Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatplantguy

Agapanthus Blooming & Hardiness

Matt
10 years ago

I have an agapanthus I planted in the fall of 2012. It's the Midnight Blue variety and is touted as being hardy to zone 6. I gave it some winter protection, and it came back wonderfully with a lot of lush growth last year and bloomed.

But, there were only 3 blooms, 1 of which failed and shriveled up. I will have to search for the pictures I have of it saved somewhere. I am wondering with this winter being the frigid tundra it has, will it come back well and bloom? I've read that the colder areas, Zone 6 and 7, have trouble getting their agapanthus to bloom reliably.

I always mulch my beds well, and remember layering a little extra around the base of my agapanthus but that's the only protection I gave it (other than a good amount of its own leaves that fell over the base of the plants roots).

My questions are do I just need to give it a good dose of Phospherous in the springtime every few weeks to get a better bloom? I've had multiple people tell me that is the issue.

The plant is very large, it was in a 5 gallon pot when I bought it so its roots should be crowded like it supposedly is keen on. If anything it may need to be divided.

Do you think the drops into the teens will have done it in? I just hope Jack Frost didn't to my nice lush tropical looking agapanthus in, because I was becoming fond of it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County