Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou1850ft

New to gardenweb

lou1850ft
11 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm new to gardenweb. Started out being a lurker 4 years ago ( gave me the nerve to try out my yard fantisies) but lavender lass asked for garden photos. I had posted some yearlier today but lost them? So for now I will stick to one! And last but not least you people have gardens that bring the word swoon to mind!

Comments (11)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Welcome to the board.You'll find lots of enablers here that are all willing to help you spend your money.LOL,LOL You have a nice looking yard.
    These folks have some gorgeous garden and you'll learn a lot here.
    Kathi

• lou1850ft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you Kathi, I dont always trust my ideas so having people in kahoots will help. Such as ideas for the post's
    I was thinking of rock on the bottom 1/3 and then white boards with trim on the top? The post just dont look chunky enough to just paint white.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Welcome to posting!

Wow, your garden is spectacular, and I love your stonework. That fireplace is beautiful! I agree with you that your posts are too skinny. Your plan sounds good. The stone bases would look great with your cobble paths and the stone fireplace.
    Renee

• Cher
    11 years ago

Your garden is beautiful. Agree the stonework is gorgeous and your idea is great for your posts.
    Cher

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Hi Lou and welcome to the forum!

"you people have gardens that bring the word swoon to mind!"

Lou, your garden is definitely 'swoon-worthy'. Your first pic looks like a lovely little oasis!

I'd probably just replace the skinny posts with 6"x6" wood ones but then I usually keep it simple (easy) and have no talent at stone-work. Your pond and FP are lovely - did you do those yourself?

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your lovely garden. :)

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Are you talking about the porch posts? If so, no need to replace them. Just cover them with 1 x 4 on all 4 sides. Caulk and then paint them white. That is what the builder (my DH) did for our porch at my former house. If I can find a picture, I will post it.

That said, welcome to "this" family of gardeners.

Kathy

• lou1850ft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you everyone! Plantmaven, I think what I am going to do is do the bottom 1/3rd stone and the top 2/3rds in the way you talked of. Of course its going to have to wait awhile. Its been 21 degrees here with snow..which gives me a really bad case of spring fever! LOL

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Your plants are beautiful! Too lush to be in TX. We have been in a drought for several years.
    Things get so pretty and then the heat hits mid May.
    No spring fever here......yet. We are just now having our "winter". No hard frost yet. I still have roses blooming.

• lou1850ft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plantmaven I love columbines! I grow them but have a problem with mildew and rot, so I enjoy them while I can. What are the taller yellow flowers near your porch? I feel bad for you with the drought, I complain enough just having to water twice a week when its summer. It would help I suppose if I put in a watering system. I have a niece who just moved her family to TX. Shes enjoying the warmth! Im thinking shes in for a shock coming june july?

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

They are also columbines. They are a hybrid of Texas red native and Hinkleys gold.

Yes, the first summer in TX is a shocker.

What part of TX does she live? I am in San Antonio. Also what part of the country do you live?

• lou1850ft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My niece moved to austin, her husband landed a good paying job so its off to another adventure! I'm in the foothills of the cascades in oregon, I'm at 1850 elevation so I dont have the warmer weather like the valley, we're always about 10 days behind and 10 degrees cooler on average. Its always a gamble planting tomatoes and forget melons. Biggest problems are deer, birds and pocket gophers.(photo shows what deer can do to covered beds!)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting