Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Everything is New!

jenangelcat
13 years ago

I'm so excited this year. I just wanted to share what's been going on with me.

I used to post about my garden over at my Rose Cottage blog but we have since moved from zone 3 in Northwestern Ontario to Zone 5-6 in Nova Scotia. We now have a 4 acre farm and I can't wait for spring to come to start gardening.

I am a little sad that I'll never get to see my peonies flower and that I didn't get to bring any of my plants with me. But I'm bursting with excitement at planning the new garden. I've already ordered a bunch of stuff; weigela, hydrangea, wisteria, butterfly bush, magnolia etc.

The property was a blank slate. We added some paddocks out back for our animals and had the front ploughed for our market garden. I have a 40x60 or so area directly out back for flowers and fun. I want a play area for the kids, an entertaining area for guests and lots and lots of flowers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Homestead in the Valley

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

What a wonderful move, I have friends who have lived in Nova Scotia, it's beautiful country!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

What fun to plant a garden in a totally new area. Enjoy!
    kay

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I really enjoyed the first few pages of your blog! What a gorgeous property you have and I love that your children are learning so much about farming and nature. And id love to have that much acreage! Oh the possibilities!!, can't wait to hear more from you! !

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

I wish we would have had things prepared to put the fall bulbs in. I guess it's better this way, to put the trees and shrubs in first.

The growing season is almost two months longer than where I used to live.

The first thing I need to do though is find the well. There's an unused dug well next to the house but we are running off a drilled well and can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions on how to find it?

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

Check locally to see if there's a dowser in the area.

Sponsored