Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
branches and sticks everywhere

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 9:52

I don't know what it was about this winter (yeah, I know, not over yet!) but my garden, both front and back yards, and orchard are littered with small dead branches and sticks. I try to keep the ones in the front yard picked up. The privet arch is a mess. So much dead growth not only littering the floor but inside the hedge itself. Is this the last year for my beloved privet arch? I say that every Spring but it sure looks beleaguered. I suppose after 30yrs. it's bound to be. Then again, new growth is always there so all I have to do is wait another 25yrs to see it all green and arched again!

Maybe it's a sign of poor or the lack of pruning of all my old trees and shrubs. At least the daffs are coming full force and there are lots of buds on the flowering shrubs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: branches and sticks everywhere

I think it will all be ok. It's just the circle of life. In a very new garden, the growth is thin and flexible. In a more mature garden, there will be twigs and branches that fall or snap. Have you read about hugelkultur (sp?) they are talking about it on the soil/compost forum. It's a way to use your fallen branches and twigs. Very interesting. I bet once you prune and shape your privet, it will respond beautifully. Thank goodness for the daffodils I say!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here