Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghoghunter

Question re California poppies

ghoghunter
12 years ago

I have 2 packs of California poppies. I know some kinds of poppies can be sown outside really early like even over snow but these say sow in well warmed soil. Are the California ones different? Should I wait to sow them. I was thinking of sprinkling the seeds this week but it is still cold here in the Northeast.

Joann

Comments (7)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Hi Joann!
    California poppies are not the same thing as regular poppies. The poppies you can sow early are Papavers (many different species), while California poppies are Eschscholzia californica. Papavers are known for being cool weather plants and can handle being sprinkled/sown in early spring or even winter.

I've found California poppies to be a bit picky about sowing time. While they do reseed from year to year, sowing too early in spring can be a problem. I direct sowed after the last frost date last year and didn't get any germination. I'm thinking the unusual soggy and cooler temps kept them from germinating, so sowing in winter would definitely not work. Although last year I still did get some reseeding from the previous year, lol. IâÂÂm thinking that the seed from the previous year had a chance to sort of âÂÂestablishâ themselves in the ground during the warmer temperatures of fall. Just guessing though, could be totally wrong about that, lol.

This spring I plan to wait until it gets a bit warmer before direct sowing. They tend to bloom later summer for me anyway, so I don't think it will be a problem sowing later. California poppies have long tap roots that likely donâÂÂt transplant well, else I would be trying to start them early under my grow light!
    Hope that helps a little ;-)
    CMK

• ghoghunter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks CMK! I will hold onto them until it warms up!
    Joann

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Joann - I checked my sprout chart and I sowed CA poppy seeds in a recycled milk jug (winter sowing) on April 27 and they sprouted on May 3 so it only took them a week to sprout in the milk jug. I planted them out once they got some size to them and they bloomed & reseeded enthusiastically.

• ghoghunter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Gardenweed!

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

The CA poppies will naturalize in areas here in CA that have snow and cold (as well as the warmer areas - they're adaptable). I've been making mud pies of 3/4 coffee grounds (to hopefully confuse the birds), 1/4 soil, wet with water add CA poppie seeds and freeze in ice cube trays - then tossing it out over my hillside. Last year I just sprinkled them out (before winter) but the birds got most of those. They normally bloom in spring and early summer as they dislike heat - they bloom throughout summer along the cooler coastal areas. If you have really hot and dry summers, you'll want to plant them earlier for a longer bloom season, but if you're generally temperate - they'll be fine anytime.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• ianna
    12 years ago

They are not poppies at all. I grow them easily here in Ontario (Canada). Just as soon as the weather warms up, I sow the seeds and soon sprouts come up. No other special treatment. These things do naturalize in the wild with no amendments.

If birds are a problem, I would suggest mixing the seeds with grit or sprinkling sand over them.

• ghoghunter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas!! Poppies are so cheerful and colorful and I just love them! I am so eager for Spring!
    Joann