Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Seeds packets on shelves

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Saw in the paper this morning that a local big box store has flower and veggies seed racks on display. It was 10 degrees here this morning, hard to think that Spring is only a month or so away.

Comments (7)

• Annie
    11 years ago

Ha, Ha...I bet!

I bought some packets of veggie and tomato seeds early this month and three bags of starter soil. Haven't gotten around to sowing any of them yet though. Today, I bought two more packets of veggie seed, as well as two packages of blue Fleur de Lis.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    11 years ago

I went to a seed swap this weekend. I was able to give away 23 vials of flower seeds and picked up a few veggie seeds that I needed. I even bought some parsnips at the farmer's market table. It's been below zero for about a week now, though temps in the 50's predicted for later this week. Bring it on!

Skibby

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Gets the juices flowing doesn't it :).

Annette

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Yep, even in WI the seeds are out everywhere, and a lot of the on-line sources have been having sales all month.

I started some about a week and a half ago. It is the earliest that I have ever started anything, but I am trying for Geraniums , Picotee Begonias and Lisianthus, all of which take a long time. I'm also trying some Onions and Asparagus from seed for the first time. Plus I have a couple of trays of basil/arugula/cilantro/lettuces, which I plan on harvesting right out of the trays.

Its the best way for me to deal with the winter blues.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea yet what flowers I want to sow in the beds this year. Probably do zinnias along the picket fence again, they did so well last year. Got off to a slow start but they finally performed beautifully. Might try "Love Lies Bleeding" around the mailbox, that should look nice with the wild chicory that comes up there every year. I had planted LLB in front of a fence last year and was disappointed it didn't reach the height it was suppose to. But then again, last summer was hot and dry.

• Annie
    11 years ago

I've tried to get Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate going in several locations here by a gate or along a fence, but have never been successful. Darn it! It is so pretty.
    Pooh!

Growing Love Lies Bleeding together with Wild Chicory sounds lovely. I think Chicory is sadly an under rated flower for the Cottage Garden. The blue of her flowers is the most beautiful blue you could want! (And Chicory's "spring greens" are delicious - eat them like Romaine Lettuce).

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    11 years ago

Hi y'all! (practicing my new southern accent!) :)
    Does anyone have a favorite zinnia seed type to reccomend ? I was planning on growing some in the front of our house but there are so many to choose from and I've never planted any. I've seen some great beds of them here and think they'd be perfect and cheerful.
    I think I may do some sunflowers as well. Hurry up spring!!!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?