Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

My first Winter

aimeekitty
13 years ago

I'm surprised at what stuff looks rather charming right now. A lot of plants are taking on reddish hues (stems included) and some of the roses that have dared to bloom (in January, 50 degree F weather) are more intense in color than they were this summer. This is my first winter with a planted garden of my own.

One of the best successes of the front were these ornamental kale and violas that I planted this fall. They've done really great. They'll probably die down once it gets hot, but I'm definitely replanting these next fall.

{{gwi:637380}}

AGH. Look at that color. SO GORGEOUS.

{{gwi:637381}}

Some south african bulbs that I forgot what they are. Maybe Balbania or Ixia? These are in the front yard, since it drains better than the back.

{{gwi:637382}}

Chinese Ground Orchid. 3 of them survived (which you see) and 3 of them rotted. Never bloomed, but they look healthy enough. Maybe I'll get lucky next year?

{{gwi:637383}}

Guara looking particular red in the winter. This was a great plant all year surviving all kinds of heat and abuse. I love the way it looks like floating butterflies and partially screens the other plants.

{{gwi:637384}}

Lily of the Nile. A real trouper all year. I think the dried seed heads are pretty, too. (the plant itself, below, is bright green right now)

{{gwi:637385}}

Who's looking extra happy right now? They got eaten once by -something- and then came back and haven't been eaten since.

{{gwi:637386}}

This little baby... I don't know what -exactly- it is. Lots of daisy-like flowers seemed to falter when I planted them, but this thing made a happy mochi-like loaf and bloomed it's head off, all year, even blooming NOW. It rests a bit and then starts blooming again. I want more of it like WOAH. Love the lemony color of the petals, too.

If anyone knows what it is, let me know!?

{{gwi:637387}}

I bought this catmint by accident because I couldnt find Walker's Low nepeta... so this is your everyday, catmint. But unlike many other things in the yard (which died), this little mound of catmint flourished and really added some lovely foliage to the spot I put it. I'll probably add more this year. I also liked the changing colors of the leaves.

{{gwi:637388}}

Sea Lavender, planted this fall. Gotta get more. Hasn't bloomed yet, but it's been really healthy for a while and I really like the leaves.

{{gwi:637389}}

Tried this plant on a lark, it seems to do well in the pot, though eventually I'll have to get it a bigger pot.

Blue Angel's Trumpet.

{{gwi:637390}}

The Bloodlily did really well in it's pot this year, too.

{{gwi:637391}}

My weeping cherry, Snow Fountain

{{gwi:637392}}

ROSES:

Alchemist, which is one of my only once-blooming roses, never bloomed for me this year, but that's ok. I'm still hopeful for next year. It also grew alot which gives it points in my book. A nice added bonus is the coloring it's leaves are taking on this winter. Isn't that a lovely golden color?

{{gwi:205424}}

Compassionate Friend.

{{gwi:205425}}

Larry Daniels. Don't you think the hot pink tinge on the edge of the petals is gorgeous? D:

{{gwi:205426}}

Lavender Pink, which was green just a month ago, is now a gorgeous orange. This little sucker just kept blooming all year, even when I clipped buds.

{{gwi:205427}}

Jude the Obscure, which did well all year and it's blooms are just TO DIE FOR (both appearance and fragrance). Probably my favorite rose of this year. Right now the leaves are turning darker and the stems turning red.

{{gwi:205428}}

Carding Mill. It made a valiant showing for a later addition to the yard. None of it's blooms were spectacular, but it tried. I'll hold out for next year. I thought the red stems and the intense hot pink bud was lovely right now. (Normally this rose is a peachy color)

{{gwi:205430}}

Lyda Rose

{{gwi:205431}}

My darling, Madame Alfred Carriere. LOOK HOW BIG SHE IS. GROW MY PRETTY, GROW.

{{gwi:205432}}

Another one of my favorites from this year, Rita Sammons. It blooms all the time and there's just something about the whole look of the plant that's romantic.

{{gwi:205433}}

Comments (8)

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful colors of foliage and blossoms in your first winter garden. Ornamental kale is a must have plant for my fall garden.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

All lovely. Pat yourself on the back for a good job.
    Where do you live?

Kathy

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I live in Southern California

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Nice work, espcially for your first year! Your pale lemon daisy looks like Argyranthemum frutescens which might well be perennial in your climate. You can increase it by cuttings. They come in white and pink too. A similar yellow daisy, with darker yellow flowers, is Euryops which is smothered in flowers all through winter in mild climates. I'm sure it would work for you. This photo was taken on January 2nd 2010 in Cornwall (far SW of England).

{{gwi:637393}}

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Looking good! I especially love that red stem on Carding Mill - even the leaves are edged in red. Beautiful! Nice to see what others are growing. Love the kale and violas. I tried some kale here - the deer ate them!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Everything looks great! You have done so much work. Roses blooming in January, you lucky gardener. I can't wait to see the progress you make over this next year.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flora - OH YEAY! THANKYOU! I think it's "Marguerite Daisy 'Lemon Sugar'
    Argyranthemum frutescens".

I'll try cuttings, but I'm pretty lame at that so far. Not very good at starting from seed, either. D:

holley - yes! I just loved that bright fushcia stem on Carding Mill!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Aimeekitty, have you tried growing seed with the wintersown method? If you are unfamiliar with it, you can head over to the wintersown forum for the scoop, or just ask here to start and I (and others) would be happy to give you some info.

Bev

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH