Summer - Winter

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

{{gwi:634187}}

{{gwi:634191}}

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Both are absolutely gorgeous pictures, I can't decide which one I like better and that's saying something as I absolute hate everything about winter right now.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I agree with Annette, except that I am wishing we had more snow here! All I ask is one decent-sized snow and one (or three) snow days closing school. Other than that, I am ready for spring! Thanks for the pics. They really are lovely.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

This is a lovely area both summer and winter. I see you moved the large pot. Is it cement? Do you move it inside for the winter?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments.

The urn is terra cotta, and yes I move it and all my other pieces into a storage shed for the winter.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

That is so great that you have the exact same view photographed in both seasons. Both seasons are beautiful and have such interest. Thanks for sharing them!

• thinman
    13 years ago

What a great comparison of equally beautiful scenes. The winter version especially makes me wish I had more structure to the flower garden section of my yard. That would also entail making it bigger! Maybe when I retire from the flower selling business, I can move my perennials from rows into a prettier setting. Not that I think I can match yours!

Very nice, Schoolhouse!

ThinMan

• scully931
    13 years ago

That would make a neat frame on the wall. Two openings, one for summer, one for winter.

I have to say, I like the summer one better. Winter is the enemy. :-P

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like them both, very much, but I'm going to pick summer...for the purple flowers! Plus, I have lots of snow right now, too :)

Mine aren't quite as good a match, but here's summer and winter.

{{gwi:44219}}

{{gwi:634193}}

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse - you have created lovely winter interest - like a sculpter!! Beautiful!!

Nancy - who doesn't have a favourite, but prefers the growing season!!

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

This thread is a good lesson in winter interest. Whether it is with evergreens, like schoohouse's, or structures, like LL's, I love it when you can see the form of the garden even in the winter.

Thanks for the pictures showing the contrast. They are both gardens with year-round beauty.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse,
    Glorious!
    I have a few small spots that look kinda nice in winter too, but nothing to compare to what you have created - ho way. I always love your Monet Garden photos.

L-L,
    Picturesque and scenic views of your new garden.
    I am amazed at how much you accomplished in your new garden area in only one season! Beautiful pictures that show off all that you have done. Can't wait to see how it continues to evolve this coming season.

We are getting a smittering of snowfall today. The ground is started to cool down and the snow is sticking now, but just a dusting. I'll take it! It is so dry here. This will be our first snowfall this season, and it might be our last. We usually get our first snowfall at the end of October thru early November. Supposed to get a deep freeze over the next few days with lows of 9 degrees F on Monday night, 8 degrees F Tuesday night, then warming way up to 11 degrees on Wednesday night - snow and freezing rain or ice. Then slowly creep back up into the 30s and 40s.

Snowfall and snow scenes are beautiful. I love the colorful winter birds and the contrast between the evergreens and all the dormant foliage and grass. I even like the wintry gray skies when snow storms are rolling in from the Rockies. Winter skies are the bluest skies and winter nights are so clear you feel you can almost touch the stars. I love the smell of hickory smoke from everyone's chimneys that hangs in the chilly air, and the crackle of the dazzling fire in your fireplace when it is so quiet you can hear a pin drop. But...driving on slick, icy roads is no picnic and when we get ice storms, the power goes off, sometimes for days and even weeks for the city folks. I don;t like dreary, dark skies and lack of color and sunshine. I don't like having to don layers of clothes to go out and break ice so the poor birds can get a drink and tending to the chickens in the cold. Sometimes having to go out at night and fix electrical connections or light bulbs that have blown out, and finding emergency ways to keep the greenhouse from freezing and keeping my "girls" warm at nights. I don't like winter for those reasons and more. I have never liked being cold, even as a child enough to want to spend much time outside playing in the snow. I often got sick.

I love the colors and smells of the warm months. I love the warmth of the sun and the cool breezes. The smell of summer rain showers and watching lightening bugs n a summer night. I like being able to wear shorts and flip-flops when I go out to take care of the chickens. I like playing in the sprinkler and swinging on my tree swing. I love working in my garden or even just to be able to go somewhere without taking provisions in case I get stuck or break down in the cold. I have a lot more positive check marks in the column for Warm Weather. :)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer