Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockin_zappy

One or Two Colors only?

rockin_zappy
13 years ago

Hey folks, I'm just getting started on gardening and I'm busy planning my front perennial bed for spring/summer. I like so many things it's hard to narrow it down, so I had the idea to do a two-color scheme for the flowers and/or foliage. My favorite color is purple, so I decided to do different shades of purple accented with white and ivory. It's a part-shade area, and so far I have picked out some "Amethyst" astilbe, some purple and some white daylilies, and some purple Siberian iris. Also, Bluestone Perennials has this plant called Cimifuga, which I liked because it has dark-purple foliage and tall, spiky white flowers, and I thought it was very pretty. I could probably fit quite a few more plants in there as well, but I don't want it to get too overwhelming since I'm still a beginner.

So my question is, is this a stupid thing to do? Do I need more colors? Will too much purple and white make the individual plants less noticeable? Have any of you done a bed that was only one or two colors, and if so, how did it turn out?

Comments (13)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Two colors if fine if that is what you like. It's about what you LIKE. I will say that too much purple in a shadier location will not always show up really well, especially if you like dark colors. However, you can certainly pull it off if you check to see where in your area plants with white or ivory flowers (or even variegated foliage) bloom with some purple plants. Place white behind the purple to show up the purple on a beautiful light background. That way the purple doesn't fade into the shadows.
    In the same way you are using two hue's of white (white and ivory) you could use various shades of purple- some brighter and some darker if you like that look.
    You mention your fear of white and purple alone being too "busy". Use your foliage to make sure it's not! Create areas of green as places for the eye to rest. Nice larger leaves like large hostas are often used for this purpose and make a lovely resting place between flowers, for the eye in shadier gardens.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I think two-color themed gardens can be very relaxing to look at. ggg has mentioned some good points tho.

• grandmachris
    13 years ago

I have a sunny bed in purple (blue-violet to red-violet) combined with cream-palest yellow flowers. Salvias--cardonna, purple rain, yarrows-- pale yellow and cream, beauty berry bush in the fall, Edging with cream and purple hyacinths in early spring and annual salvias in jewel town purples in the summer. It's an island bed viewed from all sides. Purple Emperor sedum. I love it. I have some large alliums and a yucca near the center for height. It's
    quite dry. Yours sounds as if it might be damper.

Your choices sound very nice and will probably do
    well with light shade as well. I think the colors
    are wonderful together.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Yep I agree! The colors will look so pretty and most important your garden should make you happy! I know mine does.

• rockin_zappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, my house is white with pale-gray Carthage stone. This bed will be right in front of my front porch which has a white railing. I thought the purple flowers or some dark purple foliage would contrast nicely with it. It's not TOO shady, just in the afternoon when the shadow from the house hits it. I think there is enough sun for most things to grow well, but not enough to scorch it and not enough for plants that want full sun. We usually get plenty of rainfall here so I'm not worried about dryness. I have quite a few more ideas of things to add. I was just hoping that two colors wouldn't look confusing to the eye or look boring. I guess if others have had success with it then it works, so I will try it! Thanks!

I have quite a bit of work to do, but I'm really looking forward to sitting on my front porch with a glass of iced tea and looking at my flowers!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Depending on where you live, your afternoon shade is probably BETTER than full sun (it surely is in my garden!). And how lovely you have one of those beautiful stone homes. Is it a heritage home? I think your garden is going to look absolutely beautiful. If it is right in front of your porch, you may want to include a little bit of winter interest if you come and go out that door. I have some beds without "foundation" plants by my porch and front door...they are so NEKKID during winter. Someday there will be some other things in them but the jasmine vine and some containers help for now...

• rockin_zappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heritage? I doubt it. It was built in the 1950's, which is old but not THAT old. I think whoever built it just wanted some fancy-looking stonework to offset the siding. As for some foundation, I'm thinking of putting a shrub or two in there along with maybe a birdhouse-on-a-stick (or pole, I guess). I wanted a butterfly house but I can't find one I like that isn't ridiculously expensive.
    I'm also thinking about a birdbath in front with a flowerbed around it, a bulb garden along the curb in a nice sunny spot, and a shade garden under my large maple tree, but those are projects for another time. My yard is so bare! But I can't do it all at once!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Sounds like a great plan. I am considering a light blue and purple bed, just those two colors. I love that combo, and the rest of my garden is all in hot colors.

You may want to try some bearded irises, since they come in purple and white and some even have variegated foliage. Siberian irises are gorgeous too and have pretty foliage.

One bed at a time...

Renee

• rockin_zappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love tall bearded iris but I figured they would want more sun than that front bed has to offer. I have other areas that are more sunny for them. The purple and light blue combo sounds wonderful. Do you plan yours for color only or do you consider things like fragrance and attracting butterflies? I'm considering a couple of things for the smell and for the hummingbirds and butterflies, but those are bonus traits. The main thing right now is that they will be fairly easy to get established in that spot.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I have black snakeroot from Bluestone growing in my full shade bed north side of my garage. The toad lily growing beside it started blooming late summer and kept going until the snakeroot bloomed in late October. This is another purple/white combination you might consider for late/end-of-season interest:

{{gwi:635733}}

{{gwi:635734}}

{{gwi:635735}}

{{gwi:635736}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oh, I love any garden that has purple, lavender, or both :)

Your garden sounds like a great idea! Some purple hostas would do well (they're very pretty) and maybe some white bleeding heart? Lily of the valley (just remember it's poisonous) and violets are wonderful, in front. Some sweet peas (they have all lavender, purple or white) would be beautiful. They need some sun in the spring, but would prefer a little shade for summer, so if you have big trees leafing out, that should work.

Also a great choice, little violas and pansies, maybe some purrple and white columbine...and if you have a little sun in front...purple, lavender and white alyssum are beautiful and have such a nice fragrance! If there's a little sun here and there, purple, lavender and white stock are all beautiful. I planted dark purple hyacinths all along the front of my garden and the bumblebees love them!

I think a birdbath is a very nice idea. Adding some plants for the bees, butterflies and birds is always so much more enjoyable...and brings life to your garden. Catmint and lavender are also great, if you have a sunny edge.

My gardens are usually pink, lavender, purple and white, with a little blue...although I do have much sunnier colors in the kitchen garden (with the vegetables, fruit and herbs). Enjoy your new garden! Here's a picture of my front bed, with the bird bath. The roses are still small, but you can see the lavender and the alyssum :)

{{gwi:105863}}

Here's a close up of the pansies, in the fairy garden. This is on the shady side of the house (northeast) but the pansies love it! I think the white is verbena.

{{gwi:302889}}

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

gardenweed,
    Do you find that the snakeroot and toad lily require a lot of water? They are so pretty but I'm not sure if I'd be able to hydrate them enough...

lavender lass,
    Which species of pansy is that? So pretty!

rocking zappy,
    I think that's a great color combo, and you can incorporate different colored and variegated foliage to add more interest. Lime-green foliage looks very nice with purple flowers--pineapple upside-down cake hosta or japanese forest grass would pair well. Siberian iris need less light than bearded iris and do well on the northeast corner of my home (and they come in purple, white, and blue--white swan is my favorite). If you wanted to stretch the purple into a more magenta color, Foxy foxglove is beautiful, a manageable height, and easy to grow (but like all foxgloves very toxic, so not good for dogs or kids) and Pam's Choice foxglove is a beautiful white with a maroon throat.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

newbie - the snakeroot and toad lily did as well as any of the others in that bed with the terrible drought we had last year. I watered everything, every day, hoping I wouldn't lose anything. I'm pretty sure most everything will come back. That was only the snakeroot's second year growing there and it was the first year for the toad lily so I can't be sure how they'll handle "normal" growing conditions in that bed. It IS a dry shade area but everything else thrives during a year with normal rainfall.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations