Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Do you grow lilies?

I really fell in love with oriental Lillie's last summer. The smell is just so incredible I can't believe I never used any in the garden till now! I have some small asiatic Lillie's (unscented) and love them too. But omg, the orientals are so wonderful. If you have any, please post pics ! I'd love to see.

I don't know the name of these.

{{gwi:634318}}

I adore this border when it blooms! I have them planted between catmint.

{{gwi:634320}}

Here is the border

{{gwi:634322}}

I seldom use red in my garden, but this guy wormed his way in!

{{gwi:634325}}

These smell so great!

{{gwi:634328}}

Supposed to be stargazer, but weren't

{{gwi:634330}}

{{gwi:634332}}

{{gwi:634335}}

Comments (13)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Yowza! Hubba Hubba!!! Just when I said no more plants....

• Cher
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos. I do grow a couple different colors. They are very pretty flowers.
    Cher

• threedogsmom
    12 years ago

There was a post called "show me your lilies..." that you can search for. I posted some nice pics on there under my old name "threedogsmom". I also posted some nice combo pics that had lilies and other perennials in a post called "pretty combos". I don't know how to link to those posts in this reply but you should be able to search for them, or at a minimum search for "threedogsmom" and the threads will be listed since I posted to them.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

LF, I love all kinds of lilies, so much that even though I am so allergic to them, I planted 7' tall white lilies in front of my porch (along with about 20 other colors, sizes, styles). I was able to "deal" with the allergy problem for quite some time. But then the lily leaf beetle came in. I waged war against them for a number of years as well. So the lilies had 2 strikes against them, but their beauty always won. But alas, the third strike came when the chipmunks started to love them even more than I. They would shimmy up each stem and bite off the buds! Those little buggers! After that last blow I finally dug them all up and gave them away to friends.

Come to think of it, my rose garden went much the same way. Allergies...beetles...critters...dig up and give away to friends! At least I have lots of friends who now enjoy roses and lilies from my garden!!

If you ever see the red lily leaf beetle on your lilies get to them immediately. It is amazing how much damage they can do very quickly.

Love your phots and how the catmint interspersed with the lilies makes it looks like a gorgeous arrangement in a vase. Is that the border right in front of your fence where the clematis is going to go? Very nice.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I love lilies and love the ones you have planted what are the tall blue flowering plants growing amongst the lies

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

Great pictures.I love the many colors. I can see I will be looking for more.LOL

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Oh My!!! I just saw the adora-Bull Bulldog!!! I Love Bullies!!!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Lilyfinch, your photos are lovely. I can't seem to get enough lilies either. Some of mine are pictured in the link. I don't know how to make it open into a slideshow.

I love it when people post pictures at this time of year. I miss the flowers so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bev's lilies

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments! I looked up the thread ravens fan suggested, and there sure are some beauties there.
    Finchelover, the blue plant is walkers low catmint. It's my favorite plant in general, that just does well for me. I'd plant it everywhere if I could! If you are referring to the blue plant in the first pic, I believe it is may night salvia. Also loved here!
    Thyme, I would hate to think how hard it is to garden with allergies! Just dosnt seem fair! I had to look up the lily leaf beetle you mentioned. I'll be honest, I've heard of it but didn't want to acknowledge it could be a problem,. But now that I've seen it I can be on the lookout.
    Bev, thanks for sharing your pictures! I love them. I also enjoy pictures this time of year. I wish people would post more! :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

No, but I think they're very pretty. You have some beautiful ones and the fragrance is amazing. My mom grows some, but between the cold and the barn kitties, I haven't added any, in my garden.

What is the white flower, in the first picture? That would be perfect, in our fairy garden :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LL, it's a gaura! I love them. I don't remember the variety , there are many. There is one variety i Iove, called whirling butterflies. They change between pink and white so it's very pretty!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lilyfinch :)

It's such a pretty flower and I wondered if it was gaura. I wish I could grow them...maybe in a more protected area. I did try a pink one a few years ago, but it got too cold that winter and it didn't come back. Maybe some varieties are a little hardier?

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

I do grow some lilies. I tend to like the taller types, like this Lilium speciosum rubrum.

{{gwi:634337}}

I just got a couple bulbs of a Lilium lankongense hybrid called "Eros" that I am looking forward to seeing bloom in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to a blog that shows an Eros lily

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert