Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Lilac Recommendation

jenangelcat
12 years ago

I'm looking for a nice smelling, non-suckering lilac.

Does it exist?

Comments (6)

• phoebe
    12 years ago

I'm having the same questions, I remember a few posts in the "Shrubs" section, but put your query/question into Google and add gardenweb to your list of keywords.

There are some non-suckering fragrant lilacs, but they are not as fragrant as the suckering types. Some of the non-spreading types are downright stinky, although they do have lovely flowers, and some lilacs have rebloom (not strongly repeat though), and some have fall color as well.

• reginaz
    12 years ago

James MacFarland is very a fragrant,rose pink lilac that doesn't sucker. It blooms about one to two weeks after the other lilacs blooms. I've had it for many years.
    This is not the best picture but I don't have a close up.

{{gwi:639028}}

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I don't know of one, but I would recommend the old fragrant lilacs, even though they can sucker. It's so wonderful, when they're all blooming in the spring!

My purple lilacs tend to sucker, but mainly at the base, creating a very large bush. Of course, they're sixty years old, too! The white lilacs are much taller and straighter and also sucker, but they seem to act more like birch trees, not just coming from the base and making a bigger shrub, but creating new lilacs all around.

If you mow around them, that will keep them under control. Probably why we see the old, fragrant lilacs as hedges, rather than specimen plants :)

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, maybe I'll just get regular old suckering variety. I have a garden surrounded by a picket fence. I want to plant large flowering shrubs behind the fence for privacy and summer wind block. I want a nice fragrant lilac but don't want to deal with suckers in my flower bed.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I moved a few of the white ones, into the fairy garden...and so far, no suckers. That was about two years ago...and they were about 4' tall, when I moved them.

Lilacs make an excellent wind block (which is why you see them on so many farms) and the leaves are very pretty. I never prune mine and they do very well, but they always seem to have the best blooms, after a winter with a lot of snow.

Here's the apple tree, in front of the lilac hedge...but it's a big apple tree. {{gwi:83916}}From Lavender's Garden

Here's another shot, more with the lilacs. The lavender ones on the left side of the gap are easily 16' to 18' tall and the others are probably 12' tall. That's the old farmhouse, behind them. {{gwi:639029}}From Lavender's Garden

• party_music50
    12 years ago

One that I fear I may lose this year: 'Mme. Lemoine'. It is the most gorgeous double-white and the fragrance is wonderful.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists