Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonaskragebaer

was told you guys would like this :)

jonaskragebaer
13 years ago

hi there i posted these pictures in the garden gallery forum but didnt get much response, then i was told that you guys would probably like them, so here you go :)

heres a link to the thread with all the pictures

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gardgal/msg0511192830974.html?11

and heres a few samples :)

wild chervil and poppies

{{gwi:58328}}

clematis montana growing over our terrace,

{{gwi:58332}}

clematis/hydrangea and clematis :)

{{gwi:58362}}

Comments (35)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Hello and welcome to the forum! What a sight for sore eyes. Your pictures are beautiful and so nice to see right now. I have been cleaning dead iris fronds and leaves form one of my iris beds, so it is extra nice to see such glorious blooms! thank you for posting, and please do so again...soon!
    kay

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

Well, I enjoyed them. Thank you. What lovely flowers.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I have been wanting that clematis montana but I think I'm in too cold a zone for that particular one. Very pretty!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Chervil and poppies is a great idea. Almost looks like what we call "Queen Anne's Lace". Thanks for the sunny photos.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

You were told right!

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I told you! LOL!
    Thyme - did you notice this poster lives in Denmark?

Kathy

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

I rarely go to the gallery, so I'm glad you posted here. Love those poppies!

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Welcome! Your photographs are lovely and a joy to look at on a cold winters day.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting here. We love beautiful garden photos. I especially love the bright orange poppies.
    Renee

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

You were told right ;-) Loved the pics! Hope you come around here more often to show us your beauties!
    Thanks much...
    CMK

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Hi Kathy, I did see the poster was in Denmark but was thinking they possibly have some warmer zones there. This clematis is a tough one to figure out because the zones listed are all over the place depending on where the info comes from. I had thought it was only hardy to Z6. Maybe there's hope after all for me to grow this one.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos! I'm looking out on a sea of white and can't wait for something to pop through. Although with all the snow I wouldn't know even if it did. LOL Thanks for posting and don't be a stranger.

Bev

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

@Thyme2dig-I have been crazy about the Clematis Montana since seeing it in a book years ago. I knew for sure it would not make it in my MN garden but it is tempting to try it in Alaska (right on the coast). It makes me crazy how inconsistant the zonal information is from supplier to supplier. It makes sence in a way though since they have to hedge their bets on what they sell. It is fun to try different things if they look like they might be close though as long as you understand the risks. It used to drive me crazy when I first started gardening how innaccurate, misleading or darn right incorrect a lot of the information was through the mail order catalogs.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Freezengirl, I agree about the inconsistent zone info. The OP is in zone 8 and I've never seen it growing or for sale anywhere up here so this one might really be for warmer zones. I have admired this vine in my MIL's garden for years. It covers her junipers that are a blue color and the pink and blue is breathtaking. It is a huge vine and absolutely gorgeous in bloom. I guess I'm afraid to try it in my garden because I'd be so upset if it was OK for a number of years and then suddenly succumbed to the cold. I do like taking risks in the garden and pushing zones with some plants, but this one I wouldn't ever be willing to lose. So alas, I'll just admire it at her house 2 zones warmer.

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

I've been thinking about growing a climbing hydrangea but, I've heard they are slow to get srarted. How long did it take to get going in your garden?
    Thanks,
    Kitty

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Just the sort of thing to help us through until spring. I really love the poppies and chervil and I agree it reminds me of our Queen Anne's Lace which was one of my favorites as a child-had no idea it was considered a weed! Thanks!

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for all the nice comments, im glad you like it :)
    i dont know how hardy the clematis is but its doing fine here with temps down to -20c some places in our country :)

mnkitty:
    your prob. right about the hydrangea being a slow grower mine is about 8 years old i think and is 2 meters tall i think.

heres a few more :)

closer look at the poppies
    {{gwi:58330}}

{{gwi:58334}}

the c. montana growing over a small beech
    {{gwi:58335}}

heres some more chervil growing at the beach
    {{gwi:58340}}

sea kale, it thrives on our beaches and iv'e been thinking about planting a few in my garden
    {{gwi:58359}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

The path through the chervil has to be my favorite photo.

• flowerchildky
    13 years ago

just beautiful! thanks for sharing
    Linda

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

What lovely pictures and welcome to the forum, I see you grow fuchsias too, one of my addictions. You probably have a lot of Walz fuchsias available where you live, lucky you.

Annette

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you everyone :)

aftermidnight:
    well, i grow the 3 you see in the 3rd picture in the first post, i found them last year on sale for 2$ each the picture was taken about 2 weeks after i bought them,
    i wouldnt know if we have alot of walz fuchsias since i don't know what they are :)

another picture from the beach nearby beach :)
    {{gwi:58344}}

burial mount from the stone age, covered in flowers with our house in the background
    {{gwi:58369}}

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Hi Jonas - the wild chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris) is also a feature of our countryside but we usually call it cow parsley. I like your meadow planting style with the poppies.

Clematis montana is totally hardy throughout the UK. I'd never thought of it as being tender until I saw people here saying they couldn't grow it. I have a big one covering my shed. But we won't enjoy it this year because the roof needs retiling and the Clematis has to be cut down.But it will be back up ovet the roof next year.

• koszta_kid
    13 years ago

Look alot better then it does outside now here in Iowa.Weather Dude said we might get up to 18 inches of snow.Then 30 mile wind. Your pictures made me smile

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

Wild chervil (A sylvestris) is an introduced species that's quite common along our roadsides. It's of concern to farmers and is on the "watch list" in Vermont as a noxious weed.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I'm very fond of the WALZ varieties of fuchsias, a few of them have trickled over here but much easier to find on your side of the pond. I've given a link below to the breeder's website in case you're interested.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: WALZ Fuchsias

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Hi again Johanes. I had a look at your gallery pictures and I think I can help you with some identities. The white bulb in your garden looks like Ornithogalum nutans, Nodding Star of Bethlehem in English. The purply bulb is a Spanish bluebell, Hyacinthoides hispanica. It hybridises with the native bluebell in the UK and is endangering it, so if you have wild bluebells nearby you might want to get rid of the Spanish one.

Of your wild flowers, the large purple one along the road is comfrey, Symphytum officinale. The bright blue one in the next photo looks like Bugloss, Lycopsis arvensis or Alkanet, Anchusa officinalis, but without seeing the whole plant I can't be certain. It's certainly in the Boraginaceae. Your Silene looks like Silene vulgaris, Bladder campion. Your first 'cornflower' is perennial cornflower, Centaurea montana, known as Batchelor button in the US. The second cornflower is Centaurea cyanus. It is lovely to see it growing wild since it is well nigh extinct in the wild in the UK due to intensive farming. I am stumped by the tall white plant on the burial mound - it is not something I have ever seen before and as I can't see the flowers clearly I can't even place it in a family. A wild guess from what I can make out might tower cress, Arabis turrita, an introduction to N Europe from S Europe. You could google it and see if it looks right.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Flora, thanks so much for identifying all those flowers.

Love that bladder campion with the purple. Are those purples the spanish bluebell? If not, what? I just love that dreamy purple and white photo, gorgeous! Nice house in the background too :-)

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

aftermidnight:
    thanks for the link, the fuchsias i see on that side looks alot like those commonly sold here so your prob. right :)

Flora:
    thanks for the id's�:),
    i dont think theres a single wild bluebell anywhere near me, they're not that common over here, so i wouldnt worry about it hybridising. unfortunately i dont think its "Arabis turrita" :/

Gottagarden:
    no those arent blue bells, they're "Vicia cracca" unfortunately i dont know the common name in english

heres they are again :)
    {{gwi:58368}}

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Simply stunning!

I can just imagine myself throwing down a patchwork quilt and soaking up the sun with my picnic basket. Dreamy!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Vicia cracca is Tufted Vetch, Jonas (Sorry I called you Johanes before). If you can get more pics of the mystery plant I'd be very interested to see them. It bugs me that there's a N Europen wild flower I don't recognise. Flora.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Jonas, the pics are wonderful and so welcome on a frigid winter's day here in Texas! We've had no water for three days now and experiencing rolling blackouts mandated by the electric company, with daily temps below freezing even in the daytime. What a breath of fresh air your beautiful pictures are! Thank you for posting. Cheryl

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

im glad you like the pictures :)

flora, im sorry but i dont have a better picture of it, i can make a closeup of the flower tommorrow if you want?

cheryl. im sorry to hear that, whats wrong with the water/electricity? we've had day temps of -10c this winter but this week the frost left us :)

for those who like wild roses :)
    {{gwi:58363}}

elderberries growing behind the garden,
    {{gwi:58366}}

our pond behind the garden
    {{gwi:633867}}

evening view from my window
    {{gwi:58358}}

picture from october taken from another burial mount, showing withered chervil and Tanacetum
    {{gwi:58370}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful photos...and I especially love the wild rose...but can we see more pictures of your house, too? It's charming :)

• jonaskragebaer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you but unfortunately i dont have any pictures of the house right now :)

Sponsored