Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22262128

October Blooms.

User
9 years ago

I posted the pictures of October Blooms back in October but didn't have the video made,..so here it is for those who can view it.

Philip

Video===October Blooms 2014

Comments (16)

• frogview00
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Sometime I wish you would narrate the video and describe the plants instead of the music. It would be very informative.
    Jim

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,

Thank you!,..yes i have had people ask for a narrative and i did try this with a video while visiting an old building in England some time back,..i honestly hated hearing my own voice,..it felt just like talking to myself and mumbling into the bargain,..then pointing the camera at a date then reading out what could be read by a viewer,..i still squirm when looking at this video.

I might try adding the name of the plant to the picture to see would it work though i would have to change the colour of the print for certain pictures,..i will experiment'

Philip

Eschscholzia californica,'California Poppy'.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jan 9th,..Cotoneaster Dammeri,..we had a heavy frost.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jan 9th,.."Peach",..before the frost.

• frogview00
    9 years ago

Hi Phillip,
    Names are fine, but it would be of interest for size and special requirements (if any) for your clime. Or how they perform, ie..the height of the Glads for instance.
    Jim

ps. I have a cat named Phil. He's got the Devil in him. Very Cheeky!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Phillip, as alway a delightful stroll through your garden thank you.
    Now some questions....
    I love the way you have plants spilling out of your rock wall, which ones do you use?
    Which mahonia and is it fragrant?
    Any tricks you can pass on to growing delphiniums, they are so short lived for me :(.
    Your Clematis 'Freckles' is far more covered in bloom then mine is and yours seems to bloom much earlier than mine, pouting here a bit.

Annette

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Lol about your cat named Phil,..he seems to have a similar personality to me.

Well you are leading me in the right direction re giving descriptions of my plants,..my Gladioli for example are really August blooms but will still be flowering in October,..about three foot high,..they do like water so with so much rain here they thrive.

Philip

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Annette,
    Delighted you took the stroll through the garden though not a lot to be seen in October.

I imagine you get a colder climate during Winter than here and so perhaps your Delphiniums do not survive the Winter where as mine pop up again come Spring,..our traditional Spring starts on the 1st of Feb but the official start is 22nd of March.

My Delphiniums do self seed so i always get a few new plants,..however just in case we have a bad Winter i take cuttings from the base of the plant and over Winter them in the hot house,..the same as i do with Lupine,..its not a heated house just under cover so to speak but it works.

My Mahonia is Mahonia japonica very tall and the flowers do have a scent though not very strong,..mine was from a cutting back in 2004,..i intend reducing its size this year and will plant the branch i cut off,..hoping it will take root.

The plants in the rock wall are Campanula,..Oxalis debilis and Sedum,..oh not forgetting Moss,..all are planted in old socks full of soil and if the soil is kept moist most type of plants will thrive.

Ah yes the Clematis Freckles is doing great,..it started blooming early Spring and is in full bloom just now,..lol sorry you are pouting,..its our weather.

The VERY tall Mahonia japonica,..pictured in June.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

9th Jan,..Mahonia Japonica,..in bloom,..doesn't need any care at all,..except when you brush against it lol,..very prickly leaves.

Philip

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wall in June,..hoping it will fill in this season.

• frogview00
    9 years ago

Hi Phillip!
    I'll bet Annette has the closest growing climate to yours. But most of the US (well..z7/8) has short Springs and looooong hot summers. That makes the plants and flowers grow differently (and I'm NO plant authority). I have never been to Ireland (although I am a short tempered Irishman with a lack of tact), but I have been to the UK several times and was in shock because of the growth and bloom size due to the long Springs and mild Summers. So I wonder about that kind of thing in your magnificent garden.
    I can't remember if I asked you if you use sheep manure. I would drive forty miles just to dig up a truck load sheep poop .

Jim

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

The Cotoneaster with frost is a lovely photo! It's always a pleasure to see views of your gardens, Phillip. Thanks for posting.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Yes i imagine Annette though in the USA can grow most of the plants i grow,..you have looong hot summers indeed,..our seasons get all mixed up into each other though i am not complaining,..sheep manure lol,..i do manage to get some and its easier to collect than cow manure,..oh some sheep i met early one morning,..below,..top left video,..its short.

glengarry23's album

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi nhbabs,
    Delighted you had a view,..its great to see Spring is so close,..the buds are appearing all over the place and new shoots above the surface,

Philip

• frogview00
    9 years ago

LOVED IT! LOVED YOUR DOG!

Fabulous clips. I watched them all. Ants??? Looked like termites to me.

You have a very pleasant sounding voice.

Jim

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,

Wow,..you looked at all the short clips,..its a good place to post the short clips and use YouTube for the longer ones,..glad you liked them,..oh those insects are very similar to Termites but the body is only slightly different,..mine are called Alates but still Ants until some time in Summer they develop wings come to the surface and swarm then fly off to start new colonies,..the Swallows have a great feed during this time.

So you like Molly,..she is 11 years old now,..don't they age fast,..my other dog lived to 18 years and still sadly missed.

The voice,..thanks for the compliment,..though i still hate hearing it on playback lol.

Another picture of Lavatera,'Barnsley Baby',..its also called "Lavatera x clemantii",..has very Hollyhock looking flowers and blooms from June to September,..though here it still blooms up to the end of October/November,..its a Hardy and likes full sun,..spreads to approx 24 inches (60 cm),..Height 30 inches (75 cm),..attracts Bees and Butterflies.

Pictured last day of October.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH