Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Back Black Eye Susan Vine

Posted by teakettle2 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 11:24

Happy New Year
I have a black eye Susan vine that has pretty much taken over my side fence. I want to prune it back some. The crazy thing is still blooming.

Right now it is growing out of its original one gallon black pot from Lowes. (I think, I havent seen the pot for over a year, all grown over) Should I repot it? Or should I trim it back and stick it in the ground (finally after two years?)

The vine is about 8 feet high and 15 feet long-about 12-18 inches wide. This is the 2nd winter it has survived, we had frost a couple of weeks ago-it just kept blooming.

I have neglected it for so long-I think any attention I give it now might shock it to death. Poor thing.

Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Back Black Eye Susan Vine

I wish I could get mine to come back. Was told it was an annual here. Maybe not this year-lot warmer then normal. And less then 1 inch of snow so far.

o
RE: Pruning Back Black Eye Susan Vine

Plant it in the ground, but not in the dead of winter. It may die when you replant because its pot bound. You can trim it back. I trim mine often, but I live in san francisco. It will come back from winter, if it well established. It won't be established after you transplant it. I think you can root a cutting in the house in water and then plant that in the spring in case it dies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here