Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone in Zone 5/6 grow passion flower vine?

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 13:34

I have seen catalogs that advertise passion flower vine 'Maypop' as being hardy to Zone 5. But I have never seen them in anyone's garden and have never seen them in local nurseries, which makes me doubt they are really hardy here. They look too exotic and tropical to grow here, but I love the way they look.

Anyone grow them in zone 5 / 6? What has been your experience?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone in Zone 5/6 grow passion flower vine?

I am in a slightly warmer zone 6b-7. Some years warmer, some years colder. It grows wild here. Vines go dormant after the first hard freeze and but comes back out again the following year. There was some growing down along the creek on the road easement, but appears to be gone now. Don't know if the drought got it or if some farmer or the utility guys sprayed it. Wish I had dug it up and moved it onto my property. It was gorgeous!

I bet if you mulched it deeply you could grow it. The vines are like Clematis vines - thin and woody and somewhat fragile, but the root system goes deep. In the wild, it likes moist, well-drained, loamy soil that contains lots of decayed leaves.

~ Annie

o

Brenda,

I was lucky enough to see a huge one for the first time this year in an older suburb near Chicago - we're in zone 5 and sometimes we gets lots of snow but oftentimes part of our winters consist of very little snowcover which I think makes it tougher on perennials & groundcovers.

The woman who owned the house said it was already a mature sized vine about 6-7 feet when she moved in 7 years ago.

But the vine was definately in a sheltered area - it near the SE corner of a brick house (brick is warmer then clapboard or stucco) and it was partially sheltered by a large 'Capitata' Yew on the corner. So you could say zone 5 but I would say from the partial protection of the evergreen and warmth of the brick it probably was closer to zone 5b or perhaps even zone 6.

When I saw it was a good 6 foot plus and in full flower in September. It had seedlings all over the place and I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a couple which I planted right away at my place.

I took my cue from her and planted mine right up against the brick of my house on a west exposure - so we'll have to see if it makes it through this winter.

o

Yes, the one that grew down on the creek was sheltered on the north side by tall prairie grasses on the bank, trees and bushes on the south, so it also had filtered afternoon shade in summer.

o

Here, it goes black and icky!!! lol. However, like they said, protected and mulch - if you can afford to loose it, go for it.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maypop Passionflower: Passiflora incarnata

o

Like Annie, they grow wild here. I was brush hogging on top of a hill once after we fist moved here and there was this vine with pale lavender, fragrant blooms covering the flat top of the hill. I was just amazed and found that it is a native passion flower vine. Some years it is around and others it is not.

The scent is almost sickening to me, but you have to get up close to smell it.

We are considered northern Missouri for planting because of our elevation, so possibly zone 5.

o

OK, so it seems they are probably hardy. Why don't more people grow them?

I think I will give it a try this spring.
Thanks!

o

They're pretty easy to root and overwinter as well. You could always take cuttings in the fall just in case it doesn't survive due to exceptionally cold weather.

o

I was browsing the seed racks at RKO today(again)and saw two slots for Passion Flower Vine - but they were empty. Must have been a very popular item.

o

They are considered weeds here. I fight them all the time to keep them out of my large containers.

Isn't that odd how one area treasures what another tries to eradicate? Maybe I should just forget about plumbago in that big planter and enjoy the passion vine!

o

I'm definitely zone 5 and I grow passion flower as an annual. I've not had it come back for me even in a "mild" winter. I do take cuttings and over winter a few inside. Then, just plant them out in late May/early June. Don't plant them out too soon - they are called May Pops because they pop up in the real warmth of May. Up north, that means closer to Memorial Day. Growing from seed is tricky. The seeds have erratic germination.

o

I found some at Lowes today. I decided to presprout them since I have read that they have difficulty germinating. I put them in moist coffee filters and ziplock bags. They're laying on my homemade bottom heat chamber. I hope they germinate. I have a red one. These are bluish and light green.

o

The Passion Vine is grown regularly here in SE Michigan. Many of the Italian immigrants pass these flowers along and they flourish here and can get out of control (20-40 feet in one season). They die back completely in the Winter and grow a foot a week during the Hot Humid June - Sept.

After going to Milwaukee several times, I think Detroit is a zone or two more temperate than anywhere in Wisconsin. I think your weather is more like the northern Lower Peninsula and UP than SE Mich. I know that even Chicago is a zone cooler than Detroit.

You may want to try it. Cover the roots with mulch during the die off period and see if they come up the next year.

Good Luck!

o

theyardman...Do you know what species you have seen in the Detroit area?

o

I'm 6b/7a but the variety that I have, passiflora incensa, would work in zones 5 and 6. You can't kill it. I know because my husband doesn't like the vine and has ripped it up a few times where it has spread. It comes back.

o

Here in zone 8 it is a difficult to eradicate but lovely weed. It is very invasive and will spread by runners under ground. I spent many hours summer before last digging those runners up. I think I have won the battle, but it is too soon to declare victory.

On the other hand, butterfly bushes that are a real problem in some areas grow where they are planted here.

Like Linda, I am amused by how things can be treasured in one area and detested in another.
kay

o

A few years ago, we actually sold it at the nursery that I work in. We sold it as an annual even though I heard it could be a possible perennial. Unfortunately, we don't have enough humidity for them and too extreme of winters here in Colorado. They didn't even do that well growing as an annual due to our hot summers. But if you find it a protected spot you should definitely go for it. They are so cool! Haha

o

I bought a pack of seeds last year and never planted the passion flowers. This year I was very motivated and planted 16 seeds. Disappointed with the lack of seedlings when all the other plants started their growth, I did a search on the internet. I read it can take up to 12 months for Passion Flower seeds to germinate. Well discouraged, I still carted the container from sun spot to sun spot, inside.

Well less than a month after sinking the seeds into the soil, I found a seedling! Then two!! Now I have 5 growing, all in around 4 weeks.

Looking forward and hoping to seeing more growth and flowers this summer!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: After 2 1/2 Weeks of Germination

o

My mom grows them in pots and trims them back in fall and keeps them indoors for the winter.

Martha

o

I grew up in Cleveland suburbs in an area close enough to Lake Erie to be zone 6. I remember an elementary school classmate bringing a maypop flower in to show-and-tell. Since I still remember it almost 50 years later, it must have made quite an impression, or maybe (since I come from a non-gardening family) it was the novel idea that one could get excited about plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here