Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for good books on cottage gardening/gardens

Posted by heavenlyfarm 6 (free2be_any1@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 18:29

Looking for books on cottage gardening/gardens. I haven't really found that much searching amazon.com and reviews are usually mixed on every book so thought I'd ask here! Any books that come with lots of nice pics are a plus!! Please help me find some new reading material :)
~michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for good books on cottage gardening/gardens

michael, what area are you in and what zone? I live in Texas, Zone 8, and have found books that pertain to my area, like Texas Native Perennials, Texas Tough Plants, etc.

o

zone 6. My favorite book I got for Christmas was Tasha Tudors Garden book! LOVED IT!

~michael

o

I'll look through my gardening books in the next few days to see what I think might interest you. Also, look up "Cottage Garden Books" in the search area at top right of page, bet you'll find some ideas - good luck!

o

I love reading gardening books! My three that I reach for at the end of winter to get me going are:
The Cottage Garden by Christopher Lloyd (its like the Bible of garden books for me)
English Cottage Gardening for American Gardeners by Margaret Hensel (Tasha Tudor wrote the foreword)
Front Yard Gardens Growing more than Grass by Liz Primeau
Many of the plants are out of my zone but I just look at the pictures, read and get inspired.
The Tasha Tudor book is amazing so if you like that you will love these. I think the Christopher Lloyd and Liz Primeau book are in paperback, the other one is a little pricey .

Happy Reading!

o

The Cottage Garden by Christopher Lloyd is one of my favourites too, but no-one wanting to make a cottage garden can miss out on reading We Made a Garden by Margery Fish.
This was the first of her six books on cottage gardening.
They are all good, but start with her first book.
If you don't know about her, just google "Margery Fish"
She is definitely one of my heroes.
Daisy

o

Thank you for the recommendations! I added alot of these to my list to shop for!! any more suggestions appreciated :)
~michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here