Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds packets on shelves

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:40

Saw in the paper this morning that a local big box store has flower and veggies seed racks on display. It was 10 degrees here this morning, hard to think that Spring is only a month or so away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds packets on shelves

Ha, Ha...I bet!

I bought some packets of veggie and tomato seeds early this month and three bags of starter soil. Haven't gotten around to sowing any of them yet though. Today, I bought two more packets of veggie seed, as well as two packages of blue Fleur de Lis.

o

I went to a seed swap this weekend. I was able to give away 23 vials of flower seeds and picked up a few veggie seeds that I needed. I even bought some parsnips at the farmer's market table. It's been below zero for about a week now, though temps in the 50's predicted for later this week. Bring it on!

Skibby

o

Gets the juices flowing doesn't it :).

Annette

o

Yep, even in WI the seeds are out everywhere, and a lot of the on-line sources have been having sales all month.

I started some about a week and a half ago. It is the earliest that I have ever started anything, but I am trying for Geraniums , Picotee Begonias and Lisianthus, all of which take a long time. I'm also trying some Onions and Asparagus from seed for the first time. Plus I have a couple of trays of basil/arugula/cilantro/lettuces, which I plan on harvesting right out of the trays.

Its the best way for me to deal with the winter blues.

o

I have no idea yet what flowers I want to sow in the beds this year. Probably do zinnias along the picket fence again, they did so well last year. Got off to a slow start but they finally performed beautifully. Might try "Love Lies Bleeding" around the mailbox, that should look nice with the wild chicory that comes up there every year. I had planted LLB in front of a fence last year and was disappointed it didn't reach the height it was suppose to. But then again, last summer was hot and dry.

o

I've tried to get Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate going in several locations here by a gate or along a fence, but have never been successful. Darn it! It is so pretty.
Pooh!

Growing Love Lies Bleeding together with Wild Chicory sounds lovely. I think Chicory is sadly an under rated flower for the Cottage Garden. The blue of her flowers is the most beautiful blue you could want! (And Chicory's "spring greens" are delicious - eat them like Romaine Lettuce).

o

Hi y'all! (practicing my new southern accent!) :)
Does anyone have a favorite zinnia seed type to reccomend ? I was planning on growing some in the front of our house but there are so many to choose from and I've never planted any. I've seen some great beds of them here and think they'd be perfect and cheerful.
I think I may do some sunflowers as well. Hurry up spring!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here