Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

What I did yesterday in the garden - PIC heavy

Annie
12 years ago

Here are some pictures of what I did yesterday.

"The Heathen" helped with the digging and heavy lifting. I just can't do it anymore. But it was fun. The dogs joined in on all the fun. We had a good time.

1). The garden gate & the concrete culvert piece were rescued from my parent's old home-place before it was demolished last summer. The culvert piece will be my new Lily Pond.

{{gwi:639144}}

2).

{{gwi:639145}}

3).

{{gwi:639146}}

4). I had Scotty set the culvert pipe (to become a Lily pond) here where it gets full sun most of the day. A good location for my Hardy Water Lilies. It will contain white and/or soft pink lilies and a few little goldfish to keep down the mosquitoes and add more interest to the garden. Note the budded white Lilac bush to the front left of picture. It sits back about four feet away and will make a nice backdrop for the lily pond, eventually.

{{gwi:639147}}

5). Another view of the gate - going to plant a climbing white Iceberg Rose (or something similar with no thorns) on the south (left) side. Provincial Lavender was removed from its former (bad) position by the variegated Maiden Grass (left) and reset on the right side (north ) of the gate in full sun and better drainage next to some Penstemmon and tall bearded irises.

v{{gwi:639148}}

6). Steps leading up from the patio garden, showing the new additions and arrangement. Not set yet.

{{gwi:639149}}

More to come.

~Annie

Comments (6)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Annie, you know how much I love your garden, watching this latest transformation is kind of pulling at the heartstrings, it has me thinking of my grandpa's cottage garden by the sea.
    Seeing your garden brings back some very cherished memories I have of us strolling down one of the garden paths, the scent of roses, lavender and pinks wafting through the air. Birds and butterflies flitting about, a quick detour off the path to the shrub with the bladder-like seedpod to pop a few. I can't think of the name at the moment, it has yellow flowers.

At times I wandered around his garden alone taking in the simple beauty of it all, looking at the Foxgloves and Canterbury Bells, picking up acorns thinking they looked like pixie hats then lying in the grass watching the bees work the lavender hedge that edged one part of the garden.

Then feeling my eyes getting heavy I'd head off to the old horsehair leather couch on the sunny end of the porch for a nap, in the background the sound of the surf in the distance lulling me to sleep. Sighhhhh, such happy memories.

Annette

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Just enjoying your pics of the garden as you are posting them. It all looks so cottagey and comfy! I enjoy that laid back style. A bit envious of the country lifestyle you are living as I am such a country girl at heart and so long for that home in the woods..... Wish I was there to help you create your little piece of paradise. :)

Yesterday, I stayed in the house and watched it snow.....and snow....and snow....and then I went out and uncovered the feeders so the critters could find their food. It had to come sooner or later so it is nice to get on the forums and see springlike pics! Love it!

Ginny

• mrtoad
    12 years ago

thanks for all the photos

mr toad

• Kristi1931
    12 years ago

I bet that will be really pretty, a lily pond sounds wonderful!

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wonder why Tiny Pics deleted my first pic?
    Weird.

1). This is a view of the daylily garden where the white statue sits now:
    {{gwi:639150}}

2). This is a little better image of same garden bed. The statue is now situated next to where the Lamb's Ear is in this picture. The arch is set up to the right, back beyond the Redbud tree.
    {{gwi:639151}}

3). Some of the Daylilies and Coneflowers in that bed last year. This year, there will be many more daylilies or many more colors and 5 more roses.
    {{gwi:639153}}

~Annie

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

You are making me wish for Spring/Summer SO bad right now.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville