Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most reliable spring bedding plants?

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 13:17

What are your most reliable spring bedding plants? Are there a few that you buy every year, because they brighten up your garden? What are your favorites?

Mine are stock and alyssum. Every spring, I put them out in the garden and they are wonderful! They don't mind the late freezes...and the purples, lavenders and whites are so cheerful with the bulbs.

What about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most reliable spring bedding plants?

Annual blue salvia, alyssum, snap dragons and pansies are the most reliable for planting in my garden. This year I plan on putting some Dusty Miller around the base of the birdhouse pole, then surround it with white alyssum.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 21:28

I guess our fall plantings down here would be the same as your spring. Pansies, violas, snapdragons, and dianthus all bloom fall through late spring. I planted a couple larkspur in the fall and sowed a bunch of seed from last year's flowers. The transplants are putting out flower stalks, but the seedlings are still pretty small. We've had so much cold weather this winter I'm guessing it stunted their growth. Hoping they put on a flush of growth when the weather finally warms.

o

I'm not used to buying bedding plants but I do vote for pansies. In anycase, I have a very tight garden bed and once the perennials are up, there's no room for the bedding plants. instead I sprinkle wildflower seeds and let them find room in the garden.

o

Our spring season is so short and sometimes too warm for many bedding plants. I plant some of the same things she does and intermix them with wonderful, bright and interestingly leafed veggies. It's such a pretty mix. I have more luck with spring flowers from seed, and then I feel like it's more economical too. They sell more spring flowers for containers here, but not so much at the big box stores anymore, I need to go to specialty nurseries to get what I need, even then, I've noticed a great change in the breadth of variety. Slim pickins! I can't wait to get a green house!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here