Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

For Schoolhouse - Tasha Tudor's Garden

Annie
12 years ago

This is a Japanese film featuring Tasha Tudor. (10 minutes)

Some of the Hollyhocks I have growing in my garden came from her garden which I got years ago.

I also got a start of those white Peonies via my mother. I now have two big clumps. In the video, Tasha says she can't recall the name of it - does it really matter?

Mother looks so like her. I think I will too someday, although I didn't get any of those skinny Burgess-Fuller genes like Mother's younger sister and Grannie's sisters did. My older sister got the skinny genes and also the hard-nosed "prickly" Massachusetts genes like Grannie.

It is almost impossible to have a lush garden like hers, let alone an English Garden, here in Oklahoma. Things like Peonies that grow in full sun in more gentle climates elsewhere, must be grown here with dappled day-time shade and full afternoon shade or they burn up with our scorching summers and even in some springs. Roses, Clematis, Heliotrope and even the simple Geraniums just can't take the full sun on my farm here in Central Oklahoma. Mores the pity. But it doesn't stop me from trying.

I treasure & adore Tasha Tudor...

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Tasha Tudor in her Garden

Comments (6)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

How wonderful. I've never seen this video of Tasha in her gardens. Thanks for posting! I also watched a couple more, now I'm going to be late getting to the library before they close because I have dishes to do first and my hair needs washing! lol

Yes, I know what you mean about probably not ever having such a lush garden as hers; but that's why we start early getting those most important "bones" planted and wait patiently for all the rest to come. As I've said many times before here, my garden has matured and most flowers and their borders are old now and it's time to start over. Such is the way of the garden.

• teakettle2
    12 years ago

Thank you Annie for sharing that wonderful little video. I love Tasha Tudor. I planted a Heritage rose because she said she loved them.
    Someday....maybe...my garden will look like that..

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

My husband called from up on the North Slope of Alaska while I was watching the video clip. He asked me what I was doing and so I told him...he is sure to tease me for a long time about spring fever setting in!

You may not be able to grow the same plants as they can in Vermont, but I think you are well on your way to getting the look and feel of the best that cottage gardens can be. All of the pictures you have shared with us over the years shows that you are well on your way.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    12 years ago

OH thank you! Thank you! I am a huge Tasha fan, and had never seen this before. I hopw someday to be able to visit her garden, although I am in Minnesota and they only have tours once maybe twice a summer.

Someday I hope my garden will look like this.

Jenny P

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I truly love this video that is so well done by the Japanese film maker. I love the way the camera flies overhead and follows Tasha and her Corgi around in the garden.
    I love her wry wit and prickly, yet somehow dear and sweet personality. So much like my Grannie.
    It is a wonderful video.
    Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I will watch it again and again and take notes!
    ~Annie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I thorough enjoyed the video too, I've seen a couple of shows featuring Tasha Tudor over the years I sure wish I had recorded them. On one they were eating ice cream made from her goat's milk. She was one remarkable lady, and her garden, sighhhhhh.

Annette

Sponsored