Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about starting a rose

Posted by wyndrose 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 11:31

Hi
I would like to start a rose from a cut piece. My neighbor has a cream rose in her front yard and I am going to ask for a piece of it but I am not sure how to start it or when would be the best time. Can I get some ideas from you guys please?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about starting a rose

I guessed you are from TX or similar climate. Here you go. There is also more then likely you tube video demo's if you like to have visuals. The Garden Web has great Rose garden forums (3), haven't been on them in a while but they used to have a lot of great active members.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Rose Help

o

freezengirl
thank you and I am in South Carolina

o

I just came across another post of yours and saw that I had the incorrect state. :-) But pretty darn nice place to be from and great for roses too! The extension service for specific states is always a great place to get information about all kinds of topics. For gardening or garden related information they are a go to source for information specific to your state conditions. It is also free which as a garden junkie I really like...more money for gardening! Don't forget the public libraries also. I haunt mine during the winter when looking at online pictures just won't get me through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson University Extension

o

This works if it's not one of those drafted roses. Choose a semi-hardwood stem about 6-8 inches. (too green and the stem could dry out fast, too hardwood and it takes too long. Choose something in between) Remove the tip, leave only 2 leaves on. Use a rooting hormone, sphaghnum moss or gritty sand as the growing medium. Scrape off some of the woody outer bark, exposing the greener part. Do this just below where a node is. Stick this in the growing hormone and then stick in the growing medium. Place a clear and perforate plastic over the pot. water from below and keep the container moist. Place in a semi shaded spot.

My great aunt just used to do air grafting (air layering) to great success. That's a another way of propagating.and it works well because all you need to do is to scrape off the bark of a stem, add some of the rooting hormone, cover with sphagnum moss, wrap with perforated clear plastic, tie up both ends, then water. Then let the mother plant continue to nourish itself and the stem. In a few months, there should be roots showing and by then, you can cut the stem and plant it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here