Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcub_gw

Totally OT, but I just had to share : )

angelcub
17 years ago

My soapstone counters are installed! I am officially a STONER. lol! They were done by Tom Shadley of Shadley Soapstone. He is in the L.A. area and will soon have a showroom in Glendora, CA. He and his partner, Brian, did an incredible job - I am so pleased with the results. He installed Green Mountain "Original" which is one of the harder soapstones and doesn't scratch as easily as some. He is going to come back out in a month or two and do the counter in my laundry room/butler pantry, aka temporary kitchen for the last 5 months.

We still have a ways to go in this cottage kitchen but so far it's turning out just as I imagined it would. DH is building custom full inset cabinets (think of the kitchen in the movie "Something's Gotta Give"), a hutch which will have a SS counter and an island which will look more like a free standing piece of furniture. He works a full time job so this is taking some time to do but he is loving it, not to mention loving all the tools he got in the bargain - I know some of you guys can relate. ; ) It's almost a total DIY project, except the soapstone and a bit of plumbing we had done for the range.

I'll link you to some pics of our progress so far. And if you look in the kitchen misc. album you can see inspiration pics of the cottage kitchen I'm trying to achieve. I can hardly wait to wash summer vegies from the potager in the farm sink. I've been planning this kitchen for 2 years, 5 years in my head, so seeing it all coming together so well has me completely psyched!

Thanks for indulging me! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Diana, going to hug her soapstone : )

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone counters

Comments (32)

• georich5
    17 years ago

Di,
    That is beyond gorgeous. The veins in it are wonderful and what a difference it is once it's oiled. It's like a magical surprise. How do they/you/Mark oil it. Do you have to do maintenance on it to keep it it's beautiful color? It looks like you could set a hot pot down on it. The hutch and the island sound so cool, I love it when it looks like furniture. (learned about it too late this time around)
    Your dream kitchen is really coming together...what fun to work in a creation like that. Can hardly wait to see veggies filling the sink.

I'll bring the scones, georgeanne

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

That is gorgeous! I love the sink! I have the same faucet. The stove is awesome! My, how everything sparkles.

Ed-

• Steveningen
    17 years ago

Very, very nice! Brian and I are in the midst of selecting new counter material and are considering soapstone. What made you decide to go with it? We really like the look of granite (and our contractor really likes the look of cash).

Congratulations!

• angelcub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks you guys! I think it's even prettier this morning with the sunlight streaming in on it. I was initially leaning towards a black antiqued granite because I wasn't sure about the veining, then I went and saw Tom's slabs and that was it - fell in love instantly. As I said on the kitchen forum, it has so much depth. It's like looking back in time, and since it was formed during the Cambrian period I guess I am. : )

Georgeanne, soapstone develops a patina over time so it really doesn't have to be oiled. But it can take a long time to get to the natural darkened stage so most of us oil it, a couple of times a week for a month, then less often. Mineral oil or mineral oil with beeswax is used. It's perfectly food safe and yes, you can set anything on it. That's one reason I love it. Coming from tile I didn't want to be fussing with trivets or worrying about cracking. SS will ding and scratch so it's not for someone who likes a pristine surface. But the scratches disappear with the oiling and it can even be lightly sanded if the scratches get to be too much. It's the perfect surface for a vintage or cottage look, imho.

Edna, how do you like your Showhouse faucet? I was hesitant to buy one site unseen - it's so pricey and has to be special ordered - but several of the gals on the kitchen forum assured me it was a great faucet and worth every penny so I took the plunge. What finish did you get? Ours is polished nickel - just love it. The soap dispenser was separate and from Westbrass but matches perfectly.

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: showhouse waterhill faucet

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

Diana, that is looking great! Are the cabinet doors going to be white like the ones in the inspirational kitchen? My kitchen is also white with dark stone counters, except that in my case it is dark blue granite which looks like mother of pearl when the light shines on it. I never tire of that combination. Like you, I planned this kitchen to exhaustion and I'm really glad I did. Ours has an L shaped counter that faces a casual breakfast/dining area with a dresser with glass fronted top cabinets. We like this kitchen cum diner so much we pretty much live in it. Our formal dining room hardly gets used at all.

Now do tell - what are you going to use for window treatments, red gingham for the wing chair you say?, is there a meal space in the kitchen as well (can't quite figure out from the photos). All the inquiring minds want to know :-)

Eduarda

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Oh, Diana it's beautiful! I'm a big fan of the furniture look in the kitchen and in the bathroom, too.

The soapstone is gorgeous. I bet you were more than happy to see it delivered and installed. :-)

Both of you are doing a wonderful job. I know you are going to be so happy with the finished product. I can envision: fresh from your garden veggies being washed at the sink, flowers cut from your garden being arranged in vases, not to mention many wonderful meals being prepared in your cottage kitchen. It all looks so beautiful.

Marilyn

• angelcub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Whoops, Steven, we must have been posting at the same time. See my reasons above. : ) If you search on the kitchen forum you'll find lots of people in your area who have used granite and soapstone and they'll be more than happy to help you with resources. Soapstone runs about the same as the mid to high end granites - about $100 sq. ft. installed. If you just need small pieces you can try the DIY route. Look for vizslalover's posts - she and her DH are doing their own install and Tom is helping them via email. He'd help you, too, without hesitation. I can't say enough about this guy - he is the King of Soapstone, imho. : )

Good luck with your choice. I just about lost it over counter tops choices. lol! I thought I needed to look at everything. Silly me - I should know by now to follow my heart. : )

Ok, I'm going to go paint some cabinets. I'll check in later. Hope everyone is staying warm!

Diana

• debbieca
    17 years ago

Awesome! What goes on the floor? The island sounds awesome. Islands without sinks or stoves seem to me the way to go. So much space! Your granddaughter is going to love making cookies there.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Oh, boy! Lookit that! I love the stove too. I've been oogling stoves such as this one...today we had our new potential renovator come in to look at the project for quotes. Yesh. I think it's going to cost at least double what I was hoping.

I can't believe DH can make cabinets! How handy is that? Even the cabinet frames look great. I like the soapstone with it too!!

GGG

• angelcub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eduarda, yes, the cabs will be a soft white, De Jour from Valspar. I don't have a clue about the window treatments yet. My view out the new window is not very pleasant - block retaining wall - but my son has a friend with a backhoe who is going to take the wall down and move the hill of dirt behind it. Then I'll plant a shade garden (it's on the east side) with lots of hydrangeas and another sycamore tree. I am still looking for a chair. I wish that funky red one I have in the living room would fit but it's too wide. I may just recover the old green one that is there now. Of course, as soon as I do that I'll find the perfect chair. lol!

Thanks Marilyn! You have been such a dear to hang in there with me and give me your opinions and suggestions. Now how's that bathroom coming along. ; )

Thanks Debbie! The floor will be the hickory/pecan like we have in the rest of the downstairs. We are taking out the tile in the laundry room/ butler pantry and will have the wood in there, as well. We're not going to worry about water issues. We had a flood on our other wood floor and it dried up beautifully. I AM looking forward to baking with Anna. : )

Thanks, GGG! I am fortunate to have such a handy DH. Too bad he has to work a "real" job. lol He's so into this cabinet and furniture building now, I'll have to work hard to refocus his attention on the promised garden shed. What he really needs is a barn like Georgeanne's hubby. He's taken over the garage with all these wood working tools and I can't park in it any more! I hope your new renovator works out. And yes, it always costs more than you thought. But your place is going to be lovely when finished. Keep the faith - it will get done! : )

Thanks again for all the compliments. I'm just so happy to not be looking at plywood counters any more. Now to get the water running again. Soon!

BTW, despite the single digits temps for several nights, I have violas popping up everywhere, as usual. I think I'll just do a meadow of them out back and call it done. : )

Diana

• memo3
    17 years ago

It's just beautiful, Diana. I really love the stove! The counters are gorgeous and will serve you well for many years. How wonderful that you will have everything you've wanted in this kitchen. It will be a dream to work in. Congratulations!

MeMo

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Just wonderful!!!! I so wish I could run my hands over that soapstone!!!!

Congratulations on a job well done!!!!!!

Leasa

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago

Poor Gracie looks worn out! I hope you let her help in counter-polishing.

You've done a wonderful job and made beautiful choices.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Oh my! Just lovely.

• Nicki
    17 years ago

Hi Diana!

You've been keeping hubby busy! Your kitchen looks great! I'd love to overhaul ours. The cabinets and counters are a bit tired. I'm loving that dark soapstone. I will show Gene your progress. Hint, hint perhaps?

Holy cow I've got a lot of catching up to do with you people! :)

Hugs!
    Nicki

• mora
    17 years ago

Oh Diana, I've been so busy with our renos that I haven't responded to many posts. I wanted to take the time to look at all your photos enlarged before telling you what a brilliant job you are doing! Today was the day and I am so impressed, love your counters and oh that sink!!! Can't wait to see more, Martha

• sowngrow (8a)
    17 years ago

Very beautiful!

I'm dreaming of new countertops. One day-I have to wait until the kids stop spilling things like Gorilla glue and such.

Keep up the great work!

Robin

• armyyife
    17 years ago

I love soapstone countertops! I saw it was on a show on HGTV (you know the show all about homes and none about gardening) and fell in love with it. I was just telling my father about it just the other day about how I would love to have SS, he had never heard of it before.

That is really the one thing I would like to do in my kitchen is just put on new countertops. Maybe someday right now I want new carpet. Anyways your are beautiful!

• angelcub
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you ALL for the compliments!

Memo, I love my range, too. It is such a dream to cook on. I swear, I think I've cooked more in the last few months than I have in the last few years.

Leasa, I wish you were out here - I'd gladly let you run your hands over it. Heck, I'd let you sit on it, too. lol! It really feels wonderful!

Slub, Gracie would like you and Johnny to come out to CA. and spoil her a little more than she already is. She loves to ride around in the wheel barrow, so much so that I can't even get it out to use without her jumping in it. Crazy cat! : )

Thank you, Kathy! I hope you're feeling better these days!

Nicki, it is SOOO go to hear from you! Yep, I am keeping hubby busy. He's loving it all, loving his new tools and we both still have our sense of humor. Amazing, huh? Our motto is "It's only a kitchen." Keeps us sane and grounded. : )

Martha, I'm glad you got a chance to take a peek at the pics. I know how busy you've been. I bet you and J would like to sail off somewhere about now, after all your renovations. But your kitchen turned out so nice, too, I'm sure it's been worth all the hard work.

Thank you, Robin! Gorilla glue - oh my! I bought some of that about a year ago and lived to regret it. It found a home in the trash, asap! It's probably good stuff but I'll stick to Elmer's. lol!

momof2, just changing out counters can make a world of difference. Someone on the kitchen forum recently posted pics of her kitchen facelift. She put in new granite counters, a new backsplash, removed the wallpaper and painted. It made a dramatic difference. I hope you get your new counters soon!

Thanks again, everyone. We are now onto painting the T&G ceiling, hanging the few upper cabs we will have and installing the bead board backsplash. And I should have running water this weekend. Yay! I plan on making some Good Eats, as Alton Brown would say, for Super Bowl Sunday. Go Colts!!!

Diana

• jill_h
    16 years ago

Angelcub - I have just found this website and am interested in your pictures of your soapstone countertops but have not been able to access that link you provided. I clicked on your name and got your "mypage", but there are no pictures of the countertop. Can you provide another link??

Thanks

• angelcub
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jill, I don't have the kitchen album on my PB account any more, but if you email me (addy is on my page) I will send you some pics and any info you need. I get emailed a lot about my stone, as well as other aspects of my kitchen, and never tire of helping (enabling ?) others with their remodel decisions.

We are nearing the end of our kitchen remodel so I am working on a new album which will be on my .mac site. I'll send you the link when I'm done, plus it will be on the Finished Kitchens Blog. I'll link you to that if you haven't visited it. It was created by Starpooh, a very talented GW member and has become an invaluable resource for the TKO'd, as well as those just starting out. : )

HTH!
    Diana, still lovin' her stone : )

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB

• phenixk
    16 years ago

Finally, there is a provider of excellent quality soapstone in the Philadelphia, New Jersey area. Joe and Andy were so friendly and helpful. Having an extensive knowledge of soapstone, they were both able to dispel many of the myths that exist about soapstone, i.e., like the one that soapstone is porous (Not True!). I was pleasantly surprised to see for myself that there are varieties of soapstone --all of them beautiful and unique. If you want soapstone, call them. If you're not sure, call them. If you're not doing your kitchen or fireplace or bar or outdoor BBQ for another 2 years, no matter--GO SEE THEM. I have always thought of soapstone as the dull black tables in Chemistry Lab, but they are saturated with deep color and delicate veining and come in a variety of texture and color that I didn't know existed. I am thrilled with my soapstone countertops and am having the boys work on my outdoor Barbeque next. Did I mention that I love soapstone???? Here's where to find them:

Dorado Soapstone of New Jersey
    VPR Commerce Center
    1001 Lower Landing Road, Suite 103
    Blackwwod, NJ 08012
    Phone: 856-232-7627 (soap)
    Fax: 856-232-7622
    Email: joemack@doradosoapstone.com
    Email: andrewh@doradosoapstone.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorado Soapstone in New Jersey/Philadelphia

• dustydelights
    15 years ago

Phenixk- Can't believe I came across your post. We are considering using Dorado(now Phildadelpia) Soapstone for a soapstone countertop and were wondering if it was a good choice. There is another company in the area that also sounds good, but as you said, Joe and Andy have been great to talk with so far. I am still trying to decide what to do-soapstone (?) or not, and would love to see a countertop that has been used in someone's home to see if it holds up as well as they say it does. How long have you had yours? Are you pleased with the wear, etc.? Also, I really like the idea of the lighter gray color, but I am not sure if it would stay that way (without oiling it) like they say, and look good. Our other option is to use 12 x 12 retified porcelian tiles. I want a primitive country look since I have a house full of antiques.

• rbain_sd
    15 years ago

Wow, just saw your post on Dorado Soapstone of NJ. I am planning a remodel and just talked with Dorado Soapstone San DIego/Los Angeles! Very helpful and informative, it seems they recently opened out on the west coast.

The pictures they sent me were amazing, looks like the selection is really good. Has anyone else dealt with them on the west coast? The seemed to be beating everyones prices significantly.

• dustydelights
    14 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that we had our soapstone countertops installed by Philadelpia Soapstone last week. They did a nice job. They were very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions(and we had many). They were also patient and understanding when it came to helping us make the big decision to go with soapstone. It was fun to go to their site and pick out the stone which now is such a big part of our daily lives. So far we haven't oiled it because we are enjoying the natural look. It looks great with our large white cast iron sink.
    For anyone in the tri-state area, we're in Southern New Jersey, I would highly recommend Joe, Andrew and the crew at Philadelphia Soapstone. Way to go guys!

• mitchal
    14 years ago

Philly soapstone installed our countertops last week. They look AWESOME. They did a great job and made our kitchen look great. I also HIGHLY recomend them!
    Mitch

• ejlc
    13 years ago

I wish I could see the pictures. For some reason everybody else seems able to, but there are no links or pictures that I can see.

• natal
    13 years ago

Ejlc, this thread is more than three years old. The photos have been removed from the original poster's account.

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

I can't find any pictures either and I'd love to see some. :) It sounds wonderful.

• natal
    13 years ago

And looks like there was a spammer in the thread too.

Phenixk's one and only post on GW.

• mandm3
    13 years ago

Hello, can anyone let me know where to find a honed slab of either white fantasy or white america? I am in new jersey and so far, i've only been able to find polished slabs. Thank you!

• sewcan
    13 years ago

Wow! beautiful! We just finished our soapstone kitchen in San Diego, Ca. We used Greg at Soapstone Werks. I can't say enough about how well he crafted our countertops and sink. They have a great selection too. I would recommend them to anyone who wants the job done right.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler