Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter finally arrived

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 11:43

Looks like we're going to get a touch of winter after all, this is what we woke up to this morning. Up until now we've had it pretty mild for this time of year.
I guess the garden cleanup I was planning will be put on hold for at least a few days. I took this picture from the kitchen window while I was waiting for the toast to pop.
Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter finally arrived

Beautiful photo.

Actually had some sun this morning, no snow; but another round is coming our way this week. It will be interesting to see what has survived this winter.

o

Very pretty, Annette. That would fit right in here in northern Michigan.

TM

o

Yep. Here in Michigan we feel like we've been transported to Narnia and the White Witch still has her wintery grip on the land. Always winter but never spring. Heavy snows and frigid temps every day, and no end in site. The piles of snow at the end of every driveway make it truly dangerous to leave home every day, since you can't see whether any traffic is coming.

o

That's very pretty but a lot of snow for your usually temperate zone. However does occasionally occur which I know well since we spent late fall/early winter in your area in 2008 when there was record snow.

Remaining cold for a few days there I hear. We're in a real freeze with temps down to -26C (which is -15F for those in the US). I don't mind, I just tell myself it's eradicating any bad bugs that thought they'd winter over.

o

Our temps have been dipping to -8 C some nights, we still have a skimming of snow on the ground due to low temperatures but they say it's going to warm up a bit on the weekend. That could mean we'll get some more snow :(. This is the first year snowdrops have suffered, some of them have keeled over, they look pitiful.

Annette

o

The snow has gone, the sun is out and it's quite mild now. My snowdrops have recovered along with the Hellebores which I thought were toast for sure. I've grown Hellebores for years and have never seen them keeled over before. I think it happened because we had it so mild the first part of winter, everything had started to grow and then Wam!!! the deep freeze hit. I actually got a bit of weeding done today. I've got an invasion of Herb Robert and Buttercup, I don't think I'll ever get rid of :(.

Annette

o

Gorgeous pic, Annette!! I don't come over here nearly enough these days.
You're out weeding - oh my - I'd have to move a considerable amount of snow to even see the ground. I think I'll look at my seed catalogs and dream instead!!

Nancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here