Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Many photos of my Barn Bed - Hot Colors

gottagarden
12 years ago

I'm finally looking at all those pictures I took this summer. This is my barn bed, I've posted in previous years, but now you can see how it's changing over time. I've let it get a bit overgrown by the gold thugs, and need to thin a lot this spring.

(BTW I'm cross posting this to the perennials forum, the other forum I follow.)

The barn is a little ways from the house, and I usually walk there through my vegetable garden. Well, it's got some vegetables, but the gloriosa daisies have seeded in and they were so pretty I let them be. For this year.

{{gwi:196380}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

It's late to get started, peaking in July, August and September.

{{gwi:196381}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

July

{{gwi:196382}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

euphorbia fireglow and poppies
{{gwi:196383}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

July - lilies, poker plant, maltese cross, gaillardia
{{gwi:196384}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

Too much gold here, going to remove the black eyed susans.

But the back row is 6-7 feet tall with no staking. Cup plant and outhouse flower.
{{gwi:196385}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

The south end is soft yellows in early July. I've hardly changed this at all over the years, the plants are well behaved and don't spread too much. One day I want to change this to hot colors, but I never have the time and it's pretty as is, and low maintenance.
{{gwi:196386}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows
{{gwi:196387}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

{{gwi:196388}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows
{{gwi:196389}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

By late July this bed is quite overgrown.

{{gwi:196390}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

My bench is almost hidden, but accessible from a small path running through the middle. The paint is fading, I'm thinking of going with dark orange. Or dark blue. What do you think?

{{gwi:196391}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows
{{gwi:196392}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows
{{gwi:196393}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows
{{gwi:196394}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

When you ask a boy to smile, this is what you get

{{gwi:196395}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

In October, I've still got grasses, and the maximilian sunflower.

{{gwi:196397}}From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

Comments (24)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you, just what I needed to brighten up this foggy, dreary looking morning. No snow to speak of here yet, and the groundhog didn't see his shadow, is it wishful thinking that we might actually have a spring, never mind an early one this year? As always Brenda your flowerbeds are an inspiration.

Annette

• bellarosa
    12 years ago

Brenda,

Your garden just gets more beautiful every year!! Thanks so much for sharing your pics. A great treat during these dreary Winter months.

Evelyn

• bouquet
    12 years ago

Thank you! - its always a pleasure to see your garden!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

What gorgeous pictures, you have done a beautiful job!

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

That is a most beautiful, gorgeous garden! And I also love that barn!!!

• Cher
    12 years ago

Really lovely gardens. Lush and such beautiful colors you've put together.
    Cher

• aklinda
    12 years ago

Very beautiful - I love it. I would go with blue on the bench to contrast all of the warm colors.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Another job well done. How old is that border? For that matter, how long have you been gardening on your property, and how much property do you have? It looks fairly flat from your photos and like you have sectioned it off quite nicely for different types of gardens (all of which make me swoon). Seems like you have a nice expanse of property to really have some fun!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Everything looks wonderful. I needed all that color today!

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THanks everyone! I should add that this REALLY is a low maintenance bed. In the fall I go through with a weedwhacker and cut everything down. In the spring I mulch every other year. That's it! No staking, and things are planted so tightly there's really no weeding. (well there are weeds, but I just ignore them, they can't compete well with these hardy plants.)

The bed is probably 6 years old, and I've been at this house almost 10 years! Don't know how that's possible. Got 45 acres of gently rolling land, not quite flat, except around the barn.

I really can't throw plants away. And I didn't know what to do with all those gold and oranges that I didn't really care for. So they wound up here in the "reject bed". When I started, I didn't really care for orange that much, now I love it and am looking for more. Funny, but our tastes do change over the years.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Brenda, I am so with you on colors: oranges were a big no-no in my garden, and now I can't get enough of them.
    Your gardens are an inspiration! You must have more then 24 hours in a day - how do you manage it all?!
    As far as the chair is concerned - I would go with a pop of purple.
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
    ~Natalie

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Amazing Brenda! I am blown away.
    So, how often do you have to water this area? Do you have a sprinkler system/soaker hose in the area to take care of watering for you?

Is that an Inula in the back of your yellow bed?
    Is that Spirea 'Ogon'? Love the texture.

I'm in love with your light yellow bed. Light yellow is a favorite color of mine, particularly in the garden. I've always wanted to do a space devoted to light yellows, but with a few pops of blue and white (just cuz' I love those colors together!).

Superb Brenda! Thanks for showing...
    CMK

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Pretty, pretty, pretty. I like the idea of a reject bed. lol.

• anitamo
    12 years ago

Fantastic!!! It's making me so ready for spring.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!

Christin, no watering needed, I just let rain take care of it. These plants are all pretty tough and don't need extra water. (daylilies, shasta daisy, black eyed susan, outhouse plant, echinaceas, etc.) If they're not tough, they don't make it. This is my almost no maintenance bed.

Yes, that is cup plant (inula) that a friend gave me. Spriraea ogon is my favorite, I have it in several beds, it's stunning in all seasons. My patio bed is also soft yellows, whites, and true blues; I love those colors together.

I'll probably go with a dark purply blue for the bench, watch for it in next year's photos.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I so wish I had a border like that again. I'm just no good at it anymore, and I've tried twice. But seeing your photos just makes me want to go out and buy trunk loads of Black Eyed Susans and Daisies. Like you say they are so hardy and reliable once established. Sigh.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

That is amazing for a "reject bed"! Very pretty and wonderful it's so low maintenance.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Inspirational!!! I GOTTA do the mass planting...so far I have been a plant here and there gal!

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love it all! Is that eremurus poking up in the one picture? It is labeled Foxglove but it sure looks like eremurus! It must be heaven for your polinators and birds!
    Joann

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Your photos of these beds got me started on my yellow and orange craze. They made me realize that I needed some white to make it all cheerful and pretty rather than hot and dry looking. Each year when my gold, white, and orange cosmos bloom I think about your beautiful barn beds.
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Brenda,

As always, your photos are a delight! What a beautiful garden you grow!
    kay

• FlowerLady6
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, how beautiful and lush. Your gardens always look wonderful!

FlowerLady

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I don't know if I could get by with no water, but probably low water...thanks for the inspiration. It's so nice to see such sunny colors, in the middle of winter :)

• susieq68
    12 years ago

Beautiful...I'd go with the blue bench to make it "pop"..