Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A brief potter on the first day of the year.

Posted by flora_uk SW UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 14:43

Well, the sun came out today after days of gloom and rain so we managed a muddy walk in the country and lunch in a pub garden. Had the roof down driving back!

Then I wandered out into the garden to do a bit of tidying up. Cut back some Clematis. Swept up some leaves. Cursed the slugs already nibbling the bulb shoots.

Beginning to see some signs of spring. Flowers buds on the Hellebores and Chaenomeles. Winter flowering honeysuckle blooming with a dopey bumble bee doing the rounds. Snowdrops coming up.

Tomorrow and the rest of the week the forecast is more rain and gloom. But what a difference a drop of sunshine makes to your mood.

Anyone else had New Year's Day in the garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A brief potter on the first day of the year.

Happy New Years everyone. I have a gang coming for the annual beef dip get-together. I never know how many are coming until they actual arrive. Sooooo, I cooked a large Baron of Beef, a eight pounder this year, have lots of fresh buns from the bakery, two big salads, Greek and a Caesar and for dessert frozen lemon mousse. This is buffet style everyone serves themselves. The liquid refreshment consists of coffee tea or....

As far as the garden goes DH and I tied up a very floppy hydrangea when we came home from getting a few groceries but that's it. It's foggy and damp outside, so couldn't get too enthusiastic about doing anything else.

Annette

o

Not much going on in my garden today. The morning temp was -15 with 10" of snow but it has warmed up to a balmy 14 this afternoon! I've been inside with hot chocolate and garden seed catalogs. Today has been a really nice start to the new year. Wishing everyone a Happy New Garden Year!

o

I did the same kinds of things. I keep wandering out the door and trimming dead things back that don't care about having protective covers of leaves. Trimming spent pansy blooms and violas left and right. Cut back the hedychiums that have finally frozen some.

I have several newly planted bulbs which are very confused about their time of year. I have 3 snowdrops which came up and have put up buds-- but not opened. I'm hoping they can hold on for another month or so until it is time for them. They've stood still for 2 months now, so that may be a possibility.

I had a few spring-blooming violets bloom out last week in confusion as well. That's fine. It was a cheerful surprise.

o

Barely made it to 20*F (-7*C) so I stayed in and watched college football games.

But it was sunny.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here