Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scully931

A few snapshots of my garden last summer

scully931
13 years ago

It got cold here again after a few days of 65 degrees! So I thought I'd share some warm weather pictures. I didn't get as many good shots last year. Looking forward to this coming year, though, because I just got a new camera with some cool special effects. Anyway, hope you enjoy as much as I have enjoyed looking at everyone else's beautiful photos. :-)

I planted this catmint only the previous autumn. It was gorgeous, but even in one year got enormous! Had to spread them out at the end of the season.

{{gwi:637602}}

"SIX DEER AND A SQUIRREL" This was early, early spring. Keep in mind... I live in a city! My house must be on the tourist brochure.

{{gwi:637603}}

One of my favorite areas of the garden in spring.

{{gwi:637604}}

{{gwi:637605}}

Okay... I did not know those grasses were going to get SOOO BIG! (They were on clearance and didn't have any tags. Going to redo this area this spring. Getting too crazy out there and hiding my cute little house.

{{gwi:637606}}

Hedwig passing judgement on my gardens.

{{gwi:637607}}

Summer.

{{gwi:637608}}

{{gwi:637609}}

Thought I was safe so I took down the squirrel baffle. Five minutes later...

{{gwi:637610}}

Every year when my mom comes to visit for a couple weeks, we take on a new project. This was this year's project!

BEFORE:

{{gwi:637611}}

AFTER: (The grape is now completely covering the trellis)

{{gwi:637612}}

Finally, a panoramic view of a few of my gardens. (Wish I had trimmed the grass first. haha)

{{gwi:637613}}

Thanks for looking!

~Deborah

Comments (16)

• lily51
    13 years ago

Beautiful! And blue hydrangeas! Can see why you have a fence, though.
    Thanks for sharing these and giving us hope that spring is not far away.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Wonderfully pretty. And cute house is right. The photo of the deer and squirrel is something, right in your back yard! The woodsy scene beyond is very nice.

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

Wow! I love your gardens and your garden art. I live in town, but my lot backs up against a wooded ravine. Deer visit here, too. One shouldered down a shrub to make his way in. They're pretty, though, and otherwise haven't done much damage.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Lovely gardens! The deer and squirrel look right at home (LOL) Your bleeding heart and hydrangea are just beautiful.

How fun that you and your mom do a project every year. My mom and I do that, too :)

• docmom_gw
    13 years ago

You've got lots of butterfly favorites. Do you get much butterfly activity? I love your monarda patch by the "squirrel feeder". Your path looks great, too. I like mulch paths because they're not permanent. If you ever change your mind, you can do something else easily.

Martha4

• scully931
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, yes. Many butterflies and two competative hummingbirds! That was the first year for the mondara. I think I'm addicted to them now! :-) Wish they lasted the whole summer. I think I was supposed to cut them down right after flowering so maybe this year they'll bloom twice.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

It's so nice to see these pictures on a day like today ! Your monarda combo is so pretty. I'm going to keep that in mind when we can finally buy plants again. I think your pic of the arch with the pathway is just perfect! And it's awesome to see your overall view , sometimes it's hard to picture a whole garden piece by piece. So lovely!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

L.O.V.E.L.Y. I am soooo envious of that lovely statue you have in your perennial border! And your Astilbe is HUGE. Mine never is as nice as yours.
    These pics get me in the mood for spring and planting time! Thanks for pics.

Ps. Hedwig is adorable ;-)
    CMK

• scully931
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lily!

Yes, that is a crazy astilbe. I have a lot of them, but that one gets higher than the rest.

CMK - that statue came from Gabriel Bros. (discount store, if you don't know... kind of junky) I paid $40 for it! Keep wishing I could find another like it.

• Annie
    13 years ago

I loved looking through your garden snapshots. Very pretty garden from all angles. Your project turned out so nice!

I love animals of all sorts, so loved your wildlife pics. :)
    ~Annie

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

When I was growing up, our neighbor's name was Hedwig.
    Boy do I covet your blue hydrangeas. Not the deer though.
    I had a love / hate relationship with deer at my former home.
    They are around here, as I see them in the greenbelt.

Yes, a really cute house.

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing! Fantastic!

• armyyife
    13 years ago

Very cute house and gardens! Nepta is one of my all time favorite plants!

• hurlee
    13 years ago

very cute! I love your side path with the arbor! very cottagy :)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Ahhh, Eye Candy!!! Thank You!!! I have been pouting for days as we just got some more snow...grrr! I have so many plans for my yard, but I am a horrible winter wimp!ha! I hope to one day be looking at a wonderful yard like yours!!!

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Your Monarda/bee balm varieties? Do you save any seeds and try to start others?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living