Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Mare had a rough day...please send good thoughts :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

My baby girl, Mandy, was having tummy problems, today. That's a big concern with horses, since colic can kill them. To give her credit, we walked her in circles for two hours, then she finally decided to leave the barn and run up and down the 1/4 mile pasture twice, with us running behind. Then she pooped! (Sorry, but this is GREAT news.) Anyway, I think she'll be okay, but we could really use some positive thoughts sent our way. She's our little girl, Cordell's best friend (our stallion) and mom to the four boys.

She's the one on the left, Cordell on the right...aren't they a cute couple? They've been friends since Mandy was born, 6 weeks after Cordell :)

{{gwi:636886}}

Here Mandy is with her youngest boy, Lucky, with Chance (a year older than Lucky) in the background.

{{gwi:636887}}

Here's another picture of them together :)

{{gwi:636888}}

Keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be okay. She's our little sweetie and after spending the last six hours with her (in 20 degree weather and a foot of snow) I know we've done everything we can. It's dark now, so we're just hoping for the best.

Comments (25)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry everyone! I was on the Conversations forum, hit the wrong button and somehow ended up back here...anyway, thanks for reading this and I'll let you know how Mandy feels tomorrow.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I hope she gets her guts back in order soon! :-) I was lucky with my Nutmeg (a.k.a. Piglet!) She had a cast-iron stomach and never once got the dreaded colic. Your Cordell's face reminds me of Nutmeg's. I miss her and enjoy the pictures of your beautiful beasts. You're so lucky to have both horses and a big garden. I hope you have a dog or two to keep you all company too...?

Get well soon Mandy.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

lavenderlass, glad Mandy is OK now. Hope she continues to eat and drink well, and do the other stuff, too.

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

Understand completely how you are feeling. My horse used to colic once or twice a year. Her mother died from colic. So I know what keeping her walking meant. Also know how ecstatic you felt when she did her "thing". Sounds like she is on the road to recovery.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Hugs to you and Mandy.

I never did get that horse that I asked Santa for every year.
    I was and still am horsecrazy!

We had a dairy farm and I can remember similar concerns. Think sometimes we had to use a hose. Not pleasant for anyone/being involved but relief for all in the end. ;)

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

LL, please keep us updated on Mandy - not good, but hopefully this will work out okay.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

So sorry Mandy was sick! But glad she is on the road to recovery. And this comes not long after your kitty was so sick too!

How is Mandy doing as of today?
    Sending Mandy get-better-soon hugs ;-)
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

More get better soon hugs from me too. Hopefully she's over the worst and well on the way to recovery.

Annette

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for the kind words and concern! :)

Mandy looks like she's feeling better, today. She's up and moving around, but still laying down every once in a while. Of course, we really tired her out yesterday, too, and with a big pasture, they all lay down and take naps when they're tired.

We'll try feeding her in a few hours and see if she has any appetite. So far, all signs look good, so we hope she'll make a full recovery. Cordell and the boys are always close by, but today, they're all within 10 feet of 'Mama' :)

We don't have any dogs, but the horses think they're dogs (and often act like it) since they guard the pasture, follow us around for walks, and come when they're called. They even chase unwanted animals out of their 'yard'! LOL They're very cute!

CMK- Yes, it's been hard, because we lost our kitty, not too long ago. He was such a good boy and my husband's little buddy, so we're still recovering from that...we really hope Mandy will be okay.

Thanks again for all the hugs and support!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

LL, glad to hear Mandy is doing better. Your horses are all just so beautiful. And their personalities sound awesome. I don't know much about colic in horses but I had a big dog that got bloat and we had to walk for hours and I completely understand how you felt when the poop came out! It's very scary. Mandy's lucky to have very dedicated family members who take such great care of her.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mandy ate some dinner, so we're very excited. We decided to wait until afternoon to feed them, so she had plenty of time to rest and feel better. She was eating a little hay and seems to be getting better. We'll know more tomorrow, but thank you all for your good thoughts! I'm sure it makes a difference and we really appreciate it :)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I'm so glad Mandy is doing better! I hope she keeps on feeling fine, such a beautiful lady!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I'm so glad your baby is doing better! I think they are so beautiful. And that's so sweet that they follow you and listen so well, my dog dosnt even do that! Lol I hope she is 100percent better soon.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Was happy to open this thread and see good news. Hope she keeps improving.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for checking on her. This morning, she's out in the field, standing up, with all the other 'kids' so everything looks good. Still crossing fingers, but so far, she looks great.

I talked to a vet on the phone, who thought she was doing much better, but suggested I check on our water heater (little plug in heater in their horse trough). Sometimes, with all this cold, they can start to spark a little...and the horses don't drink enough water.

Later today, I'm off to town to buy a new one. They're not expensive, so it makes sense to replace it, just in case. We'll let you know how she feels tonight, but if she's still eating and staying out with the other horses, she should be all better :)

Thanks again and have a great day!

• BecR
    13 years ago

Yay I am so happy to hear your sweet horse Mandy is feeling better, LL! Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed that she stays that way. XX Becky

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

WOO HOO!! She must be happy to be out there with the rest of the gang.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Aww.. they are cute! Can we 'adopt' them? hahaha.

Glad your horse is feeling much better. How do they get colic anyway? With all that roughage don't they have ease in doing the number 2? Forgive my asking, I've not a clue on horse caretaking.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their love and support for our 'kids'. You are all wonderful! Who knew GW would bring us so many friends?

Ianna- Thanks, they are cute, but no adoptions, for now :)

I'm not really sure what causes colic (I'm hardly an expert) but I know that all vets and horse owners fear it...and it has something to do with the horse's digestion being blocked. If they lay down and roll around, their intestines can twist and they die. Very sad! My mom lost her horse that way, some years ago. She boarded her horse with a friend and it came on very suddenly.

So, Mandy is running around a lot, drinking, eating a little and we hope her appetite improves. If it does, she should be just fine! Every day, she looks better :)

Oh, the water heater was sparking (or so it seems) because the boys came up to drink and were dipping their noses in really quick....and out again. Not their usual behavior at all. So, we got a new heater the other day and it's much better. We even saw Mandy taking a drink today, so we know they're using it again. Thank goodness the vet suggested checking it!

So, take care and I hope you all have a great day! Don't forget tea today (Conversations forum at 4pm ET) if anyone wants to stop by :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to let you all know that Mandy is back to her old, bossy self and running those boys around the pasture! :)

She's feeling great, eating, drinking and everything else, just as she should be.

Thank you all for the wonderful messages of support! I know it helped and I can't tell you all how much that means to us...but thank you so much!

I'll try to take some new pictures of them, so you can see how big the boys have gotten. Lucky and Chance don't look like the pictures above, anymore :)

Also, everyone is back drinking water and the new heater has worked like a charm.

Thank you all so much!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Glad to hear this good news.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

LL, thanks so much for the update! I've been thinking about Mandy a lot lately hoping she was still on the road to recovery. It is so good to hear she is fully recovered. What a scary thing for you to go through and what a wonderful job taking care of her. I would love to see some more pictures your beauties.

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

Hi LL, so glad Mandy is back to normal, that had to be scary for you. When I lived in Missoula I had horses, too, and was absolutely horse crazy. Guess it's just part of being "in that part of the country"!

The last time I was on a horse was about 15 years ago, in the Dallas area I got to ride a World Champion Tennessee Walker who was old and "put out to pasture" so to speak, owned by a friend, what an experience, like sitting in a rocking chair! Much easier than what I was used to, that's for sure.

Best of luck to you and your "babies", what a neat life you have, you are blessed!

• botann
    13 years ago

I am so glad Mandy came through this OK and you found the problem.

You live in a beautiful part of eastern Wa. I used to work at the Union Pacific Depot in Fairfield in 1964 and 5.
    Mike...showing his age.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mnwsgal and Thyme- Thank you...and I will take some more pictures.

Ogrose- Thank you, too, and my mom has ridden a Tennessee Walker and described it the same way...but he wasn't a world champion! How fun.

Mike- Thank you...and we live close to Fairfield, just northeast of Rockford :)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County