Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

what plants are on your To Get list?

I have a whole document saved on my computer for a list of plants that I want. Every now and again I amend and revise this list as I get the plants or change my mind. I have fifty plants on the list. I don't think a quarter of those plants would fit in my garden; there is no room! But if I were objective I would narrow this list down to something like this:

Sedum ÂRed CauliÂ/ Sedum (get if ours is really dead)

Geum rivale/ Water Avens

Smilacina (Maianthemum) racemosa/ False SolomonÂs Seal

Saponaria officinalis ÂFloro PlenaÂ/ Double Soapwort

Lathyrus vernus/ Spring Vetch/ Everlasting Sweet Pea

Anemone ÂElsie FeldmanÂ& A. nemrosa ÂVestalÂ

Lilium martagon/ Turks Cap Lily

Platycondon ÂAxminster StreakedÂ/ streaked Balloon Flower

Papaver ÂPattyÂs PlumÂ/ Oriental Poppy

Spiranthes cernua odorata ÂChaddÂs FordÂ/ Nodding Ladies Tresses, Hardy Orchid

Artemisia "Golden Phoenix" & "Cragg Barber-eye"

Anthemis sancti-johannis/ St. JohnÂs Chamomile

Black-leafed geranium/"Espresso"

Callirhoe involucrata/ Poppy Lily, Wine Cups

Trilliums-any kind

Cardamine trifolia/ Bittercress

Lychnis chalcedonica "Alba"/ Maltese Cross

Cirsium rivulare ÂAtropurpureumÂ- thistle like flower

Scutlaria/ Skullcap

What plants are on YOUR "To Get" list for this year?

CMK

Comments (22)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Funny you should ask, I'm just starting my list of plants I'd like to have and then there's the must haves. The only plants I've ordered so far are 3 double Hellebores. I started my must have list with 2 Dahlias, Blue Bayou and Platinum Blond and went to search the website where I buy a lot of plants and it's not loading right now. Do you think my DH had something to do with that LOL.

Annette

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I noticed winecups on your list. I considered sowing some seed of those; they were in a mix I planted once, and so pretty.

Pelargoniums and various tropical houseplants that I can plant outside when the weather warms are on my 'watch for' list. I might add impatiens.

Nell

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Nell - you will love pelargoniums!!! They are simple to slip and multiply. I would like some true geraniums, especially biokovo and ballerina. I also want some blueberries(low bush) and raspberries. We'll see how the budget goes!!!

Nancy.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

This year I am into seeds big time.
    My most "must have" are:

Hollyhocks - any kind
    Foxgloves - love them all
    Poppies - any that would finally bloom here.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Natalie, so poppy seeds in late fall for spring bloom in the south. They are a cinch....if I can grow them here than you will have no trouble.

Theresa

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

I can confirm Nell's post. My Callirhoe seeds easily about the bed, so I imagine it would be very easy to start from seed under grow lights or a sunny window. If only the deer would keep their brown snouts off of it. Sigh!

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Here's my wish list. My goals are a better deer resistant garden (not deer proof) and plants that can take the heat and humidity of the SE.

- Salvia 'Mystic Spires'
    - Calanthe (the price of these has prohibited an acquisition so far)
    - Stachys macrantha
    - Pulmonaria
    - Aster 'English Countryside'
    - Belamcanda 'Hello Yellow'
    - Thermopsis chinensis 'Sophia' (I made the mistake of trying to divide mine this Fall. If you're reading this...DON'T DO THIS.)
    - Lycoris radiata
    - Berlandiera subacaulis
    - Cerostigma griffithii
    - Chrysanthemum 'Snow Dome'
    - Clematis 'Alionuska'
    - Coreopsis 'Full Moon'
    - Coreopsis 'Snowberry'
    - Coreopsis 'Sunshine Superman'
    - Erythrina x bidwilli
    - Geranium 'Brookside'
    - Helianthus 'First Light' (or another shorter, less aggressive Helianthus)
    - Indigofera 'Little Pinkie'
    - Iris cristata
    - Kalimeris incisa 'Blue Star'
    - Nierembergia 'Starry Eyes'
    - Rhodaphiala bifida
    - Heuchera 'Miracle'
    - Phygelis 'Purple Prince'
    - Platycodon
    - Sternbergia lutea
    - Symphytum 'Goldsmith'

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really MUST get Callirhoe if everyone praises it so highly! I should have gotten that one I saw at a nursery last year. But it was $9 and looked as if someone sat on it. I want to find a healthy plant. How long does the plant take to bloom if sown by seed?

-spazzycat, I am really interested in that Thermopsis you mentioned. Is is a dwarf cultivar? I have seen just the species sort that are called Golden Banner plants, but not this one. If it is smaller than the other sorts I want one!
    I bought what I thought was that same Comfrey several years ago, but it turned out to be something entirely different. My plant turned out to be Scrophularia auriculata 'Variegata'. I glad of this mistake, as this plant has turned out to be one of my favorites, and is not invasive like Comfrey.
    CMK

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

Just reading these lists confirms to me that I am WAY out of my league here! I want to find a yellow rose that blooms despite the heat and is hard to kill. Preferably that smells like a rose.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Chickenmom - lol!! Me too!! Sometimes I never know what I want till I see it - very dangerous!!!

Nancy.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Not doing much new, but do have a tray of wine cups in the milk parlor chilling for a bit before bringing it in under the lights. I have never grown them before but they are native, so I hope they do well. I am using seeds from another gardening friend saved from hers of last year.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

christinmk, Thermopsis chinensis is definitely smaller than T. montana, which I pulled out eventually because it flopped all over the place and the bloom time was very short to devote the space to. For me, Thermopsis chinensis tops out at about 2'. Here's a photo:

{{gwi:633951}}

It provides lemon yellow blooms for several weeks in early April. The rest of the season, it's foliage looks like a baptisia. It's also drought tolerant and deer resistant if that's important to you.

• pandorasgardens
    15 years ago

Wow, now I have lots of plants to add to my own wish list. I should never read this type of post! Spazzycat_1 I love the thermopsis picture. It's definitely on my list now.

gldno1, what in the world is a milk parlor? I have visions of old fashioned glass milk bottles sitting around a tea table on horsehair settees, gossiping and asking each other if they'd like lemon in their tea because they obviously couldn't want cream.

Original Author
    15 years ago

-yes, thank you spazycat! I wish I could have one. I first saw it in an English Gardens mag. I never knew there was a smaller sort. I just don't know where I would put it though... When in doubt cut out more grass! Thanks again for the pic and info.
    CMK

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

I'm not planning on ordering ANY plants this year - at least, not any ornamentals, lol. I am ordering a bunch of seeds, however.

From memory (all from the Pinetree catalog):
    Nicotiana - the tall white variety
    white echinacea
    nasturtiums - Jewel, iirc
    viola - I forget the name, but yellow with black markings
    heliotrope
    coleus - I forget the variety, maybe something like Purple Dragon?
    maybe one or 2 more things. These are mainly for the front yard which has been put on hold until we re-do the front sidewalk and driveway, so I figure I can try some annuals again and see if I have better luck this time. The heliotrope is for the back, however, and maybe some of the coleus. I might put nasturtiums in with the veggies.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Pandora - lol!!! The parlour is where the 'girls' go to relieve themselves of some buttercream and skim milk!!! It is cool, cause they are not heated, while the barn is heated by the body heat of the cows. From there the milk goes to a cooler, that is agitated only slightly, to keep it from separating. In Ontario, it is picked up by stainless steel, cooled tankers every other day, at least, depending on the size of the operation.

Nancy.

• pandorasgardens
    15 years ago

midnightsmum... It's the cooled parlor where the girls go to cool off on the fainting couches when those hot flashes/vapors set in. LOL! Thanks for the real definition. My, my, I had no idea what those cows were up to.

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

"Just reading these lists confirms to me that I am WAY out of my league here! I want to find a yellow rose that blooms despite the heat and is hard to kill. Preferably that smells like a rose."

Chickenmom, how about the old tea Lady Hillingdon? Should do well in your area and is a refined beauty of a rose. I have the climbing variety and it happily survives a South facing wall surrounded by concrete and stone in my zone 10 driveway! My DH says she's the prettiest rose I have. Another option for you might be Crepuscule, a noisette rose. I don't grow it myself, and I believe it's a tad more orangey, but I've heard rave reviews.

As for my personal wish list, I need 12 (yes, you read correctly, 12) new lavender plants to replant my lavender hedge. I also need a new spinal chord to cope with the job... Other assorted wishes include a couple more variegated hollies, a witch hazel (if I somehow manage to squeeze it in), a pink bougainvillia to cope with our dog days of Summer and an oakleaf hydrangea. The last one is virtually impossible to get, since I have never seen it offered for sale here.

I simply can't find perennials for sale here - only trees/shrubs and annuals. I wonder why this happens?

Eduarda

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Hillingdon

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

CMK - I grew a scuttelaria/skullcap last year. In just one season it had sent out runners in such alarming dimensions that I ripped the whole thing out, pretty thought it was. Very aggressive and would not share space with others.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks gottagarden. That is very helpful info! I did not know it was so rampant in our zone. It is considered a groundcover, but I thought it was better behaved. I was going to use it as a sort of filler inbetween other plants, but don;t think I will now.

A good alternative is Teucrium chamaedrys, a Germander. I have been growing this plant for a few years and LOVE it. I really like those small, shrubby plants to tuck in little bare spots in the garden.
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Teucrium chamaedrys

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

CMK, I see you have Lathyrus vernus/ Spring Vetch on your list. I love mine because it blooms so early.

Libby

• DYH
    15 years ago

I'm focusing on seeds this year to get some annuals going. A blogging friend just sent me a nice assortment of annual seeds that she gathered.

I want to plant more for winter since we can spend so much time on our front porch on sunny days. It's usually 30-40 degrees warmer than "out in the meadow" -- like this morning, it was 75° while the real temp was 36.

Agastache and salvia -- I have trouble staying away from those, so I'm sure a few more will come home with me at some point!

Sponsored