 'Kent Beauty', an ornamental oregano. It has a lovely cone like heads that last a long time. Natural cascading habit.
    CMK

• echoes_or
    14 years ago

Star sedum, ajuga, thymes, lamium, Some short grasses, Alyssum...

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Not sure if you mean something that would be an annual or a perennial. Annuals such as lantana and Homestead Purple verbena (might be perennial for you) would work and lespedeza and cotoneaster would also work.

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

My favorite plant for draping over walls: Callirhoe involucrata. Also, a catmint such as 'Walker's Low' makes a nice drape if planted close to the edge.

• scottyboipdx
    14 years ago

I'd have to agree with both catmint and verbena...great for cascading over walls
    {{gwi:632716}}

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Nobody's mentioned Aubretia yet. It's a bit of a cliche but very jolly, hardy and likes sun. And for the Alyssum saxatile(Aurinia) I like the form 'Citrinum' best rather than the mustard yellow type. Would rock roses be hardy there? (Helianthemums) They love stoney ground and sunshine. And Saponaria ocymoides is a good one too.

• HerbLady49
    14 years ago

Here are 4 that have always held up nice for me along a hot dry wall.

{{gwi:632717}}
    Sedum lineare "Golden Teardrop". Pulls out easily to control spreading.

{{gwi:632719}}
    All the creeping thymes do well.

{{gwi:632721}}
    Campanula polcharskyana

{{gwi:632723}}
    Golden Oregano. It's also culinary. Gets little white flowers in July. Will get a darker green by late July.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Flora beat me to it I was going to suggest Helianthemums and Aubretia, also Dianthus, the old fashioned pinks like 'Mrs. Sinkins' have a lovely scent. I had both the white and the pink varieties years ago, I sure wish I could beg, borrow or buy a start of these today.

Herblady, simply gorgeous.

Annette

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

herblady49, I love the combination of that bright golden sedum and the flower with the little purple /blue spikes beside it to the left. What is that?
    tammy
    ps: by the way, I tried to go to the link of your blog, but it didnt work.

• ianna
    14 years ago

arenaria, thymes, lavenders,

• HerbLady49
    14 years ago

Tammyinwv, The purple spiked flower is Salvia superba "Blue Hill". It flowers all summer, and always keeps a nice habit. In late July I cut it back and it will send up another flush of flowers. I took a break from blogging for awhile, but hope to come back in the future.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

herblady49, can that salvia be grown from seed?
    Tammy

• HerbLady49
    14 years ago

tammy, It can only be grown from cuttings or division.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Thank you. I was hoping I could take the easy way out,lol
    Tammy

• york_rose
    9 years ago

"Lucky you with full sun. I need the same for shade!"

Cynthia (& apologies for risking "thread stealing"), you have choices. Have you considered the native shade-loving Phlox species (e.g. Phlox divaricata) or native cultivars of Tiarella?

• User
    9 years ago

Wow many fantastic and interesting suggestions and great pictures from scottyboipdx and herblady49,..just this year i added two low walls to the garden collected some old socks i had and filled them with soil then added Campanula then stuck them in between the rocks,..some are already blooming but by next year they should have thrived.

Philip

• User
    9 years ago

Moss was collected and stuck to the stones with Yogurt it holds it and will help it grow.

• User
    9 years ago

Growing over rocks at base of Spanish Bayonet.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Glen,as usual your gardens are terrific.We're in an extreme drought so my gardens aren't looking as good as i'd like them to,and my backyard is just about dead.Sure hope we get some rain soon!!

In that last picture is that campanula growing up that tree??
    Kathi

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Kathi,

Wish i could send you some of our rain,..its 30C-80F here just now,..lovely and sunny but of course its going to rain shortly.

Yes that's Campanula growing up along the tree,..grows up chicken wire also.

Philip

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County